Mobile networks. Is it time for a change? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 14-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Mobile networks. Is it time for a change?

Been with O2 for years and the service is pretty good with good reception most places I go. But Their deals are crap and you can get a lot more from other networks. For 45 I can get IPhone6 16GB with unlimited calls and text and 1GBof data. But three are offering 64GB and 2 GB data for less money. is it a better network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

I switched to Three from EE (and didn't upgrade my phone - went sim only) and it's saving me 25 a month compared to my old contract.
So far I've found it to be pretty good and I get a decent signal most places. No complaints so far.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I'm with EE, can't really complain too much i guess... Got a decent enough deal when I signed up for the iPhone 5, now changed down to 13.99 a month and still have unlimited texts and plenty of internets
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Three are cheap and good value for data, their customer service however is so far beyond appalling it boggles the brain.

I went with a sheet windows phone for 80 and a cheap monthly tariff with EE.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'd be questioning do you really need to pay x for an iPhone when you can get Android or Windows for less? So many people call us up having spent hundreds on a phone and they want to call, text, surf a bit, e-mail and maybe an app or two or music and these can be done on pretty much any phone. I got my Lumia 920 (was top of the Windows range at the time) free on T-Mobile's (aka EE network now) 27 Full Monty for 21/month by threatening to leave. Dropped phone on concrete within 2hrs and got them to replace it free because it must have been faulty. Been solid (now it's in a case!) ever since. The 2 years were up in March and I'm waiting for an appropriate Windows 10 phone first I think. Oh and I get 300 mins, unlimited texts, unlimited data (including tethering) and it's 3.5G speeds.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I moved over to Three from Virgin about three years ago (there's a trend there ).
My GF is on EE.
In a nutshell, Three is way cheaper.
EE has far better coverage.

Depending where I am in the house I have no signal. I've noticed this with Three on my iPhone 5, that when I'm out of cities and towns the coverage 'up Norf' seems sketchy.

I have an app that uses my Wi-Fi when at home. It's hit and miss if works (incoming calls) and unless I'm in the same room as the router it drops connections something chronic.

I'm about to have a whine again at Three to get a device for home that connects to the Wi-Fi (like the app) but uses a phone signal. A booster as such and hope it will work better than the 'app'.

I have to be honest in that I went for Three (twice) because their deals are so good. For me though the network is a bit rubbish.
Might be better where you are.

What is good though is whilst I'm in Italy next week I take my allowance with me. It costs nothing at all. So good that my GF has bought a SIM that from Three for her phone for whilst we are in Italy.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I moved over to Three from Virgin about three years ago (there's a trend there ).
My GF is on EE.
In a nutshell, Three is way cheaper.
EE has far better coverage.

Depending where I am in the house I have no signal. I've noticed this with Three on my iPhone 5, that when I'm out of cities and towns the coverage 'up Norf' seems sketchy.

I have an app that uses my Wi-Fi when at home. It's hit and miss if works (incoming calls) and unless I'm in the same room as the router it drops connections something chronic.

I'm about to have a whine again at Three to get a device for home that connects to the Wi-Fi (like the app) but uses a phone signal. A booster as such and hope it will work better than the 'app'.

I have to be honest in that I went for Three (twice) because their deals are so good. For me though the network is a bit rubbish.
Might be better where you are.

What is good though is whilst I'm in Italy next week I take my allowance with me. It costs nothing at all. So good that my GF has bought a SIM that from Three for her phone for whilst we are in Italy.
Might be worth trying a different phone. My wife had an Iphone 5 and I have a Blackberry, both on Vodafone. In and around our home I always have full service, my wife with her Iphone has terrible service. It's not always the lack of coverage, more the fault of the handset.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 16-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I'd be questioning do you really need to pay x for an iPhone when you can get Android or Windows for less?.
Well to argue the other side here. I use my Iphone at work as well as at home. other people have android phones and IT do encourage the use of Android. However non of the android phones work properly having to use extra apps which don't fully work while everyone on Iphone doesn't seem to have any issues.

IT are pretty useless here mind
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

So they encourage the use of something which they know doesnt work properly?

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Might be worth trying a different phone. My wife had an Iphone 5 and I have a Blackberry, both on Vodafone. In and around our home I always have full service, my wife with her Iphone has terrible service. It's not always the lack of coverage, more the fault of the handset.
As it happens I'm using an Acer Android phone currently. We are going on holiday next week and I am leaving my iPhone at home because I tend to just put items down and don't realise it.
The Android phone is admittedly a cheap Acer one but the reception is just as bad. I do however know where you are coming from. My iPhone 4 was better than this 5s's signal reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Well to argue the other side here. I use my Iphone at work as well as at home. other people have android phones and IT do encourage the use of Android. However non of the android phones work properly having to use extra apps which don't fully work while everyone on Iphone doesn't seem to have any issues.

IT are pretty useless here mind
That's pretty standard IT methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
So they encourage the use of something which they know doesnt work properly?

IT personnel have no say in what hardware to use most of the time. Bean counters dictate such things. Here, we do control the phones and we supply Windows phones to the business and they work! However you can use your iPhone or Android of which I am. I refused my work phone based on the fact I either just forwarded it to my own phone or took two out with me. So I bought my own and use that

I've learned something in life. It is not politicians that make a country work, they just act upon the three main professionals.
1) Scientists
2) Engineers, they make the scientist discovery a reality. (my favourite)
3) Bean counters. They dictate to all others what is cheapest and often short term. Make the best use of the scientist discovery null and void in favour of a cheaper alternative. The engineer quite often never gets chance to make it reality.
Politicians make decisions based on all of the above (ideally)

So really it's bean counters that run the country, Full stop
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I'm just in the middle of switching from 3 to Vodafone on my phone as my contract is nearly up. The tablet is staying on 3 for the time being.

I've nothing against 3, but my work place is on the edge of having a reception from all the major suppliers. Most of the windows have recently been covered with some kind of protection from the sun and the phone signal indoors has gone from poor to unusable.

Vodafone is our company supplier and with over 3000 people on site they have some kind of mast/booster on one of our offices so they work fine.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
So really it's bean counters that run the country, Full stop
sad, but true

It used to be that creatives were in charge, now bean counters have the trump cards, without necessarily having the faintest idea how to make (or grow) beans

I'm on o2 at the mo, considering a switch to giffgaff or maybe even a BT 'Package'
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Im with giffgaff which is O2 only cheaper and better package deal, the only issue is they are just as krap as O2.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Ditch the bundled phone: Saves 10-20 Euros a month on French tariffs depending on the network.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I live in a rural area where EE has the least worst coverage (works everywhere except in my house for some reason) but all networks are patchy. I think it's time the network infrastructure was merged so that your phone can pick up whatever signal is available and you simply choose your service provider - a bit like the energy companies if you will, one company runs the infrastructure country-wide (National Grid) and others provide the service. It seems absurd to me that there are a number of networks duplicating the same service in some areas while others have no service at all. David Cameron was talking a while ago about forcing the phone companies to allow network sharing in rural areas - the sooner the better in my view.
AO Gold Member

Try tesco. Deals are usually cheaper plus they run 2 contracts together one is for your phone and one is for your usuage. So if in a years time you want a different phone you only pay off the phone side of the contract rather than the full contract. Their signal is piggy backed off O2 aswell.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
We moved two numbers from o2 to three after about 12 years of loyalty as it doesn't get you much. I was offered at contact renewal time to go SIM only, keep my existing handset and allowance for only 5 per month more than I was currently paying. Nice.

Also had bother with how they calculated data usage. I kept using up my allowance in 2 weeks so I doubled it. Then apparently kept using it up in the same amount of time. Phone was recoding about 1GB of use o2 said it was over 4GB.

Coverage in three has been no better or worse than it was with o2.

Bonus of getting 4g included, use mins and data abroad at 6 no extra cost and unlimited data (1000GB fair usage)

its all fun until something falls off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
change , mobile , networks , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page