Mac book - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Mac book

I know I can search for the old info, but I need the new info (June 2015 info) as I am about to purchase and I understand there are changes now going on in the Mac book range regarding new/old Retina displays etc.

MrsDibnah wants a Mac laptop.

She particularly wants a laptop, not a tablet because she will be doing a lot of typing (she runs a small business and needs to correspond with customers in a lot of detail so needs a real keyboard).

She wants a Mac because we are all Apple here (iMac desktop, Apple TV, iPads, iPhones blah blah blah) and she wants to be part of the same iTunes setup and App sharing etc.

She will be using it mainly for heavy email usage, updating her business pages on Facebook, surfing the web and using a few basic apps. No gaming required, no heavy user packages required like adobe etc. If she could watch streaming content that would be good, and use the Apple connect setup to display on TV via Apple TV.

My first call was Mac Book Pro as I like the bigger specs on memory and storage etc - but there are big price differences between MacBook Air laptops versus Pro laptops and I don't know if she will need the specs for the extra cost. She also prefers the size/feel of the Air over the Pro.

On the iMac we are on 4GB of memory which, frankly, struggles a bit with Yosemite so I'm thinking she will need a lot of memory for the laptop which only seems to come with the Pro....

Now the sales guys in the shops here keep saying that there are new models coming so get a good deal now on the current range, and that the Retinas are being replaced, and now I don't know if we should wait for the new range etc etc.

So, do I get her:

- A current MacBook Air
- Wait for a new MacBook Air
- A current Pro
- Wait for a new Pro

If it's either of the currents - do I need 8GB in a laptop to run Yosemite or will 4GB suffice?

Any really current info gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

You might be able to get a better deal on the current MacBook Pro if it's being upgraded or replaced. I've had one for about 2 and a half years, I wouldn't have anything else now. I would say go for the bigger memory, useful in other ways besides running Yosemite.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

There are three apple laptops to choose from.

Macbook, Air and the Pro.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
book , mac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page