Windows 10 for free? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 07-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Windows 10 for free?

When are we likely to see this happen?

Sounds too good to be realistically true to me, but you guys may know otherwise? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I believe it's going to be free to Windows 7 & 8 users for the first year or so.

Current thinking seems to be that it will be released some time in July.
(Post Link) post #3 of 37 Old 07-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

cheers for that DB.

I need something better than the current Wndee's 7 I'm on as I'm fed up with the constant updates almost each and everyday?
AO Gold Member

Whatever version of Windows you're using you'll get constant updates!
(Post Link) post #5 of 37 Old 07-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.:

So maybe I should retrieve and use the Mac Book that my wife decided to commandeer?

Does that suffer from frequent annoying updates too?
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Red Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.:

So maybe I should retrieve and use the Mac Book that my wife decided to commandeer?

Does that suffer from frequent annoying updates too?

No that's just annoying
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Macs appear to get less updates but we see as many issues that cause issues with both (maybe more proportionally if you consider fewer users out there) either use-related, compatibility or otherwise. I would expect more from Apple though as they have much tighter controls over the hardware. Like anything, everyone will have their preferred, so pick it and run with it Windows 10 may get fewer "visible" updates but time will tell with that. Yes, July is the anticipated time for the free update.
AO Gold Member

Just a point on Windows updates:

They leave a lot of unnecessary files on your hard disk. It's worth doing a periodic disk clean-up (under "Administrative Tools") to get rid of them. Let it do its first scan, then check the "clean up system files" box & re-scan - you'll be amazed how much disk space you can free up!
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

The Windows 10 update will indeed be free for a time after release to try to encourage people to move from Windows 7 and 8. One of the benefits of Windows 10 will be that the updates can be shared peer-to-peer on your local network. That means if you have multiple Windows machines at home then updates will only be downloaded once from the Internet.

Windows 8 was almost free (I paid €25 to upgrade) but that didn't help adoption rates. It's a shame because, with a bit of tweaking, it's the first desktop version of Windows to work properly since Windows 2000.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I cant stand windows 8... cannot use it at all and I dont do anything technical with my laptop.

As long as it is nothing like that then 10 should be fine.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
I cant stand windows 8... cannot use it at all and I dont do anything technical with my laptop.

As long as it is nothing like that then 10 should be fine.
Most of the people I speak to can't stand it because they don't have a start menu, they have a start screen (and they don't understand the idea of being able to see snippets of information without having to fully open a program).

I understand it's not to everyone's taste, but what can you not use at all? If you've gone to 8.1, you can boot to desktop and open internet/e-mail/documents in the same way as XP, Vista and 7... Yes, it looks different but I do think the negatives are overblown sometimes (although I was similar with Vista but that's different... it was Vista )

In the background, 8 is better than 7 and what we should see with 10 is further improvements, better use of resources and some the bringing back of a start menu that combines the best of both 7 and 8 (i.e. a menu with optional live tiles) and desktop apps running in windows rather than full screen (which is the other thing I hear people get confused by).

My one reservation at the moment is, what do they cut... I've heard a few rumours that a some of the Windows 8.1 phone features are dropped on the Windows 10 on the phone but not sure if that's just because it's in beta or because their dropping features. If it's ones I don't use or can easily live without and it is replaced by better performance/stability/better use of other features then that's ok. Not too long to wait now.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
It's a shame because, with a bit of tweaking, it's the first desktop version of Windows to work properly since Windows 2000.
I have never heard such ********.

Windows XP with SP3 was a stable and well featured desktop OS, Windows 7 has been an excellent OS, 8 isn't bad but the modern interface is a distraction, 10 looks to remediate this well from the various preview versions I've played with by integrating the metro interface into the reborn Start Menu.

Personally and professionally I am looking forward to the next version of Windows.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I have never heard such ********.

Windows XP with SP3 was a stable and well featured desktop OS, Windows 7 has been an excellent OS, 8 isn't bad but the modern interface is a distraction, 10 looks to remediate this well from the various preview versions I've played with by integrating the metro interface into the reborn Start Menu.

Personally and professionally I am looking forward to the next version of Windows.
XP was dreadful - a complete bodge job. They didn't even rewrite the code to draw the window decoration, they just drew on top of the decorations generated by the W2K code. Badly written drivers could and did crash it regularly. No execution protection to speak of. And it was slow. It was so far behind the times even when it was launched it was funny.

I have 8.1 running on a machine I originally bought with XP. It runs far quicker and so much more reliably than ever before and it needs less memory and processor. Like AmicusPro says you just have to add a start menu and you never have to see the new interface at all.

Windows 7 was just Vista+ and just as slow and resource-hungry. Ugly too. Can't stand it.

Personally and professionally I'm glad I ditched Windows years ago.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I'd have to agree with AmicusPro and Paddy O. Win 8.1 feels much slicker and better at multi-tasking. I think people just need to get tuned to the idea of the start menu covering more that the bottom corner of the screen then they'll be fine. MS go hard sell on the app store but you can still install full featured versions of desktop programs as before.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I've gotten on really well with 8/8.1

Both on my media playing NUC and Asus Transformer.

Not planning to change unless there's a really cheap upgrade
path and everything is fully supported.

Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows ... sort of- The Inquirer
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Well the cost of 10 will be cheap enough. Most stuff should be compatible unless really old... but then with new software you never quite know.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
10 should be free to consumers, forever, but I expect MS to try some kind of subscription ********.

10 is the supposed to be the last major revision, from here on in it's incrementally patching forever.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
XP was dreadful - a complete bodge job. They didn't even rewrite the code to draw the window decoration, they just drew on top of the decorations generated by the W2K code. Badly written drivers could and did crash it regularly. No execution protection to speak of. And it was slow. It was so far behind the times even when it was launched it was funny.

I have 8.1 running on a machine I originally bought with XP. It runs far quicker and so much more reliably than ever before and it needs less memory and processor. Like AmicusPro says you just have to add a start menu and you never have to see the new interface at all.

Windows 7 was just Vista+ and just as slow and resource-hungry. Ugly too. Can't stand it.

What the hell are you talking about, i just laughed my head off.

XP ran on systems with 256MB and was very fast with 1GB.
Windows 8 needs 2GB to run properly, thats 10x more resources required than XP.

If you bought a new laptop and installed XP it would be lightening quick and would be much quicker than windows 8 as its a tiny miniscule operating system, it would probably run fast on a mobile phone!

Its old and outdated now and is prone to attacks which is why we dont sell it anymore. I know that over 30% of computers in the world are still using it though aswell as most cash points, hospital apparatus and CNC lathes etc will always use it.

Also when it came out it was ahead of its time when you consider that we were all used to Windows 98\millenium (which was actually pretty much 95).

Anyway, what we all need to agree is that Windows 8\8.1 is appalling and we need something that will replace it which is stable and without bugs.

Microsoft always make a good OS after a terrible one so 10 should be good.

Win98 - (Good) > Millenium (Crap) > XP (Good) > Vista (Crap) > Win 7 (Good) > Win8 (Crap)

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Anyway, what we all need to agree is that Windows 8\8.1 is appalling and we need something that will replace it which is stable and without bugs.
That's your opinion. I've never had any problems with Windows 8 or 8.1!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
That's your opinion. I've never had any problems with Windows 8 or 8.1!
Well if you ever need to diagnose\recover it, repair and rebuild it, boot from PXE, SMART test your hard disk, boot into 'safe mode', or sometimes even get into the BIOS then that might change your option. You cant even change your motherboard if you have a Win 8 laptop as the product key is on a chip on the motherboard - and new motherboards dont come with the chip - AAAGGGHHH

For example on one bench we have a Windows 7 machine which has rebuilt in a few hours and another bench we have a Windows 8 machine which is still attempting to update to 8.1 after days of adding updates, removing updates and starting again - its a nightmare!

we have about 10 people a day tell us how much they hate it!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
load of ill-informed old tosh
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Quote:
Taking your ill-informed "old tosh" into account, I don't think the Windows community will be missing you
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
Taking your ill-informed "old tosh" into account, I don't think the Windows community will be missing you
And they're quite welcome to Laptop "laughing my head off" Matt.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

I've a bit of time now so I shall attempt to explain.

I'm sure Matt has a fine knowledge of Windows from an installer and troubleshooter point of view but I suspect that in his job he doesn't really have to use it in anger with real resource-heavy applications. Perhaps XP could run in 256MB but you couldn't do anything with it. I always over-specify memory in my machines so I don't really know if the real memory footprint of Windows 8/8.1 is that much bigger. What I do know is that (with plenty of memory) my old machine is a lot happier and snappier with 8.1 than it ever was with XP for doing real work with.

If you're coming from Windows 95/98 then I'm sure XP would seem "ahead of its time". If you were used to a quality operating system back then it certainly wasn't. Even as a desktop experience I found it inferior to Windows 2000.

IMHO Windows 8.1 is the best version to run if you need to use Windows. Put the start menu back with an add-on and be happy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
free , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page