Remote SLR/Video Camera Mic (Bluetooth?) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 05-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Remote SLR/Video Camera Mic (Bluetooth?)

Anyone know of a (cheap) radio mic or remote bluetooth mic
with a receiver that'll slot into the hotshoe of an SLR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

You want to shoot a video 'piece to camera' with a personal mic on the contributor, recorded onto the SLR?

(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 05-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Lightbulb

Or just leave the mix on a stage a school play. For example.
(Obviously not for me)

I think there's a gap in the market....
VO2Max

I guess you'd actually just plug into a socket in the side of the camera? I bet most SLR's have little audio-in phono/3.5mm sockets these days?

Gap in the market there, ready for you to exploit?

(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yup, Canon et al do shoe-mounted receivers that
indeed plug into the 3.5mm jack mic-in.

But they are 100s of quid.

I'm pretty sure a nice Chinese fab company could knock
them out for <20 quid a pop.
VO2Max

You're not wrong.

Shall I send Sally Lee an email and see what she thinks?

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Does it need to be on the hotshoe? There seem to be quite a few without the hotshoe mount.

Or how about building it yourself with something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DSJXVI8 and glue a 1/4 inch nut to the receiver?
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 06-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Hmmm good point.

Plenty of Tx/Rx BT units for 10-20 quid.
But there's no mic amp, I would assume,
so would require a big of gaffer taping I guess....

The best solution would be to have pair of units:
a compact (shoe mounted) Rx unit with audio out jack and micro usb for charging
and a remote Tx BT unit with mic amp, mic-in jack and again micro usb for charging.

Li-Ions built in batteries for each.

Job done.

Hmmmm......

County: UK

Member car:

156 JTd 2.4

Hi,

What is it you are trying to do exactly ? fire the camera when noise is above a certain level? fire so many shots? Or record video for a period of time?
Im very familiar with a couple Nikon DSLR's, and my understanding is that most manufacturers can be fired by an accessory/control port. Im not however familiar with video.
The way Nikons work (there are 2 types of connector, basically the same idea though) is, connect one of the pins to gnd - this is the same as the shutter being pressed 1/2 way - i.e. focus/metering and so on. Connect another pin to gnd at the same time, and this is the same as pressing the shutter release button all the way - i.e. take a photo. Depending on how the camera is set, it will either take a single shot and wait for the pins (i.e. "button") to be returned to 5v (ish) or if in continuous shooting mode, it will continue to take photos until the pins are "released" again.
I always use the camera in manual focus mode when doing anything remotely - for obvious reasond, and more often than not I will have the aperture/exposure on manual too.

Back to your question - if you can fire the camera (which you most likely can) from a cable connected to it, then it is also possible to fire it from any other way - all that's needed it a receiver on/next to the camera, and connected to the control port. As long as this receiver is able to control the camera, and also able to "understand" the transmitter then it cant really not work. Depending on your exact needs, the "transmitter" doesn't even need to exist, as mentioned briefly already. If you have a device that can respond to noise (certain levels of noise is easy - differentiating between certain peoples voices or other sounds is not!) Then you are pretty much there. There are items on the market that will respond to sound, both directly wired to the cam, and various forms of wireless - BT, various types of 433Mhz and similar devices, some are seriously cheapo imports - but may do they job if its a one off, the snag is, they don't always fire !!
Anyways, if you can give a bit more detail as to what you actually need, I can try and offer some more advice - if you are ok building simple circuit boards then I can give you a simple sound activated circuit which would plug into your cam, (I wouldn't like to start talking through hacking open commercial wireless units or designing your own etc on here as I cant afford to buy you a new camera should you blow it up and blame me !!)
I have some test shots of me throwing darts at a balloon which used a sound trigger but I cant seem to find them. For busting balloons, I found sound wasn't accurate enough - possibly due to my designs/designs from the internet and changed, or more likely the speed of sound, different impacts on the balloon etc started to annoy me so I sidetracked a little (for now lol).
Sorry - I do tent to waffle on !
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 10-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Waffle is good. It's how innovation occurs!

So the point is to shoot video with a remotely placed mic.

The example is a kid's school play where you are in the audience
and you've placed the remote mic up near the stage.

I'm a microelectronics engineer by trade.

County: UK

Member car:

156 JTd 2.4

Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. So, if Im understanding correctly, what you need to do is "activate" your video cameras record mode when a sound (or sound level, etc) is detected at a remote (remote as in not right next to the camera)? then record the sound from the location of the mic rather than the camera? Or will the camera be running constantly?

If you need to trigger the camera remotely when a certain sound level is heard, I should think hacking one of the yongnuo triggers might be the easiest, as long as the camera is set correctly (obviously!) then once it receives a signal (usually 433 MHz with some basic encoding/decoding - like a garage door, or light switch). So if you can modify the transmitter to transmit (i.e. fake pressing the button) which I imagine you can do in a short time, then that's that part solved.
As far as recording audio from some place other than where the camera is, there are BT devices as mentioned, personally Im not a fan of cheapo Bluetooth devices, but may work. However, why not pick up a cheap Dictaphone, locate it near to the transmitter, and have this turn on at the same time as the camera activates via the remote transmitter - not hard to do. That way there is less chance of picking up unwanted sound etc from across the room, also removes a lot of potential issues that are common with cheap wireless/BT (or cheap anything !) Or maybe use a laptop/tablet/phone with a mic ? Then, once you have the video on your camera, audio on your recording device, its just a matter of spending a few minutes getting the timing right and replacing any existing audio that the camera picked up.
There are some fairly cheap RF audio transmitters about, Ive no experience with them though. The only radio mics I have used recently are not what I would call cheap!
As far as power goes, as long as you have enough for your camera - depends of course how long its going to run for - additional battery pack (DIY our purchased), or is a mains input an option?
The wireless triggers I mention ususally use a CR2 or similar 3V lithium battery, the only thing they usually do is wait for a signal, then tell the camera to trigger the shutter (or start record I presume) So unless the camera needs a constant signal from the receiver (i.e. it needs the shutter pressed permanently or similar) then I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem, you can of course easily knock up a higher capacity battery pack if that's likely to be an issue. Likewise with the transmitter, usually a 12V 123 or similar, and again only does anything when the button is pressed - unless, like "B" setting on some cameras it needs to be constantly pressed (or a switch turned on) then that is also unlikely to cause problems, again, easy to get a higher capacity battery or pack.
Hope that gave you an idea or two...

[EDIT] as mentioned, a lot of receivers sit on the hotshoe, easily overcome with bungees, elastic bands,velcro,gaffer tape etc - Im assuming the camera will be on a tripod or clamped somewhere so I wouldn't have thought that would cause a problem.[/EDIT]

Last edited by CalvUK; 20-05-15 at 14:04. Reason: added a bit
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 20-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvUK View Post
Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. So, if Im understanding correctly, what you need to do is "activate" your video cameras record mode when a sound (or sound level, etc) is detected at a remote (remote as in not right next to the camera)? then record the sound from the location of the mic rather than the camera? Or will the camera be running constantly?

Just have a remote mic placed to pick up sound whilst
shooting video. No need for any remote control of the camera.
VO2Max

...you do realise he spent 20mins writing that?

(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 21-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I'm such an ingrate.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
bluetooth , camera , mic , remote , slr or video

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page