Home Cinema Speaker Recommendations - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 25-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Home Cinema Speaker Recommendations

Hi,

I know quite a few movie and audio junkies are on here so I thought I'd post this here before going for more populous forums.

I've been making do for many years with a matched 5.1 speaker and sub package which came with a Denon system I bought about 15 years ago, everything now runs through a Denon AVR-1312 that I've had a for a few years and I'd be happy to stick with this set-up if it weren't for a recent and annoying development.

Over the past few years I shifted to buying films exclusively on Blu Ray, and many recent releases have had audio that uses frequency ranges that my ageing kit cannot reproduce without my sub popping and farting like it's about to expire. For example in Interstellar when the ship crosses the singularity, there's a good 30 seconds of low frequency vibration that promises subdeath.

Having to turn the volume down mid way through a film is a bit of a buzz kill, especially when it's generally at a really good bit.

So, I'm thinking of swapping out the existing sub, with a budget of 200 what would you recommend?

I haven't really kept up to date with advances in technology and I just want something that will swap out easily.

Cheers

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 21 Old 26-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

#tumbleweed
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Wharfedale make cracking speakers in my experience, and this reviews well:
Wharfedale Powercube SPC-10 review | Subwoofers | What Hi-Fi?

Not sure whether you'd find it quite as cheap as 200 though.
(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 26-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks Bazza, I've had a bit of a look around and it appears what I need is to spend more money, yes the sub you linked has more dynamic range than the one I have, but, it's still not enough.

Found an interesting thread on another forum.

What happens below 30hz and why is it important? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Are you looking for an Active or passive enclosure?

I have got a Twin 8" Passive sub in my theater room, and an active single 8" in my bedroom.

Both have different capabilities.

The active sub i have is part of the Boston Acoustics Soundware range, and i have found it really good, even for a budget box.

My Twin 8 is made by a company called LD Systems, who make pro audio equipment for live music.

I work in Entertainment (Lighting Designer) so also know my sound, so i can not tolerate anything sub par (no pun intended).
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 26-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Active, i'm thinking of something that will go sub 30hz, my existing satellites start at 315hz
AO Member

Well the Boston Active sub's frequency response is 50-150Hz, it has basstrac circuits, so the lows are really defined, no distortion.

My twin 8 passive 40 - 120Hz

You may find it difficult to find an active box within budget to go below 30hz.

Have you had a demo with one to see if you can actually here the extra lows?, a lot of people including myself have issues hearing things below 25hz, that is mainly down to my work environment over time

I know for a fact that the 10" polk subs i have in my car, go to 21hz however there is not a lot of recorded music which goes down to that level............well not the type i would want to listen to anyway.

I know a lot of films are now including sub 20hz in the track, so its certainly worth getting a sub cabable, but i would defo get a hearing test first to see if its worth it haha
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 26-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It's more to stop the sub blowing up, my current starts @ 50hz and it sounded like it was going to rupture watching interstellar
AO Member

Surely that is to do with the power capability not frequency response?

I can watch interstellar on my 50-150z sub at stupid volumes, but it never cracks or shows signs of a struggle.

What sub do you have currently?
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 27-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Difficult to say, it's a sub made by Mission for Denon, its the scav-f100 set
AO Member

Ahh, i see that sub was only rated at 50w with a 55 - 195 Hz range.

Its going to flap at higher volume, as its not powerful enough.

you need something with 250w min in a sub.

Look on ebay at the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE, its on offer at the moment should be 500 for the full system, but some are selling it for as low as 200.

It has 5 small 100w sats, and a large 8" sub which is what i have. its all passive except the sub!.

The speakers look amazing, as they are only small but kick out some serious power, they are also coaxial so have a dedicated mid woofer and a separate tweeter in each sat.

They will work on your amp superb, will totaly transform your surround sound!
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 29-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Superfi have it at 179, it has a good review on Whathifi, might have to find somewhere local that has it in stock so I can have a listen.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9565-bost...oss-black.aspx
AO Member

Yep i paid 179 for my second set, as i have installed it in my Restaurant aswel, copes with a room of 100 people no problem!

Just order it haha, trust me!
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 30-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I dunno, the package I have now was originally a 1200 add on to the denon system it was sold with.

I know technology moves on but I'm dubious as to how much extra I can get for for that money, it seems too cheap.
AO Member

I paid 3000k for my first flat screen TV, i paid 600 for my new LED one, and its 2000% times better than my first one.

I work in the sound industry, im hard too please, i bought a second one of these systems for a commercial space, as it was that good when i put it in at home.

The system has got 5 star reviews by everybody that has reviewed it.

Read the reviews on your current system.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityVinnie View Post
I paid 3000k for my first flat screen TV, i paid 600 for my new LED one, and its 2000% times better than my first one.

I work in the sound industry, im hard too please, i bought a second one of these systems for a commercial space, as it was that good when i put it in at home.

The system has got 5 star reviews by everybody that has reviewed it.

Read the reviews on your current system.
I know what you mean, and I'm sure you're right about the speakers, but..just saying... generally I would ignore any advice containing the phrase "2000% times better than" followed by "im hard too please".
AO Member

Your call at the end of the day, I dont see anybody else adding there recommendations, or advise.

All im saying is that a fair few years ago i bought my first flat TV which cost 3000k, at the time it was the dogs, i bought my latest TV 18 months ago for 600, and its shown just how bad the old one was, and how much things have come forward and reduced in price.

In terms of hard to please, i listen to sound systems every day of the week, and have to spec them as part of my job, so i can not afford to put in sub par systems, i would just get complaints.

The price of the system is cheap yes, but it was originally over 500 at launch, which when you see the system you think its expensive as the speakers, excluding the sub are tiny, you also have to factor in the cost of a receiver as the speakers are passive, so in hind sight the system would have cost you over a 1000.

I will also add in reference to your current system, that over the years i have repaired quite a few, the speakers are prone to fail, or break up in sound.

I only use Denon for DJ equipment now
(Post Link) post #18 of 21 Old 01-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Your call at the end of the day, I dont see anybody else adding there recommendations, or advise.

All im saying is that a fair few years ago i bought my first flat TV which cost 3000k, at the time it was the dogs, i bought my latest TV 18 months ago for 600, and its shown just how bad the old one was, and how much things have come forward and reduced in price.

In terms of hard to please, i listen to sound systems every day of the week, and have to spec them as part of my job, so i can not afford to put in sub par systems, i would just get complaints.

The price of the system is cheap yes, but it was originally over 500 at launch, which when you see the system you think its expensive as the speakers, excluding the sub are tiny, you also have to factor in the cost of a receiver as the speakers are passive, so in hind sight the system would have cost you over a 1000.

I will also add in reference to your current system, that over the years i have repaired quite a few, the speakers are prone to fail, or break up in sound.

Hi Vinnie,

You make some valid points, I've not had problems with the speaker setup as it is, the sound quality is generally very good, I don't listen to music loud but I like clarity and this Mission NXT2/Sub combo gives that in spades at lower volumes, I still have the Denon AVF-100 system it came with so might relegate it to just music listening as I'm renovating one of the rooms in my house as a room with no TV, but just for listening to music and reading.

I'll give this Boston setup a stab, it's hardly a huge amount of money, my only pain point is having to re calibrate the Audessey setup, what a effing faff that is. But well worth it if done right with 6 or more calibration points.

Not sure I mentioned but my receiver is a Denon AVR 1610
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

GT v6

Quote:

3000k is that kroner or did you mean 3,000000 which sounds quite extravagant to me for a telly.
AO Member

Yeah i meant 3K got carried away with my zeros!

Its worth a stab buying it at that price, you can always flog it if you dont like it, i appreciate everybody's idea of a good sound is different.

The cube sats sell on there own for 35 each on ebay, so you wont loose money ha!

In terms of Receivers i use a Yamaha RXA1040B for my main cinema room, and a Pioneer VSX on both the Boston systems,

you need to be putting 75-100w's into each of the sat speakers.

Yeah i similar setup to Audessey on mine, it can take a while to calibrate, plus you have to bare the bloody tone while it does it.

I tend to use the auto calibrate then tweak it to suit.
AO Silver Member

County: Falkirk
If you're on a budget of 200ish this is a cracking little sub for the money and British too. You can go crazy spending money on AV kit, I know I've been there, but one of my friends has this sub running with a Yamaha 1010 amp (a 1k amp when new) and it sounds fantastic. Great with movies and music and comes with both the cables to connect it up to the amp and the back of your front pair of speakers (for when your running in stereo and want more oomph|).

Gemini

If you can stretch to a bit more BK do some other good options.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
cinema , home , recommendations , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page