Smart tv or Ap*** tv box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 17-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Smart tv or Ap*** tv box

Hi One and All.

wife has an Ap*** tablet.
I thought to get her a smart tv
or would a AP*** TV BOX
Be the thing to get?
our tv is hmdi ready.

thanks.

John tL.
ludite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: slip it into D
AO Silver Member
 
biggreenzebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 4,094
The answer depends on what you want to view on your TV?

The only Smart TV with all of the UK catch up channels, netflix and Anazon prime is a Samsung.

Most things that you can view on your iThingy can be air played to an Apple TV but not everything. SkyGo for example can't.
biggreenzebra is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 17-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
The answer depends on what you want to view on your TV?

The only Smart TV with all of the UK catch up channels, netflix and Anazon prime is a Samsung.

Most things that you can view on your iThingy can be air played to an Apple TV but not everything. SkyGo for example can't.
Many thanks.
Biggreenzebra.

Think wife wants too link with tv
and ignore me.

John tL.
ludite is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Amazon are launching a Fire TV stick in the US in February which should appear
in the UK a few months later.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-.../dp/B00GDQ0RMG



Might be an idea to wait and see what they offer on that.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,949
We have a Samsung Smart TV and also Apple TV.
I only got the Apple TV because I can stream stuff wirelessly from my Mac computer direct to the Samsung - for example a plug in DVD player to the MacBook Pro will play a DVD on the TV via Apple TV.
PaulR is offline  
Status: Wishing people were nicer
AO Gold Member
 
FredDibnah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Beautiful UK
County: Surrey
Posts: 6,881
As the "standard TV" over here is not much cop - we have our Smart TV linked up to a hard drive and an Apple TV unit.

Although the TV is "Smart" (it's an LG) I never really use the TV based Apps for anything, I just switch to Apple TV and use that. It's a far simpler interface.

The only downside of AppleTV for us is that it does encourage you to keep buying stuff on iTunes..... and I'm weak willed

If I want to watch something on Youtube and I'm sitting on my sofa at home I can:

1. Use the TV remote to fire up the built in Youtube app on the TV
2. Bring up Youtube on my iPad and use "Air thingy" to display it on the TV
3. Turn on Apple TV and use the Youtube App on that

I always end up doing the 3rd option because the TV remote isn't easy to use for searching (you have to point at a screen keyboard and click on the letters... yuck) which means option 1 is a pain, and although option 2 should be simple, the "air" thing can be flaky and drop out from time to time.

With AppleTV I can use the pinwheel on the remote to quickly search and the AppleTV interface keeps suggestions and history which neither the TV App or the iPad online interface do.

I wasn't an early lover of Apple TV, but the more I've used it - the better I've gotten on with it. It's my default now for Netflix and Youtube as well as my iTunes library.
FredDibnah is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 18-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Amazon are launching a Fire TV stick in the US in February which should appear
in the UK a few months later.

Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now



Might be an idea to wait and see what they offer on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
We have a Samsung Smart TV and also Apple TV.
I only got the Apple TV because I can stream stuff wirelessly from my Mac computer direct to the Samsung - for example a plug in DVD player to the MacBook Pro will play a DVD on the TV via Apple TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
As the "standard TV" over here is not much cop - we have our Smart TV linked up to a hard drive and an Apple TV unit.

Although the TV is "Smart" (it's an LG) I never really use the TV based Apps for anything, I just switch to Apple TV and use that. It's a far simpler interface.

The only downside of AppleTV for us is that it does encourage you to keep buying stuff on iTunes..... and I'm weak willed

If I want to watch something on Youtube and I'm sitting on my sofa at home I can:

1. Use the TV remote to fire up the built in Youtube app on the TV
2. Bring up Youtube on my iPad and use "Air thingy" to display it on the TV
3. Turn on Apple TV and use the Youtube App on that

I always end up doing the 3rd option because the TV remote isn't easy to use for searching (you have to point at a screen keyboard and click on the letters... yuck) which means option 1 is a pain, and although option 2 should be simple, the "air" thing can be flaky and drop out from time to time.

With AppleTV I can use the pinwheel on the remote to quickly search and the AppleTV interface keeps suggestions and history which neither the TV App or the iPad online interface do.

I wasn't an early lover of Apple TV, but the more I've used it - the better I've gotten on with it. It's my default now for Netflix and Youtube as well as my iTunes library.
Thank chaps,
this will help me
navigate thru tech maze.
with few mishaps
thanks to you.

John I am truly a Luddite.
ludite is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
100th_Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 14,827
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Personally I would go for a separate box. TV makers have a very bad reputation of not updating their software and dropping support for services.

Roku would be a good platform agnostic choice (i.e. not tied to Apple, Amazon or Google).

Apple TV if you are deeply tied into their ecosystem.
100th_Idiot is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 18-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Personally I would go for a separate box. TV makers have a very bad reputation of not updating their software and dropping support for services.

Roku would be a good platform agnostic choice (i.e. not tied to Apple, Amazon or Google).

Apple TV if you are deeply tied into their ecosystem.
Thank you. 100th-

I find it hard to say Idiot.
that`s one thing you are not.

John tL.
ludite is offline  
Status: off down the shed.
AO Gold Member
 
alfacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England.
County: Durham
Posts: 6,323
How about an Android box ?, been looking at a few on Ebay myself. Quite a few mates of mine have them and they rave about them as long as you have a good/fast internet connection.
alfacool is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
100th_Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 14,827
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
Thank you. 100th-

I find it hard to say Idiot.
that`s one thing you are not.

John tL.
It amuses me JtL.

100 idiots made 100 idiotic plans. 99 failed miserably. The 100th by chance succeeded and considered himself a genius.
100th_Idiot is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 19-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Thanks again,

One and All.

Wife now happy with her Ap.Tv.
So easy to set up.
even for a luddite ,like me.

John tL.
ludite is offline  
Status: Meh....
AO Platinum Member
 
Verbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 12,346
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Download the "apple remote" for the iPad from the App Store, it's better than the dinky little remote you get with the unit.

It turns your iPad into a tv remote. You can type rather than using the up, down arrows on the dinky.
Verbout is offline  
Status: Meh....
AO Platinum Member
 
Verbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 12,346
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Attachment 445001

Last edited by Verbout; 05-11-15 at 09:37.
Verbout is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,815
Anyone else using a Now TV box as a streaming device? I have one and it is brilliant, only cost a tenner including the HDMI cable.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 21-01-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Download the "apple remote" for the iPad from the App Store, it's better than the dinky little remote you get with the unit.

It turns your iPad into a tv remote. You can type rather than using the up, down arrows on the dinky.
Hi, Garry,
Many thanks for the link.
duly downloaded ,quick as a wink,
by yours truly.

John tL.
ludite is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
box , smart

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome