New headphones - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 25-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
New headphones

A year or so ago I had to take someone's faulty iPhone for exchange to the Apple Store at the Trafford centre on Manchester. I had to wait for a while while they fiddled and during that time I fiddled myself with an array of headphones that they had on display. I plugged in to one set and hit play on my iPhone and quite honestly I was astounded. The headphones in question brought out loads of stuff I had never heard out of the Jeff Beck track I was playing. Loads of stuff. The headphones in question were a pair of P7s from B&W. I took a look at the price tag - 329. No. Despite how good they sounded I just could not bring myself to shell out that kind of cash.
Today. Dec 25th 2014. My lovely lovely wife has presented me with s pair. They are brilliant. So so clear and detailed. I have some really good Sennheisers but these are just in another league.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
I got some clear and bassy Phillips earbuds the other day. 10

*You may have to bring those along to a gathering so i can sample them *
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 25-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

They are king impressive Gaz.
I have 3 pairs of Sennheisers and a pair of AKGs but these are ....
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 25-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Merry Xmas btw
Gaz
Regional Support North

I have a good ear for sound clarity but even that would stop me trying to justify that amount on a pair of headphones. But then they were a gift, as you say. I have had an actual pair of headphones since 1998, they are too bulky
Gaz
Regional Support North

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Merry Xmas btw
Same to you and yours
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 26-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I have a good ear for sound clarity but even that would stop me trying to justify that amount on a pair of headphones. But then they were a gift, as you say. I have had an actual pair of headphones since 1998, they are too bulky
They were too pricey. I told Mrs BGZ not to get them. But she did.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I have found that with superior headphones it can be a boon or a trial, poorly mastered or overly compressed audio does not sound good, as much as they can accentuate detail, they can also promote poor fidelity.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 26-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I have found that with superior headphones it can be a boon or a trial, poorly mastered or overly compressed audio does not sound good, as much as they can accentuate detail, they can also promote poor fidelity.
That's totally true.
The loudness wars are not a figment of an audiophile mind.
Almost everything I listen to is ripped from CD or digitised from vinyl not just downloaded.

I just listened to Miles Davis, Sketches from Spain. A 1960 recording but in the left channel in the middle of Seita I heard stuff I have never heard before. It's probably a Xylophone (Vibes) but I shall need to listen again to be sure.
VO2Max

Vibraphone = Vibes. So called because it has electric, footpedal-controlled rotating 'paddles' at the bottom of the tubes, to add vibrato.

A Xylophone has none .

(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 28-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thank you Max
As it was recorded in 1960 I suspect that what I can hear is a Xylophone but it is very faint and deep down in the left channel.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Thank you Max
As it was recorded in 1960 I suspect that what I can hear is a Xylophone but it is very faint and deep down in the left channel.
The vibraphone has been around for a long time (just checked - 1927), and is well used in jazz, so probably a vibraphone. (I'll dig out my old vinyl copy and see if I can hear anything!)

I had a stupidly expensive set of earphones - Shure SE530 - which were amazing in a similar way to your description of your Christmas present - I heard all kinds of previously un-noticed detail. They had a 3 year guarantee and twice within that period I had them replaced because the cables broke, the third time they were outside warranty and now sit waiting an expensive repair that I'll probably never get done. The newer models have detachable cables - a lesson learned too late for me, I'm not likely to spend that much again on what is effectively a 'consumable' item.. they were great though

I hope you have better luck with your brilliant earphones and continue to enjoy them long into the future!

Last edited by chrishendrix; 31-12-14 at 12:15.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
The vibraphone has been around for a long time (just checked - 1927), and is well used in jazz, so probably a vibraphone. (I'll dig out my old vinyl copy and see if I can hear anything!)

I had a stupidly expensive set of earphones - Shure SE530 - which were amazing in a similar way to your description of your Christmas present - I heard all kinds of previously un-noticed detail. They had a 3 year guarantee and twice within that period I had them replaced because the cables broke, the third time they were outside warranty and now sit waiting an expensive repair that I'll probably never get done. The newer models have detachable cables - a lesson learned too late for me, I'm not likely to spend that much again on what is effectively a 'consumable' item.. they were great though

I hope you have better luck with your brilliant earphones and continue to enjoy them long into the future!

Bose Quiet Comfort have detachable cables, and still a very good set of phones.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Bose Quiet Comfort have detachable cables, and still a very good set of phones.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
I'm currently using Logitech 350vi Ultimate Ears Headset - for less than 30 they're pretty good
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I have some Bluetooth AptX headphones from 7dayshop that are remarkably good for 37 squid. Don't think my ears could differentiate sufficiently to justify expensive cans!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page