Anyone got an iPad Mini 2 running latest iOS...? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Anyone got an iPad Mini 2 running latest iOS...?

...If so how does it perform?

Ever since I upgraded my gen 1 iPad Mini it has been painful to use, I really wish I'd stayed with iOS 7 and there's no way back.

I'm thinking of getting a Mini 2 to replace this with, but if the performance aint great I might look at something different.

Main problems are.

Changing tabs in browser reloads tab every time (i think there isnt enough memory to cache multiple tabs concurrently)
Often typing plays catchup
Swapping between apps torturously slow
Apps reloading when multitasking

These are the main things that I want to know if they would be resolved by upgrading.

Thanks

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I've got a gen 1 iPad Mini and had problems after initially loading iOS 8 - it was almost unusable and in particular would not hold an internet connection.

Since the latest updates it has gone back to the way it was i.e. fine. I do not have the problems you describe. I would guess that you are up to date with the latest version so maybe it is a problem with the Mini itself?

With taking into an Apple store for them to look at?
AO Silver Member

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

I have the same issues on my iPad 3 with the browser loading and typing playing catch up from time to time.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I've got a gen 1 iPad Mini and had problems after initially loading iOS 8 - it was almost unusable and in particular would not hold an internet connection.

Since the latest updates it has gone back to the way it was i.e. fine. I do not have the problems you describe. I would guess that you are up to date with the latest version so maybe it is a problem with the Mini itself?

With taking into an Apple store for them to look at?
Thanks Paul, I'm actually not on the latest update because I don't have the storage space, it does say it has bug fixes for Iphone and Ipad 2 though, no mention of mini.

I'll see if I can upgrade by connecting to my laptop and feedback if that helps.

Cheers

Sean
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Thanks Paul, I'm actually not on the latest update because I don't have the storage space, it does say it has bug fixes for Iphone and Ipad 2 though, no mention of mini.

I'll see if I can upgrade by connecting to my laptop and feedback if that helps.

Cheers

Sean
I think the update for 2 is for the mini too as its for the iOS version isn't it? My problem only appear after heavy prolonged use. Except now, my typing is slow! I think it is due to the movie smileys as I am replying in advanced mode, which would point to a memory issue I think. I need to see what apps are open in the background.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skell18 View Post
I think the update for 2 is for the mini too as its for the iOS version isn't it? My problem only appear after heavy prolonged use. Except now, my typing is slow! I think it is due to the movie smileys as I am replying in advanced mode, which would point to a memory issue I think. I need to see what apps are open in the background.
I try to run with no multitasking as much as possible, i know its time for a restart when launching an app results in an instant crash.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It only took two hours but I'm up to date
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It's still ****
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
I try to run with no multitasking as much as possible, i know its time for a restart when launching an app results in an instant crash.
Me too, it's the OCD in me that won't allow something I'm to using to be open! Drives me mad

Quote:
It's still ****
It may be kaput, mine had an issue a while ago where I would only have one bar of wifi even when right not to the router. Took it into an Apple Store and they just replaced it with a new one, no complaints here
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 07-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

There's nothing wrong with the hardware, it just seems the OS requirements are very hungry.

I downloaded an app that showed how much memory was free, and with safari and that app open it had about 10mb, i'm unsure what sort of memory management iOS uses but I'm starting to think of jumping ship, can't stand Android but there are some meaty Windows tablets now.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the hardware, it just seems the OS requirements are very hungry.

I downloaded an app that showed how much memory was free, and with safari and that app open it had about 10mb, i'm unsure what sort of memory management iOS uses but I'm starting to think of jumping ship, can't stand Android but there are some meaty Windows tablets now.
iOS 8 is optimised for the newest iPads so if you do i grade, just get one of those. I will never go android as android people are way too smug, and mostly have hipster beards! I have never had a windows product that has worked properly so steer clear of those. At the moment mine does what I need, but I will change it for another iPad when the time comes, just a few more urgent things that come first (like servicing the GTA)
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Full fat Win8.1 Pro tablet works well
as a laptop/tablet combo.
A much better set up if you are travelling too.

And the extra battery life from a docked
keyboard is a killer feature.

So long as you don't need the dearth
of apps you get with Android and Apple.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ios , ipad , latest , mini , running

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page