QNAP NAS Conundrum - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 06-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Wave QNAP NAS Conundrum

Wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction here as I am truly stumped.

I have a QNAP TS-210 NAS drive, OK it's the basic version but does what I need it to do which is store photos, videos and stream my music collection to my Cambridge Audio NP30 network player. Up until the recent QNAP security updates all was well, and was working happily. DLNA is activated, as is the iTunes server and TwonkyMedia in the settings. All firmware is up to date.

First thing is when I open QNAP Finder on my laptop it doesn't find the NAS on the network (but my sons laptop finds it OK using finder.....). I can access settings etc via myqnapcloud however.

Next thing is while my NP30 finds the server on the network, but it won't play anything. It used to find and I would access my music using TwonkyMedia but that has disappeared from the options and I can't seem to get it re-activated.

Anyone any the wiser as to what is going on and able to advise what I should be checking/altering?

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
Wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction here as I am truly stumped.

I have a QNAP TS-210 NAS drive, OK it's the basic version but does what I need it to do which is store photos, videos and stream my music collection to my Cambridge Audio NP30 network player. Up until the recent QNAP security updates all was well, and was working happily. DLNA is activated, as is the iTunes server and TwonkyMedia in the settings. All firmware is up to date.

First thing is when I open QNAP Finder on my laptop it doesn't find the NAS on the network (but my sons laptop finds it OK using finder.....). I can access settings etc via myqnapcloud however.

Next thing is while my NP30 finds the server on the network, but it won't play anything. It used to find and I would access my music using TwonkyMedia but that has disappeared from the options and I can't seem to get it re-activated.

Anyone any the wiser as to what is going on and able to advise what I should be checking/altering?
I always check the IP address, and in theory if you can connect it via USB as well and that works, then resetting settings can be worthwhile. Only had this once with my Synology I think.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Qnap finder may be blocked on your PC by firewall or other security software. Using sons PC check it's network settings or reconfigure as appropriate. NP30 will only find it if QNAP is on same subnet. You should give it a fixed IP address outside the scope of you DHCP server.
I have 2 QNAPs - great kit.
AO Silver Member

Twonky is a DLNA server do you may have 2 competing servers attempting to run. Switch off the DLNA server and leave Twonky on. Reboot. Then access the twonky web interface http://ipaddress:9090 from memory check whether it is indeed running.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
The mystery Switched off AVG and turned off firewall. Set firewall on modem to low. Finder still doesn't find it...... Bizarre.

Will try above.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Assuming it's all on the same network, if it's displaying on one laptop and not another and it's not something like XP or a MAC, go into the "Control Panel" and then have a look at the "Networking and Sharing centre" and then "Change Advanced Sharing Settings" on the laptop which isn't working.

Normally at home the current profile is usually "Private" with "Network Discovery" turned on with the "Automatic Setup of network connected devices" turned on. These settings would allow you to find a NAS box on the same network automatically.

If it thinks it is a different type of connection and not private, i.e. Public, then discovery can be turned off.

It may be worth a quick check of this option.
AO Silver Member

It really doesn't matter about Qnap Finder as long as the QNAP has correct network settings. Just access via the web admin tool. http://ipadd:8080
The reason the NP30 can't see Twonky is what really needs resolving. I suspect that your update of the QNAP has downloaded a newer version of Twonky or an alternate DLNA server. You just need to get one and one only DLNA server running and configure it to see your media files.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Sorry for delay in replying was away this weekend. Well re activated twonky and switched off DLNA and all was well tonight. Hopefully that is the end of it.

Thank for your help but will keep an eye on this to see if it re-occurs
AO Silver Member

Pleased to hear that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
conundrum , nas , qnap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page