Smart TV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 03-11-14 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Smart TV

Thinking of buying this:
Buy Samsung UE40H6400 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 40" with Freeview HD, Voice Control and 2x 3D Glasses | John Lewis

Tell me whether I'm right or wrong.

Points about this which are why I've picked it:
ALL the on demand services.
Amazon instant.
Reviewed good sound quality.
built in wireless.

Not bothered about the 3D, and suspect I'll never use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Durham
We've got a 40" Samsung Smart telly from about 4 years ago (not 3D, not wireless)
The 'SMART' is pretty good we've but since got Virgin Media Tivo to do most of the same tasks.
Connecting to my network drive for family photos and videos is great. You can similarly connect to shared drive on a PC/laptop. I use Powerline adaptors which I find more reliable than WiFi.
Youtube is a pain to use, same on Tivo, just not as easy as a laptop/PC. However I can browse on an Android device and then divert it to the telly. I was gob-smacked the first time I was playing music on my tablet and it asked 'Do you want this to play on device TV?'
iPlayer works OK
Don't use any other pay on-demand services
Speakers are weak on mine, got a cheap soundbar sat in front

The only problem we have is the screen image being corrupted when we first turn it on. We have to leave it for a couple of minutes and then switch off-back on. I've been told this is common to lots of different brands as they all use the same cheap Chinese cables. I suspect the connectors are tarnished as when I took the back off and unplugged/replugged every connector, it was OK for 3 weeks.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

We have the 6510 and it's a good telly although we don't use any of the smart functions. I connected up a BRIX PC with wireless mouse and keyboard which handles the smarts much more elegantly. The speakers aren't the worst I've come across but I got a cheapo Samsung 5.1 speaker and 3D Blueray player combo from Argos which sounds much much better. I have yet to come across a 3D Blueray disc so I can't comment on the 3D performance. You have to tweak the settings for DVD upscaling otherwise it suffers from the soap opera effect.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Samsung are the best Smart TV as they are only TV with all UK on demand and Amazon Instant Video. I wouldn't bother with 3d and is prefer wired to wireless. We have a 42inch Samsung from about 12 months ago. Like others have said sound is a bit thin which is why mine is hooked up to AV Receiver. WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is high as only one remote is required to switch on TV, Sky and AV Receiver.
You will get it a lot cheaper from somewhere other than John Lewis I suspect.
AO Silver Member

Samsung are the best Smart TV as they are only TV with all UK on demand and Amazon Instant Video. I wouldn't bother with 3d and is prefer wired to wireless. We have a 42inch Samsung from about 12 months ago. Like others have said sound is a bit thin which is why mine is hooked up to AV Receiver. WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is high as only one remote is required to switch on TV, Sky and AV Receiver.
You will get it a lot cheaper from somewhere other than John Lewis I suspect.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 03-11-14 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Can't find it cheaper elsewhere, even not counting the 5 year warranty value.

Agree on the 3D, but can't find a similarly good TV without it for any less.

Wired isn't a choice where it's going.

So all that considered, I have ordered. Will take a week to come though, boo!
AO Silver Member

I can report that the Samsung's inbuilt DLNA player works well with .mkv H.264 movies (ripped DVDs) but won't play any of my .mp4s.
AO Silver Member

Wired is a choice if you use home plug so if the wireless doesn't work too well in the TVs intended position consider home plug Ethernet adapters.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 03-11-14 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I've had a wifi TV working in the place it's going to, so fingers crossed I won't have a problem.

County: Cork
Garage
I'd suggest doing a search on AVForums to see if you can find recommended picture settings to get the best out of your TV, especially if you don't want to bother doing it yourself using a THX setup disc or one of the alternatives.
AO Member

County: Durham
Yep, I'd agree. Out of the box the colours are over saturated to look good in a bright electrical store. Most evident with football pitches being luminous green.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
That's why we got a B&O smart TV . The colours are real and the sound is superb . Trouble is our son uses it at every opportunity to view Minecraft on YouTube !
Durty dog

I have this, dont use the 3D much but its their for the odd movie if i fancy it. The smart system works well and is quick to load up. LG on the other hand are quite temperamental and work better with a ethernet cable.
SAMSUNG UE55H6400 Smart 3D 55" LED TV Deals | Pcw
If you arent bothered about 3D then you can get a bigger screen non 3D for the same money

(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 06-11-14 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I searched and was unable to find as good a screen non 3D for the same or less money. Didn't want to go bigger.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I searched and was unable to find as good a screen non 3D for the same or less money. Didn't want to go bigger.
If you are going to stick with the 40" get the 3D, i have quite a nice collection of 3D blu ray movies and i do enjoy the 3D when i use it. Samsung is good stuff and they seem to have the better apps for it, LG dont have bbc iplayer or 4OD yet, i could be wrong but they didn't when i brought the Samsung, sort of made my mind up really.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Go for it bazza - we have a previous Samsung with all of the features less 3D.

Before we used Apple TV to access things like Netflix via our computers - now no need.

All I would say is get a reasonable sound system. Onboard speakers are crap - even the ad you quote suggests this.
We bought a cheap - £300 - Bose system - all we wanted to be able to do was hear speech clearly and it does the job (unlike the onboard ones).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
smart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page