Wifi conundrum - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Spacecadet

Wifi conundrum

I have a talktalk fibre optic internet connection.

It goes from the BT master socket, through the wall to the garage. To a BT open reach fibre box. That then connects to a talk talk wireless router. The wireless router connects to a power line adaptor. Another power line/wifi adaptor lives on the upstairs landing.

Today I finally got around to copying all the family pictures, files, video etc on to a 'new to me' PC as a kind of living backup in the spare room.

All of our stuff lives on Amazons cloud drive or Googles picasa.

Any rate. This PC is wireless internet enabled and started to download the 76Gb of data from Amazon. At just over 40Gb the Internet connection died.

I tried the turn off the wireless stuff in the garage and turn on again and got the Internet back, but it went off again a little while later.

It would appear that my internet connection no longer works. Using either the talk talk wireless router, or the power line wifi adaptor the symptoms are the same. The Internet works for a short while, then the connection goes super slow, then drops out totally for a minute or so. Then it comes bank on. This then repeats.

The talktalk router shows no errors in the log, and shows a correct and functional connection. Talktalk web based assistance'/troubleshooter shows no errors.

What could be going on?

I've tried turning it all off, and turning it all back on. Getting the sane symptoms on the PC, the iPad Air and a fruit phone 5S.

Any thoughts before I call talk talk on Monday?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I had loads of dropouts too today for some reason...
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I have a talktalk fibre optic internet connection.

It goes from the BT master socket, through the wall to the garage. To a BT open reach fibre box. That then connects to a talk talk wireless router. The wireless router connects to a power line adaptor. Another power line/wifi adaptor lives on the upstairs landing.

The talktalk router shows no errors in the log, and shows a correct and functional connection. Talktalk web based assistance'/troubleshooter shows no errors.

What could be going on?

I've tried turning it all off, and turning it all back on. Getting the sane symptoms on the PC, the iPad Air and a fruit phone 5S.

Any thoughts before I call talk talk on Monday?
When the issue is affecting all devices, even connected via cable to the initial router, you can safely look towards the ISP or router. If you can connect to the router all the time but not the internet then I'd be erring towards ISP issues. Is everything on the "extension" system?
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Is there a fair usage / throttle limit on daily downloads?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

I'd have said you've exceeded a daily download limit!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Daily cap
Spacecadet

This is talktalk. They supposedly don't throttle or cap usage.

I turned it al off over night, and I have now removed the talk talk router and connected the fibre box to the power line adaptor. Connection now back at 36Mbps+ stable. Will see how it stands up.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:

I turned it al off over night, and I have now removed the talk talk router and connected the fibre box to the power line adaptor. Connection now back at 36Mbps+ stable. Will see how it stands up.
Check your broadband fair use policy

40GB of data is a fair chunk
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

I haven't read TalkTalk's terms of use, but I'd be very surprised if they cut your service off should you exceed any traffic limits you may have.

Most ISP's these days will simply limit your speed (128k/256k is normal) to stop you being a drain on the exchange.

More likely the cheapo router TalkTalk gave you couldn't handle the sustained download you were throwing at it.
AO Platinum Member

My local exchange has been enabled, need to get myself on fibre, currently get about 3.5Mb download but my upload is woeful at less than 200Kb
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Is the fibre box in fact a router then? Normally the BT box is just an interface and you put your PPPoE credentials into the router which passes them on to the BT fibre box.
Spacecadet

No idea. The phone lines goes to a box that says Openreach Fibre. That then had a yellow Ethernet cable to the talktalk wifi box thing. I removed the cable from the talk talk box and plugged it into the home plug. It works. I don't understand wifi stuff.

AO Silver Member

That sounds dangerous to me in that whatever is connected will have a publicly accessible IP address. What's next in line after the home plug?
AO Silver Member

I have just re-read your original post. You have another wi-fi router at the other end to the home plug. Was this provided by talk talk also? I expect it was and that could be where your original issue was. They were both configured to do the same thing.
A word of warning. It's working at the moment because your home plug is directly replacing that yellow cable. If you added another home plug it would break. As you have it it has to be one to one as it is in effect the external connection.
Spacecadet

The fibre optic box connects to a Ethernet home plug. There is another Ethernet/wifi home plug in the house that does the wireless connection duties and a Ethernet only 4 way home plug behind the telly to serve the Sky box, you view box and PS3.

AO Silver Member

Spacecadet

That's the one.

AO Silver Member

It must be a modem/router then otherwise it wouldn't work.
The old talk talk router was probably trying to issue IPs in the same range and your disconnects could have been as a result of IP conflicts.
Assuming this is correct then the talk talk router could be reconfigure as another WAP. You do this by giving the talk talk router a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP range on the BT box, a default gateway that is the BT box and switch off the dhcp server on the talk talk box.
Clear as mud eh.
Spacecadet

That makes no sense to me at all.

I'll go with leaving it all alone.

AO Platinum Member

most consumer grade kit sandwiches roles you would allocate to dedicated hardware in a business into a single device.

Your openreach box is a hard modem and a hard router with a soft bridge connecting them, the speed it can process is reliant on the performance of the soft bridge and the features you have turned on, like web filtering, traffic management, firewall,etc., in most cases when a consumer grade modem/router falls over it is because this software element has crashed, normally down to poorly written firmware.

Rebooting the router will reset the in memory processes that have hung, sometimes they'll crash out and restart themselves, depends on how well written the firmware is but largely it's a hard reset job.

Linksys kit was renowned for this, no idea why cisco bought them, other than for getting its hands on the SPA series IP Telephony intellectual property...

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

Sean. As I read it he hasn't had a crash since he removed an old Talk Talk router from the equation which points the finger at that rather than the BT box.
You are right about the consumer kit trying to be all things. I wasn't pleased the other day when I discovered that the newer Draytek 120s are modem/routers and not a pure Ethernet modem as the earlier ones were.
Linksys - it certainly wasn't for their range of ADSL routers and WAPs none of which I would touch with a barge pole. The IP phones on the other hand ....
Spacecadet

Yes, the connection has been fine since the talk talk wifi box came out. One thing I have noticed after a day or two using a fruit phone 3G connection instead of house wifi is that the 3G connection is faster at going from request for a page to showing the page.

The house connection is better for speed when accessing big stuff like love film films, or YouTube. But the initial speed is near instant in mobile and noticeably slower on home broadband. Maybe a proper wifi access point plugged into the fibre box could help that.

Any thoughts?

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, the connection has been fine since the talk talk wifi box came out. One thing I have noticed after a day or two using a fruit phone 3G connection instead of house wifi is that the 3G connection is faster at going from request for a page to showing the page.

The house connection is better for speed when accessing big stuff like love film films, or YouTube. But the initial speed is near instant in mobile and noticeably slower on home broadband. Maybe a proper wifi access point plugged into the fibre box could help that.

Any thoughts?
DNS, check the fastest DNS servers for your locale.

https://code.google.com/p/namebench/
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Sean. As I read it he hasn't had a crash since he removed an old Talk Talk router from the equation which points the finger at that rather than the BT box.
You are right about the consumer kit trying to be all things. I wasn't pleased the other day when I discovered that the newer Draytek 120s are modem/routers and not a pure Ethernet modem as the earlier ones were.
Linksys - it certainly wasn't for their range of ADSL routers and WAPs none of which I would touch with a barge pole. The IP phones on the other hand ....
I was just posting for his knowledge as he said he didn't understand.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
conundrum , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page