Samsung Galaxy vs iPhone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 03-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Samsung Galaxy vs iPhone

Anyone had experience with both phones ? I have just changed over from my Apple iPhone 4 to a brand new Samsung Galaxy S4

I love the Huge Big HD Screen and everyone just cant help looking at it on the bus and train from their dull apple phones. It really makes my old apple phone look old and clunky in comparison.

But the menus on the Samsung are a disaster !! Its so complicated to use and does not make any sense at all and theres no logic in the way anything works. Where you expect a button to be there just isn't any and its basically a real disaster. I would have thought the later model Samsung's would be improved in terms of menus but they aren't.

And when you press a button on a Samsung you have to press it 2, 3, 4 or 5 times before it registers anything. I counted 18 times I pressed a button before it worked. And sometimes the buttons will never work unless you reboot.

This never happens on an apple. Press a button once and it works. And I really miss the easy menus of the Apple. However the screens are tiny and way out of step with the Samsung

I hear the iphone 6 will be coming out in a few days. Lets hope it has a bigger Samsung type screen as Im going back to Apple if it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Can't comment on your question, but I'm eyeing up this beauty for my next phone. I love big screens as I do so much work on my phone - and I'm also a big fan of the new Blackberry OS - works really well.

BlackBerry's Passport: Crazy enough for work? | ZDNet
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I've had android phones for the last 4+ years (about 9 in total) and most recently it was the HTC One until, that is, about 1 week ago when I switched to iPhone. The reason being that I've had a fair number of problems with android phones over the years and it can become quite a pain to get it fixed, this was one of the main pulls to apple as if something breaks I can just take it to one of their "genius" bars. I had similar problems to what your having amongst a whole host of other issues.

When I was changing across the guys in the phone shop were saying that the iPhone 6 announcement will be on 09th September with it being released from about 19th onwards which seems to be what's floating around online also.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
iPhone all the way
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Yep this is the choice of work phones we have: iphone or Samsung

Most of the Apple people love their little toy.
Apart from the problems with email attachments,
unable to borrow charging cables etc.

Turn off the AirView gestures to see if that makes buttons "better"etc.
On the Samsung. I can't say I've noticed this with teh S$
but then I use it as a mini tablet, radio and TV remote and not much else.

Bring back the physical keyboard!!!!!!!!! :mad
Make the phones smaller!
Durty dog

I have heard that the Samsungs are good phones until people start to load third party apps onto them, this is what causes the slow down. Apple are a lot more stricter with their apps which is why most iproducts don't suffer from slow down issues.

(Post Link) post #7 of 44 Old 03-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

I actually had 4 x iphone4s as they broke for one reason or another and I paid $200USD for a replacement after the warranty ended then all the phone after that broke and were replaced for free under warranty.

So Apple are fantastic with the Genius bar Ive been there so many times to get issues fixed and if they cant fix it they will give you a free phone. I feel taking my Samsung there to see if they can fix that !

I have also turned off all the air gesture functions on the Samsung which don't even work anyway - so see how that goes.

I have also seen the iphone6 (leaked) here :

Apple iPhone 6 'video' leaked

Looks ok - think im going back if that's it !

Last edited by Freds GTV 2001; 03-09-14 at 22:20.
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
I have also seen the iphone6 (leaked) here :

Apple iPhone 6 'video' leaked

Looks ok - think im going back if that's it !
If that is going to be the phone design (I've seen a couple now that have the same design) I prefer the look of the 5s to be honest as I think it looks a little better being a bit sharper but that's just my opinon
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

I'm sure my Galaxy Ace would be a lot better without all the pre-installed bloatware that I never use...you can root the things but knowing my luck I'd end up with a dead phone.
I know its a budget phone but its just got slower as time goes by...I sometimes wish I still had my HTC Wildfire.

Just checked...49 app icons of which I would happily lose 23 permanently
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer View Post
I'm sure my Galaxy Ace would be a lot better without all the pre-installed bloatware that I never use...you can root the things but knowing my luck I'd end up with a dead phone.
I know its a budget phone but its just got slower as time goes by...I sometimes wish I still had my HTC Wildfire.

Just checked...49 app icons of which I would happily lose 23 permanently
Samsungs work a lot better once rooted, you should't brick your device if you do it right.

(Post Link) post #11 of 44 Old 06-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

What does rooted mean apart from the obvious ?

Maybe I should take off all the apps I wont need.
Spacecadet

I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4s and now 5s.

Most of my friends have android.

When in the pub, the pro points of android phones seem to only be customisation potential. A friend who is very techy showed me his phone recently and was talking about the hours he had spent setting it up and modifying it and playing about with various background features. When I asked what all the mods did he was baffled by the question.

It still loads apps, it still makes calls, and it still sends and receives text and email messages. It just looked different and had a hugely complex menu system that scrolled up and down as well as side to side.

The iPhone - Android debate is pretty much down to the personal fiddle factor. iPhone just works out of the box and stays working with superb support. Android can work out of the box, but you are on your own with customisation from every corner.

Think mac vs PC.

You buy a £1200 PC which is a collection of brands jammed into a box with a generic operating system that makes it all work. Over time you fiddle and change stuff until it stops working and needs to be wiped and reinstalled clean. Then in 4 years your £1200 is worth £200 if anyone wants it.

Buy a £1200 iMac, it works out of the box on a specific operating system and stays working until you decide to change it for a new one. You sell the iMac after 4 years for £600 and get a sale in a few days.

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
What does rooted mean apart from the obvious ?

Maybe I should take off all the apps I wont need.
It's a way to gain greater access to android on your phone. It allows a lot more control of the device. Much like jailbreaking on iOS. The best purpose it serves on an Samsung is that you can get rid of the sh*** OS and put something far more pleasant, responsive and functional on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4s and now 5s.

Most of my friends have android.

When in the pub, the pro points of android phones seem to only be customisation potential. A friend who is very techy showed me his phone recently and was talking about the hours he had spent setting it up and modifying it and playing about with various background features. When I asked what all the mods did he was baffled by the question.

It still loads apps, it still makes calls, and it still sends and receives text and email messages. It just looked different and had a hugely complex menu system that scrolled up and down as well as side to side.

The iPhone - Android debate is pretty much down to the personal fiddle factor. iPhone just works out of the box and stays working with superb support. Android can work out of the box, but you are on your own with customisation from every corner.

Think mac vs PC.

You buy a £1200 PC which is a collection of brands jammed into a box with a generic operating system that makes it all work. Over time you fiddle and change stuff until it stops working and needs to be wiped and reinstalled clean. Then in 4 years your £1200 is worth £200 if anyone wants it.

Buy a £1200 iMac, it works out of the box on a specific operating system and stays working until you decide to change it for a new one. You sell the iMac after 4 years for £600 and get a sale in a few days.
Definitely the best analogy I have heard to describe the difference. Especially the last point. I use both Android and iOS with HTC One and iPhone 5. As much as I tend to favour android as I have for years, the iPhone just works and is far more simple when I am using it for work and social means.
(Post Link) post #14 of 44 Old 07-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

I cant see myself reprogramming my phone by rooting it.

All I need the phone for is to go to 2-3 sites on the internet and make and receive calls and listen to music.

But I do expect those basic functions to work. Still looking forward to the iphone6 launch in a few days
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Still prefer my Windows Phone especially with the 8.1 update.

In reality, unless you need a specific app, all smartphones do pretty much the same thing and it then comes down to what people prefer - there's nothing an iPhone or Android does that I can't do on my Lumia that I have any desire to do (and there's plenty my phone can do that I don't need).

Oh and whoever sold the Ace as an upgrade to anything, even the Wildfire, should be done for mis-selling - we get so many calls about them not having enough memory. Ace 3 or Fame are passable enough if not for the bloatware.
AO Platinum Member

I agree about specific apps.

I'd chance that new Blackberry, but no dual-sim version.
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
i hear people are already queuing for the latest i phone ,two weeks away
AO Platinum Member

Those are people paid by PR firms to big-up some app or the other, perhaps?
Because the only other explanation is that they are sad losers.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post

Those are people paid by PR firms to big-up some app or the other, perhaps?
Because the only other explanation is that they are sad losers.
(Post Link) post #20 of 44 Old 12-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

After seeing the new iphone 6 Im actually going to stay with Samsung.

Compared to the Galaxy S5 it has a smaller screen, doesn't even have Full HD and camera is 8Mp compared to 16Mp of the Samsung.

I think were beginning weve definitely seen the end of Apple as market leader in phones
AO Platinum Member

Don't fancy the top-of-the-range iPhone 6+ for $949 USD then?
AO Platinum Member

After iOS, I find Android completely un-fathomerable!

Other than expensive paid apps (Navigon), my main reason for sticking with Apple is ease of use.
AO Platinum Member

I've got Navigon (US maps) on Android and can put it on any Android device.
It's not bad.

Got TomTom too for Europe and it's a bit clunky. Looks like
they just ported/emulated their existing software for their boxes.

BTW Mr SR, what about iWatch? Are you up for one?
Apple are saying they plan to kill Switzerland's designer watch market
with it.
AO Platinum Member

No iWatch for me thanks!
(Post Link) post #25 of 44 Old 12-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

iWatch ?! Don't think anyone will be buying that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
galaxy , iphone , samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page