Windows 8.1 mobile - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 03-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Windows 8.1 mobile

My phone (Nokia Lumia 625) decided this morning that I was due some new software, so I accepted the idea and after quite a long time, it upgraded me to version 8.1

There seem to be quite a few improvements but these are the ones that have pleased me so far:
  • There are now separate volume settings for music and texts / calls
  • There is now a dedicated FM radio icon / tile (which I very much like), so much better than navigating via the music tile.
  • Contacts can now be displayed by those who just have phone numbers - so your facebook friends don't automatically appear as contacts.

Is anyone else on this version? What's your opinion on it? Any tips or tricks you care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

Still waiting for it on my 620, for some reason it always seems to be the last to get any update. The one thing I'm waiting for is the ability to set a ringtone to a music file stored on the phone rather than having to connect it to a pc.

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Loads of info here Windows Phone Central | News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone

Just waiting for it to be released for the 520
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 07-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Loads of info here Windows Phone Central | News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone

Just waiting for it to be released for the 520
Now that, GD, was a splendid website

One of the articles told you how to add all the world cup fixtures to your calendar by linking to Sky Sports, so as it is too late to add the world cup fixtures, I thought I would try using a link to the Brighton & Hove Albion fixtures instead. I managed to add them to my hotmail calendar and after a bit of fettling in hotmail (I have no idea what I did), all the fixtures now appear in the calendar on my phone - result!!!

I just need to know how to restore the "Local scout" app that I not very cleverly deleted from my main screen. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not an app that is downloadable, nor does it have any sort of back up within the phone

Last edited by Starkers; 07-08-14 at 13:14. Reason: Clarity / more words
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post

One of the articles told you how to add all the world cup fixtures to your calendar by linking to Sky Sports, so as it is too late to add the world cup fixtures, I thought I would try using a link to the Brighton & Hove Albion fixtures instead. I managed to add them to my hotmail calendar and after a bit of fettling in hotmail (I have no idea what I did), all the fixtures now appear in the calendar on my phone - result!!!

I just need to know how to restore the "Local scout" app that I not very cleverly deleted from my main screen. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not an app that is downloadable, nor does it have any sort of back up within the phone
Hi, glad you like it.

Re: the app it may still be on your phone, removing something from the home screen removes the tile, not the app. Do a search for it, if it finds it tap and hold to get the option to add it to the home screen
CobolMan

Updated to Cyan and WP8.1 today and so far I like it, a lot.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Still awaiting our 8.1 update (imminent) but will mention that you could always filter to individual account if you wanted for the contacts (though can't recall when I looked at work if there were any extra filter options).

Availability in Europe - Nokia and scroll down to UK to see when you should be able to get it (well, if it's still under testing or not).

To get scout back, do the following...

Tap on the "Search" icon, then on the "Scout" icon (left of the three but 3 dots helps).
Once you have it open, tap the 3 dots again and select "Pin to start".

Had done a quick search but didn't spot anything so looked on my phone (so this is still 8, but suspect it hasn't changed for 8.1)
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

got an update (Cyan and W8.1) today on my 920. so far looks positive. and I definitely like a return of volumes separation.

Noticed that 'background tasks' are moved to battery saver section now. Plenty of new apps that are running on the background and I had to switch them off.

in start+theme found an option to have more tiles per screen. interesting (6 small tiles in a row).
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
got an update (Cyan and W8.1) today on my 920. so far looks positive. and I definitely like a return of volumes separation.

Noticed that 'background tasks' are moved to battery saver section now. Plenty of new apps that are running on the background and I had to switch them off.

in start+theme found an option to have more tiles per screen. interesting (6 small tiles in a row).
I haven't really had opportunity to delve around in the OS yet, does tweaking background tasks improve performance? We use the 520 as a business phone and some end users feel the performance is lackluster at times (it is an £80 phone but they still seem to compare it to a £500 iPhone)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'm a little surprised - most people here are impressed with the general responsiveness of both Win 8+ phones but especially the 520. Part of that will be the vast improvement over the previously most popular entry phone the Samsung "I haven't enough memory to remember my name" Galaxy Ace - the one thing I'd like to see though is a higher spec version of the 520 in the same size package, maybe priced around the £200 mark.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

Quote:
I haven't really had opportunity to delve around in the OS yet, does tweaking background tasks improve performance? We use the 520 as a business phone and some end users feel the performance is lackluster at times (it is an £80 phone but they still seem to compare it to a £500 iPhone)
I never really struggled with the performance (probably because I limited background tasks in the old version too), but it definitely improves battery life
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 19-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Hi, glad you like it.

Re: the app it may still be on your phone, removing something from the home screen removes the tile, not the app. Do a search for it, if it finds it tap and hold to get the option to add it to the home screen
I did a search on various internet fora and the general consensus seems to be that you can't get it back , although I am wondering if a factory reset might restore it....

In other news, after only 6 or so months, the phone's 7GB hard drive is nearly full up , so I purchased a (Sony) 32GB mini SD card last weekend and when I inserted it, the phone spotted it straight away and it works fine, so that's a tidy upgrade I am happy with
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:

Quote:
I did a search on various internet fora and the general consensus seems to be that you can't get it back , although I am wondering if a factory reset might restore it....

In other news, after only 6 or so months, the phone's 7GB hard drive is nearly full up , so I purchased a (Sony) 32GB mini SD card last weekend and when I inserted it, the phone spotted it straight away and it works fine, so that's a tidy upgrade I am happy with
Did you try my method above of accessing the local scout from the search page?

Go to search icon. Click the "Scout" icon which is the left of the 3 shown, then hit the 3 dots and select Pin to Start (and that's now tested and confirmed with 8.1)
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Anyone using Cortana yet?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

As soon as EE release the update - waiting for UK regional rather than changing settings.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

I had WP8 and 8.1 early through the developer program, its superb on my Lumia 925.

No downsides too with the developer releases, i.e. nothing seems broken, and getting access to Cortana a few months early was great (albeit with her annoying American accent).
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Yes been running on the developer preview too. Must confess I was sceptical about a digital assistant but location based reminders are very handy - such as when in Letchworth do x

Nice one Microsoft
(Post Link) post #18 of 27 Old 04-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Did you try my method above of accessing the local scout from the search page?

Go to search icon. Click the "Scout" icon which is the left of the 3 shown, then hit the 3 dots and select Pin to Start (and that's now tested and confirmed with 8.1)
A very delayed response but no, I couldn't access Local scout from the search page.

However, yesterday I noticed that my maps application informed me that an upgrade was required, so I executed that and Local Scout has reappeared
The eating and drinking recommendations, things to see and do and shop recommendations are all there but the excellent gig guide, that I really liked, is missing
Perhaps it works in conjunction with a music application that I have uninstalled.
(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 18-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

The phone has upgraded itself again, I now have Cortana.

I have activated the "quiet hours" function, which is good.

I tried it once by saying "text Dave Smith", it recognised those words as it reproduced them on the screen but told me that it couldn't find a Dave Smith in my address book.

Perhaps I need more tuition
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
The phone has upgraded itself again, I now have Cortana.

I have activated the "quiet hours" function, which is good.

I tried it once by saying "text Dave Smith", it recognised those words as it reproduced them on the screen but told me that it couldn't find a Dave Smith in my address book.

Perhaps I need more tuition
Did you try Smith Dave?
(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 18-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Well whaddya know, I've just tried it again and it found Dave Smith - result!

Perhaps I just need to persist / experiment a bit more with it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Cool

Quote:
Well whaddya know, I've just tried it again and it found Dave Smith - result!

Perhaps I just need to persist / experiment a bit more with it.
It's not perfect but you can do a few decent things like "Remind me to take the bins out when I get home" or "Remind me to watch the TV at 8 o'clock". I've been able to text mostly by voice as well if desired though it's not always as good if there's road noise.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Cortana cannot understand a word I say. I say ring Ann, it looks for someone called Jan. I say ring Tom it googles a definition of ring tone.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Cortana cannot understand a word I say. I say ring Ann, it looks for someone called Jan. I say ring Tom it googles a definition of ring tone.
Correction, it searches for a definition of ring tone, using Bing...

If you're having trouble, try breaking it down... Say "Ring" and Cortana will then ask "Who do you want to ring?" I have had a couple of moments when things just weren't playing ball (yup, it's still a bit of a work in progress though I expect improvements) but find that breaking it down is a way to help, even if it takes a few moments longer.
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 18-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Perhaps it doesn't understand northern

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
lumia , mobile , nokia , software , upgraade , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page