Active Bookshelf Speakers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Active Bookshelf Speakers

Any recommendations?

Thinking of getting a ROCKI and streaming to them, quite like the look of Ruark MR1 and they get fantastic reviews.

Have you got a similar setup?

What do you use?

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I got my wife one of these Beolit 12
It's amazing . 120 watts coming from the child of a Roberts radio and a sandwich box!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

GT v6

Genelecs. Tight, fast don't distort. Trouble is they tell the Gods honest truth.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipt33 View Post
Genelecs. Tight, fast don't distort. Trouble is they tell the Gods honest truth.
Because they are studio monitors, are they not?
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't want that level of fidelity, I have some Grado cans and they can have an adverse affect on listening pleasure.

The Genelecs are also a bit modern in style for my decor and most certainly wouldn't get past the wife.

Great warranty though, shows they trust that they make quality kit, that or it's overpriced and your paying for an insurance policy...

Last edited by GhostyDog; 01-06-14 at 14:09.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Any recommendations?

Thinking of getting a ROCKI
I was thinking of getting a Sonos 'connect' - I wonder how this compares for sound quality and other features? It's certainly a lot cheaper
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 01-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
I was thinking of getting a Sonos 'connect' - I wonder how this compares for sound quality and other features? It's certainly a lot cheaper
I'm going to order one to plug into my Ruark R1 so i'll let you know.
AO Gold Member

Cheers, I'll be interested to hear what you think.
RSK

Unless portability and the requirement to use the kit out of the home is a requirement I'd pass on the Roki and look at Sonos.

For about the same money you could get either a Sonos 3 or perhaps better yet a pair of Sonos 1s to arrange as a stereo pair.

The sq of the Sonos kit is at least as good as comparably priced active Bluetooth speakers and such a system would give you significantly more opportunity for expansion and flexibility of sources. From a single app on a phone you will be able to access music on a local server including integration with iTunes , worldwide radio, all the major music services (spotify, Amazon, Google etc) and direct play of music held on your phones.

Having looked at many alternatives I can't recommend Sonos highly enough in terms of ease of use, flexibility and sound quality. I have it now throughout the house playing on everything from Sonos 1 in the bedroom through to a fairly high end Cyrus/Dali hifi setup in the study.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Sean. Are you an iThingy or Android person ?

If it's iThingy then take a look at
WiFi Audio Music Receiver Adapter - AirPlay Compatible: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Converts any Active Speakers or Hi-Fi to Airplay will also work with Android as Bluetooth adapter.
Analog and Optical out.
AO Silver Member

As you may recall I am a Squeezebox fan and have a number dotted around the house but have recently put a bit of kit in the bedroom to up the sound quality from the TV. I considered active speakers but in the end opted for a Topping TP20 mini amp and a pair of Wharefedale Modus Cubes that I had lying around.
There is an Apple TV connected to the TV and I use my iThingy and an app called iPeng to stream music from the squeezebox server to that. I also use the iThingy to stream Amazon Instant Video and BBC iPlayer etc i.e. I upgraded my TV to a Smart TV.
If I had been looking for audio only I would have gone with the gadget mentioned above coupled with the Topping & Speakers. The Topping Amp was £45 and it has amazing sound (and build) quality for its price point.
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 02-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Unless portability and the requirement to use the kit out of the home is a requirement I'd pass on the Roki and look at Sonos.

For about the same money you could get either a Sonos 3 or perhaps better yet a pair of Sonos 1s to arrange as a stereo pair.

The sq of the Sonos kit is at least as good as comparably priced active Bluetooth speakers and such a system would give you significantly more opportunity for expansion and flexibility of sources. From a single app on a phone you will be able to access music on a local server including integration with iTunes , worldwide radio, all the major music services (spotify, Amazon, Google etc) and direct play of music held on your phones.

Having looked at many alternatives I can't recommend Sonos highly enough in terms of ease of use, flexibility and sound quality. I have it now throughout the house playing on everything from Sonos 1 in the bedroom through to a fairly high end Cyrus/Dali hifi setup in the study.

That's only one room where there are no speakers, I already have audio devices in all other rooms so looking for something that can fit the bill since Arctic Cooling canned their upnp/dlna renderer, if the ROCKI works well I'll replace the Arctic Cooling thing with one, thats currently hooked up to a Roberts Revival using a powerline ethernet adaptor.

I also don't think SONOS would work very well in my house, I have a £300 Cisco Meraki WIFI AP that can't penetrate the central wall of my house so I doubt SONOS could. I have to have two wifi APs front and rear of house to get full coverage, it's an unfortunate side affect of living in a very old house with very thick walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Sean. Are you an iThingy or Android person ?

If it's iThingy then take a look at
WiFi Audio Music Receiver Adapter - AirPlay Compatible: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Converts any Active Speakers or Hi-Fi to Airplay will also work with Android as Bluetooth adapter.
Analog and Optical out.
iOS with enough spare devices hanging around to dedicate one as a control point. I use persona software media connect, unfortunately in iOS it requires focus otherwise it stops playing songs.

Alternative is just use airplay off my iPhone but that will burn battery like no tomorrow unless docked.

I've seen the device above and was thinking of getting one prior to discovering ROCKI.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

GT v6

Sorry for the goose chase. It's just that fidelity counts with me. I can understand the other half issues. We do have to appease them. Compromise, that is life for us that share. Good luck with your hunt. It is good fun hunting though.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 02-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry for the goose chase. It's just that fidelity counts with me. I can understand the other half issues. We do have to appease them. Compromise, that is life for us that share. Good luck with your hunt. It is good fun hunting though.
I don't have the time to root out impeccable recordings of my fave music otherwise fidelity would be high on my list too
RSK

I hear you Ghosty. Sonos works just fine on powerline ethernet fwiw.

Take a look at the Q acoustics bt3 speakers which are getting very good reviews

AO Silver Member

Audio engine A2+ get very good reviews and very flexible with built in USB DAC
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 04-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

So, my Rocki turned up today and I quickly got it up and running with my Ruark R1, the voice on the Rocki told me it had connected to my wireless network and so I started off by trying to send a song from my asset media server to it and got a big fat upnp fail.

Hmmmm, so next thing I tried was airplay from my iPad which worked but the sound quality was apalling which was odd because the fidelity of the audio prompts from Rocki were excellent.

I opened up a ping tool on my iPad and it quickly showed up the limitations of my wifi network, latency akin to communicating with computers in eastern europe and dropped packets.

Looks like my biggest issue is going to be the wifi in my house as mentioned earlier.

Will try the rocki in hotspot mde in a while to see how it sounds but for the short amount of time I managed to get some music playing it sounded pretty good, until it started breaking up and then died altogether (the stream, not the rocki).

AO Platinum Member

I got a "plug and play " net gear wifi booster at the weekend but the instructions were unclear to a Luddite like me ! Would one work for you with your thick walls?
(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 04-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I got a "plug and play " net gear wifi booster at the weekend but the instructions were unclear to a Luddite like me ! Would one work for you with your thick walls?
Do you mean the powerline adaptors?
AO Platinum Member

It's this one WN1000RP | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR
And on the subject Beolit 12 I was recommending , I just discovered from the B&O equivalent of this site that there's a price reduction to £429 from the £599 we paid at the end of March . I feel like e- mailing them , but what's the point.
(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 04-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
It's this one WN1000RP | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR
And on the subject Beolit 12 I was recommending , I just discovered from the B&O equivalent of this site that there's a price reduction to £429 from the £599 we paid at the end of March . I feel like e- mailing them , but what's the point.
It's one way around the problem but they don't tend to support any roaming technologies so if you move around you lose connectivity and regain connectivity on a new AP.

It's not ideal.
AO Platinum Member

I think we've had an issue with one of our iPads recocognizing the netgear thing and now its confused by the settings !
Must read the instructions again...
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 04-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yeah, make sure if you use the same SSID, authentication method and key that the powerline thingy is configured to a different wifi channel to your main router.

Currently sat listening to Inside of Me by Baker Gurvitz Army and it is sounding pretty good.

Just have to maintain good signal, maybe theres interference from somewhere...?

Don't have the kit to properly monitor air though
AO Silver Member

Sean.
Is ROCKI AirPlay compatible or some other Wi-Fi based protocol altogether ?

On home wi-fi generally. Having tried all sorts of different combinations I have settled on the same SSID / Authentication methodology on all APs (3) but different channels as far as possible not overlapping (2,6 & 11). Roaming seems to work OK most of the time but I don't have the structural issues that you evidently have.
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 05-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Sean.
Is ROCKI AirPlay compatible or some other Wi-Fi based protocol altogether ?

On home wi-fi generally. Having tried all sorts of different combinations I have settled on the same SSID / Authentication methodology on all APs (3) but different channels as far as possible not overlapping (2,6 & 11). Roaming seems to work OK most of the time but I don't have the structural issues that you evidently have.
It's airplay, upnp and dlna compatible, although my current controlpoint software errors with it where other cp software like Linns Kinsky doesn't.

Rocki have their own ios app in for review on the appstore this week so if that works well I'll be jumping ship.

My gateway router is draytek so might pick up a few of draytek ap's and set them up like this.

http://www.draytek.com/index.php?opt...id=293&lang=en

Sean

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
active , bookshelf , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page