Microsoft surface - anyone using it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

EddieGTA

Microsoft surface - anyone using it?

My Dad recently updated his ancient phone and went for a Nokia with Windows phone, which I find surprisingly good.

He's starting to think about getting a tablet and having never used a surface tablet I am wondering if anyone has opinion on them, as he's familiar with the phone interface it could be the better bet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Are you thinking of the Surface or the Surface Pro?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Asus Vivotab user here.

Same thing as Surface Pro, but better. With a fully docking keyboard.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Colleague has the Pro 2 and loves it. Only thing he misses is a few extra inches on the screen which the Pro 3 would solve but it's not cheap. Standard Surface is just running RT but is much cheaper so depends if the aim is for something akin to a mini, highly portable computer or a good sized tablet akin to something like an iPad.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Just thought I would revive this thread.
I am looking to get a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 processor.

It seems to be everything I want.
The Lenovo Yoga 2 (the 3 is really nice but too expensive) also looks great but I am unsure about how well it would work in tablet form with the keyboard folded back on to the screen.

Has anyone tried the Pro 3?

This is to replace my 7/8 year old Macbook which has served me brilliantly.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

I have one as my work machine (great piece of kit for a sys admin) and it is quite simply, the ****, dogs ********* and the bees knees.

I have the i5 128Gb model, the keyboard cover and the docking station. Highly recommended.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Great, thank you.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Also have a look at the Asus Transformer
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
My Dad recently updated his ancient phone and went for a Nokia with Windows phone, which I find surprisingly good.

He's starting to think about getting a tablet and having never used a surface tablet I am wondering if anyone has opinion on them, as he's familiar with the phone interface it could be the better bet.
I use the surface pro for work and they are beautiful bits of kit, it ties in with my windows work phone, laptop & desktop. I also like the idea that you can attach usb products and external hard drives.

They also have a really cool built in back stand.

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I've got a Surface Pro 3 through work.

i5 CPU, 2.50ghz, 4GB RAM and 128GB drive. Runs Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

It's a lot more portable than the laptop it has replaced. The full keyboard built into the cover works very well (despite being a hideous bright blue) and the touch screen is about as accurate as my iPad (and therefore a lot more accurate than my Kindle!)

The desktop docking station takes up quite a bit of space, and I don't like the power connecter on the docking station - it looks like it will snap off and it's fiddly to slot the Surface into the station and locate the power stub at the same time.

I'm struggling a bit with W8.1 look and feel. Nothing seems very logical at the moment (I'm 2 weeks into it now) and I spend 90% of the time flipping it straight into desktop mode and using it like Windows 7.

I can't get the Windows 8 "email" app panel to connect to my Outlook (it keeps trying to kick off a Windows mail session instead) and the "home" button on the screen edge (unlike Apple home key) has no tactile response - it's just a logo - so it doesn't register every time you hit it.

I'm also getting wireless drop outs every time it hibernates, and it's not an easy reconnect - but that may just be my works flakey wireless network and security settings to be honest.

The telling point at the moment is that when I take it home in the evenings, I tend to swap to my iPad still to browse the internet rather than switch on the Surface. Time may overcome this.

Although I didn't have to buy this myself - I still think they are way overpriced. Out here in the UAE they are around 8,000 AED which sits just below the price of a top of the range MacBook Air.

Last edited by FredDibnah; 06-01-15 at 08:16.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

I actually opted for a Lenovo Yoga 2 in the end. After looking at the Surface in the shop I didn't think it would be user friendly on a lap - it seems as if a good surface was needed to make it sit well.

Also, I was about to part with 850 at John Lewis (same price as the i5 MS Surface with a keyboard) for the top of the range Yoga 2 Pro i7 (couldn't stretch to 1299 for the Yoga 3) and I spotted whilst in store on their website (I was looking for the it cheaper elsewhere for a price match) that they had the Yoga 2 i3 version for 450 so I got that instead - slower and a bit inferior all round I know but capable of what I need. It is OK wih the keyboard folded back and it is not too heavy given I was used to the MacBook.

It then went down to 400 a couple of days later so a quick call to John Lewis and they gave me 50 back.

The wifi is a bit iffy on it but manageable at the moment - it might improve with later drivers.

All in all, very happy.

EddieGTA

Some interesting replies. In the end the problem solved itself when work gave me an iPad, so I gave my Dad my nexus 7 and he is a happy bunny

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Some interesting replies. In the end the problem solved itself when work gave me an iPad, so I gave my Dad my nexus 7 and he is a happy bunny
Nexus 7 is a nice tablet

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
Nexus 7 is a nice tablet
I miss it after giving it away For the price it's very capable.

AO Platinum Member

I'm really liking the tablet for my Asus Padfone Mini. (PF400CG)

Didn't think I'd use it much, but it made perfect sense on the road
and in the plane.
AO Platinum Member

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
microsoft , surface

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page