Unauthorised in game purchases on XBox360 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Unauthorised in game purchases on XBox360

For 3 months now we have been going round in circles with Microsoft and EA Sports, to no avail however wonder if anyone will be able to advise. I'll try to keep it brief.
Christmas time my boy gets XBox360 and FIFA14. Happy days.
Fast forward a month and as part of his 10th Birthday present we have paid for xBox Live for 1year plus made a one off £20 in game purchase. Purchase made by my wife using her credit card.
One week later, we have a series of bills totalling £156 for in game purchasing of FIFA points, despite having parental controls in place. It seems the console stored the card details and thus no password was needed to make these purchases. Case raised with Microsoft to no avail. As far as they are concerned, purchases were made in our house on our console and as such are authorised.
Fast forward a few more days, and NONE of the purchased content is accessible, neither the original £20 purchase nor the subsequent unauthorised points purchases. It would appear that there is an age restriction of 14 on this content, so with my son being 10 his package is now restricted - despite the purchase having been made with no problems using his details in the first instance.
In summary we are £176 down on purchases which it would seem he is no longer allowed to access. We were honest about his age when registering for obvious reason so feel we are being punished for this honesty. He initially was able to access the extras but this privilege was subsequently withdrawn - in my eyes this now constitutes theft. EA Sports say they are aware of the problem but have no solution as it is an EULA issue, and that the purchases were made via Microsoft so we should contact them as they are the seller. Microsoft are sticking by their guns and refusing any assistance whatsoever as they have paid EA, and referred us to the credit card company to recover monies. They too can do nothing apparently.
Can anyone advise where we stand legally? The product has been sold by them to a user deemed to be under age and privileges withdrawn, yet no refund is forthcoming. Personally would like it all to be wiped, money refunded and he can just live with the game in its basic form until he is 14. To say we're ****ed off is an understatement...........

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Durty dog

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

I would go to the card company and get them to refund you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Your Credit card company will be able to sort it out for you... the goods where also technically not fit for purchase, since you were honest and told them he was only 10 and the products not being able to be used by under 14s.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
I would go to the card company and get them to refund you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Your Credit card company will be able to sort it out for you... the goods where also technically not fit for purchase, since you were honest and told them he was only 10 and the products not being able to be used by under 14s.
Tried that and they washed their hands of it too. Caught between a rock and a hard place . . . .
Personally think it is a disgrace that these games can be designed in such a way. I realise my son is far from blameless, however at no point was there a mention of 'purchase' or money when these transactions took place.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

There have been lots of cases with Apple about this and the law has either been changed or is being changed to say that the password has to be entered every time rather than saved for 20 minutes... Not sure how the Xbox differs with the password....

The credit card company has to do something, its the law... Which company is it... Quote then "Payment services regulation"
Durty dog

The problem with the fifa game is that you get awarded in game points, it then asks the player if he would like to exchange the points for players, when ok is confirmed the points are exchanged for money off your card to buy the download. This would have come up on your tv screen as press continue to confirm purchase, it would even show the last four numbers of your bank card. Sorry mate but i think your son has done what many others including mine have done to their folks. Its all part of the addiction and if there on-line friends have that team or player then our sons will want it as its pressure to compete.

The xbox doesnt need a password to purchase, its just a confirmation acceptance before purchase. Microsoft terms and conditions states that signing in as a player is confirmation of the account owner.....in other words a cop out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
game , purchases , unauthorised , xbox360

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page