Phishing *******s - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Phishing *******s

Well, last night the wife casually asks me what my password is for EBAY as she's been asked to input it again, I tell her and she says am I sure, I tell her another one that it might have been. Neither of them work, so I get the laptop and am just about to try again when I notice the address bar is showing some Russian addresss!!

Spend the next 10 minutes running through password changes on the usual sites where I might use the same or similar username and passwords and then start to do some digging around how the ******s might have got through!

We've Norton products, and I know what others think but they've never let us down, and they are all up to date patch wise. I go back thru the history to the page before the dodgy one and click on it again, the page starts loading and then reloads to the EBAY login page again with the russian address!

I then get onto Ebay customer service and get passed immediately from a normal service agent to someone with a lot more techy knowhow! I pass them a pile of addresses and they are going to look into it.

I then looked online at the address and it came up in a few sites where Phishing was mentioned as having an ip address change recently. Thankfully I was there at the time and the Mrs just didn't ignore it. She now is a little bit more cautious when beiong asked for passwords!

I also carried out a full sweep of the laptop after that and it came back clean.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/group...fa+owners.html

also on ****ter @alfamack
Will always be
No 1
on the GIT LIST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Sounds like the site itself has been compromised, not your computer. Good practice to have moved all your current passwords away from the ones you have accidentally given away.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
phishing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page