Xcarlink iPhone adapter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 17-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Xcarlink iPhone adapter

Hi all,

I've just had a DAB system put in the GT with iPod playback facility. I'm now selling the Xcarlink adapter, it's 18 months old & works perfectly. It's compatible with 147/GT single din head units, allows you to keep steering wheel controls, charges also. You can select tracks from a genius playlist or you own playlist using steering wheel, or individual albums or tracks using iPhone itself. 30 minute install, only tool needed is head unit removing forks. It plugs in to the cd multichanger socket on back of head unit, you can still play single discs though via head unit.

I fed mine from back of head unit & out, then velcro'd box (size of cigarette packet) to side carpet on drivers footwell, no drilling required.

Offers welcome. Feel free to ask questions.

Apologies if this is posted in wrong section, couldn't see appropriate area in classifieds.

Cheers
Stu

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

2006-2008 156 2.0 TS Lusso
2011 - now GT 1.9Jtd
2015 GT 1.9 & 146 1.8 twinny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Any idea if this will work with a Brera in place of the CDC?
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well, I just looked on xcarlink site, selected the 2005 GT and got the product code, did same with Brera (had to guess at 2008)and it's same model code. The site is here if you wish to do the same: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=28&page=1

If you're interested, then feel free to make me an offer!

Regards

Stu

VO2Max

I have one of these, and it works well.

I must confess though, I couldn't get mine to be able to select playlists from the steering wheel controls?

Probably just my inability though.

Rushy, does yours show track/artist details on the dashboard display? Mine only shows track-time elapsed.

(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Sorry, I should clarify.

Can't select a playlist from wheel, only tracks within playlist. Only time elapsed shows on dash & head unit.

However, as it's using multichanger port, by default disc 1 is the main player, but you can select a new imaginary CD slot (2-10) and use one of those for different playlists. However I tend to stick to disc 1 slot and use that.

It's simpler to use than I've explained!

VO2Max

Ah, sounds the same as mine. Worth having though. And as you say, it works with the iPod so you can actually use the iPod controls if you want.

I might get myself a nice little bracket thingy to mount the iPod somewhere where I can reach it. To be honest though, I tend to leave it in shuffle and just skip to the next track if I'm not in the mood for whatever comes up.

(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I bought a vent mount from halfords, about a tenner. Sits centre of dash above stereo. Handy as I use the TomTom app on phone so it doesn't obscure windscreen.

VO2Max

Out of interest Rushy, what DAB unit did you get?

And have they actually managed to get traffic reports to come through if you want them yet? I had one of the early Blaupunkt DAB units (which was actually very good) but there was no flaming traffic info because they hadn't agreed on a Europe-wide bloody protocol!

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushy55 View Post
I bought a vent mount from halfords, about a tenner. Sits centre of dash above stereo. Handy as I use the TomTom app on phone so it doesn't obscure windscreen.

Is this an iPod, or an iPhone you're using?

(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

These guys, uses a very good Bluetooth box behind head unit, with a wireless aerial mounted on screen. I can get over 50 stations around here. Uses a spare preset on head unit. I like to keep car as standard as possible, so it uses Alfa head unit still. Comes with remote to store 4 presets in the DAB box. Installers brilliant, really know their ICE. http://www.justconnectme.co.uk/

(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Is this an iPod, or an iPhone you're using?

Yep, using iPhone 4S.

VO2Max

Quote:
...uses a very good Bluetooth box behind head unit, with a wireless aerial mounted on screen.

Sorry, I just love the irony of a wireless aerial! That makes it a wireless wireless!

VO2Max

Quote:
These guys...Installers brilliant, really know their ICE. Digital Car Radio, Car DAB radio, Convert car to DAB | JustCONNECT
That's very interesting, a competitive price for getting DAB in your car and an innovative solution. It appears to be a direct audio connection, so no converting to FM and losing quality.

But do you get traffic information on DAB yet?

(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Ok, I've confused myself and therefore need to almost start again.

It's not bluetooth, I don't know where I got that from. So, here's how it works:

The DAB box takes power from hard wired on car via a power cable. It receives the DAB signal and does indeed transmit to a saved preset fm frequency, 87.6, on the head unit. Head unit transmits to the aerial, this is not direct connected to head unit and is wireless connection (the factory roof aerial is still plugged in to head unit for regular radio reception). Channel selection for DAB is done by the supplied remote control.

If you want to use regular fm/mw/lw then just press one of the other head unit preset buttons or select band you want.

No, there's no Traffic Alert facility with this, but, as it uses fm then i guess that if you have TI selected it will cut in as it would on any other fm broadcast? Is that what you meant by traffic information?

Mass apologies for not being awake with earlier posts.

Stu

VO2Max

No problem Stu!

With my old Blaupunkt unit, the big bugbear was that since no protocol had been established for traffic info on DAB (this needs to be a Europe-wide treaty), ideally you wanted the radio to switch to the same station on the FM band during traffic reports, and then go back to DAB when the report was over. The radio didn't do this. At the time, no DAB radios with FM did this. I'm not sure what the situation is now?

It's a major failing of DAB, and totally ridiculous that the bloody politicians can't sort this out. DAB is a system that could be really good in many respects. The other thing is sampling rate. Audiophiles don't like it because they chose a crap sampling rate to squeeze as many channels in as possible, to maximise licensing revenue. I believe this has been partially addressed with the advent of DABII, but to be honest I've pretty well lost interest because it's just another example of govts not considering or being interested in the needs of the people that matter...the consumers.

(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 19-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I agree, I read about the bandwith and yes, it's a shame that quality will be sacrificed for squeezing more stations in. In fact some stations that started out with a good stream have reduced their output quality to allow more of their own stations. I believe Absolute have done this, with the original good stream for their main station now using a reduced rate to allow for their 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00's stations.

I knew about this lack of audio quality (for the audiophiles) before i bought the car DAB, i just wanted variety and more choice. I like BBC R6 and R4Xtra for example and in evenings will listen to radio more than TV.

I've had DAB in the house for about 5 years, so it was frustrating not being able to listen to favourite stations in the car!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
adapter , iphone , xcarlink

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page