TV doodahs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 27-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

TV doodahs

Esteemed dudes of the Great AOracle.

Bought my old ma' a TV since her old flat screen CRT recently demised.

She has a Freesat box so a dish and a screw-in "F-type" (??) co-ax cable.

I bought an HD TV since for the price, I think this is one useful feature for her (the Elder Mrs S. does not "need" 3D or Smart or any other features, for example).

Now then.. TV has a built in Freeview HD tuner, so it needs an aerial (push-in) co-ax cable, which we have established she doesn't have.

So .. for the time being I plugged her Freesat box to the TV using her SCART cable (replicating her existing setup) but SCART as any fule knoe .. (I do now.. ) is only 720 definitions and not 1080. Her freesat box doesn't have an HDMI out.. just SCART so it'll never be able to pass on "HD".

Ideally and in the perfect world.. I need an adaptor/connector co-ax.. that converts screw-type co-ax cable to a push in... but it seems beyond the wit of Panashinang electronic$ corporations to invent this 99p device.

My options are:

1) Re-fit (!) an aerial and then plug that in to the Freeview-HD enabled TV
2) Buy a Freeview HD box and use an HDMI cable to connect to the TV (saves having an aerial but introduces an extra and unnecessary piece of kit in the shape of the Freeview HD box). TV already has the doodah built in.

Anyone knoe any other options, using the existing kit?

I'd prefer it if my old ma' only has one appliance and one remote to worry aboot option 1 would appear favourite, as I see it... but she has a pretty new and decent satellite dish already so it's a pity to dump it and/or go to further expense if it's avoidable..?

Ta.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Why not get a Freesat HD box with HDMI to replace the existing SCART one?
RSK

TV doodahs

Ref option 2 do you mean Free sat HD box ?

A Free view one will still require an aerial.

Assuming yes I'd go option 2 to save too much bother. A freesat hd box can be picked up from 50 upwards and for not more than 100 you're looking boxes with recorders. It's going to cost you more than that to buy and install a decent high gain aerial suitable for Freeview HD.

I hear your concern ref the single set of buttons but being linked by hdmi the freesat box will automatically switch the tv to the right input and its more likely than not its buttons will control the volume and power on/off too unless it is a real cheapy.

Lastly even if such a connector could be found you'll not be able to convert a signal from a satellite dish into something which a tv can decode via its RF input I'm afraid.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Last edited by RSK; 28-01-14 at 11:03.

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Amazon.co.uk: f to coax adapter

Probably won't work, though - I don't think a satellite dish will make a very effective UHF antenna!

How strong is the terrestrial signal where she lives? A set-top antenna may be the cheapest solution if there's a good signal.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
As above F to co-ax adaptors do exist, however just putting one of those onto the cable and plugging it into the TV still won't get you a Freeview picture. Your options for HD are

1 Buy a Freeview HD box. If you get a recorder you'll ideally want a second feed for the dish.
2 Fit a terrestrial aerial. In terms of ease of use this is easiest.

I hope this helps.

Oh, and SCART doesn't even carry 720 line definition, just bog standard 576 standard definition. Of course the other question is does your mother really want HD? If she's perfectly happy with SD then why not leave it at that. Easiest and cheapest solution.

Last edited by 1900sr; 27-01-14 at 18:23.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Surely the TV has built in Freeview HD tuner so the cheapest option has to be an internal digital aerial.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Get Sky
AO Member

Unless you can see the transmitter then an indoor aerial is probably not going to be that reliable.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Get Sky if you want to get ripped off
Fixed that for you
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Easiest option is to get an antenna put on the roof.

Cheapest option is to try an internal antenna.
(Check it on a bad weather day and take it back if you can't get a good signal.)

Expensive but simplest solution: Take the new TV back and get one of these instead:

Freesat HD TVs - widescreen, HD ready, 3D ready televisions with integrated Freesat
(Post Link) post #11 of 26 Old 28-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Why not get a Freesat HD box with HDMI to replace the existing SCART one?
That's probably the favourite option.. since it doesn't need an aerial. I was just curious if there was an option I didn't know aboot..

Unfortunately I remembered my mum's Freesat box was a Freeview box... Should visit her more often I suppose..

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 28-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Ref option 2 do you mean Free sat HD box ?
Aye!

I get confused when I'm writing it.. I had no chance when buying it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Assuming yes I'd go option 2 to save too much bother. A freesat hd box can be picked up from 50 upwards and for not more than 100 you're looking boxes with recorders. It's going to cost you more than that to buy and install a decent high gain aerial suitable for Freeview HD.

I hear your concern ref the single set of buttons but being linked by hdmi the freesat box will automatically switch the tv to the right input and its more likely than not its buttons will control the volume and power on/off too unless it is a real cheapy.
Yes. Agreed.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Unfortunately I remembered my mum's Freesat box was a Freeview box... Should visit her more often I suppose..

Ralf S
If it's a Freeview box it must have been getting a UHF signal from somewhere, so whatever's connected to the input to that will work if connected to the new TV. Seems odd that it's an F type connector - try changing it to a push-in coax & see if it works.

(You don't need to use an adaptor, just get a coax connector & swap it for the one on the cable)
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

AO Member

A SCART to HDMI converter is useful if you don't have a SCART socket available, but it won't give you HD. It might have an upscaler built in which will artificially convert a 576 line signal to either 720 or 1080, but the TV will do this anyway.

Also, as the recommended converter in that advert is 50, you might as well buy the Manhattan Plaza S2 Freesat HD box for the same money http://www.johnlewis.com/manhattan-p...=c&tmcampid=73 and have true HD.
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 29-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
If it's a Freeview box it must have been getting a UHF signal from somewhere, so whatever's connected to the input to that will work if connected to the new TV. Seems odd that it's an F type connector - try changing it to a push-in coax & see if it works.

(You don't need to use an adaptor, just get a coax connector & swap it for the one on the cable)
She has a FreeSAT box... getting its signal from a dish with an F-type connector on the end.

To be honest, I thought dish or aerial didn't matter.. and that it was just a case of getting the right connector on the end of teh cable... but dish seems to only lead to F-type and aerial seems to only lead to push-in coax's... and the two don't seem to be interchangeable.

If it was technically possible, I'd stick a push-in plug on the end of the (sat) cable, instead of the F-type connector that's there now..

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
You can just swap the connector on the co-ax cable.

But you still need a TV antenna on the other end, not a parabolic dish.
(Post Link) post #18 of 26 Old 29-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900sr View Post

Also, as the recommended converter in that advert is 50, you might as well buy the Manhattan Plaza S2 Freesat HD box for the same money Buy Manhattan Plaza HD-S2 Smart freesat HD Digital Receiver online at John Lewis and have true HD.
Good link.. ta.

I'll probably go this route. She has a non-HD Manhattan box at the moment and she knows how to work that. The remote control looks identical.

I suppose it means that I didn't strictly need to buy a TV with a FreeviewHD tuner built in... but not sure that's a total disaster.

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Today's dumb question

If your mum has a freeview box that connects to the old TV, how did the signal get to the freeview box?

Maybe its a simple case of taking the ariel out of the freeview box and connecting it direct to the TV
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Today's dumb question

If your mum has a freeview box that connects to the old TV, how did the signal get to the freeview box?

Maybe its a simple case of taking the ariel out of the freeview box and connecting it direct to the TV
No....she has a freesat box...not freeview.

However,and i may be wrong...surely the freesat was only giving her SD quality through the scart lead in the first place....i know you've bought her a nice HD receiving TV but would she really notice the difference in quality ?

I know my mum wouldn't notice if she was watching through thick fog !!!

Sometimes i try to help her with technology and she doesn't really give a toss
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:

Make your mind up!

Quote:
To be honest, I thought dish or aerial didn't matter..

Different animals! The signal received by a dish is in the microwave frequency range & the LNBs (low noise blocks) in the dish process the signal before it is fed into the cable connecting the dish to the receiver. Satellite systems need an LNB for every connected device.

Antennae receive (in the UK) UHF signals which are fed straight into the receiver - any number of devices (within reason) can be daisy-chained to use the signal from one antenna.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:
She has a FreeSAT box... getting its signal from a dish with an F-type connector on the end.

Make your mind up!

Edit: maybe you meant that you misremembered?

Quote:
To be honest, I thought dish or aerial didn't matter..

Different animals! The signal received by a dish is in the microwave frequency range & the LNBs (low noise blocks) in the dish process the signal before it is fed into the cable connecting the dish to the receiver. Satellite systems need an LNB for every connected device.

Antennae receive (in the UK) UHF signals which are fed straight into the receiver - any number of devices (within reason) can be daisy-chained to use the signal from one antenna.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

^^ We're all confused now ....and doubly so !! ^^
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 30-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yes.

No.

I don't know...

She has a FreeSAT box with an F-type connector in the back, cabled to a dish.

I thought/remembered that she had a FreeVIEW box. I didn't know then that "dish must equal SAT". I thought it was just a case of getting the correct co-ax on the end of the cable... so I ended up buying a telly with an HD-Freeview (needs an aerial) tuner built in.

Freesat TV's are a bit more unusual though.. and HD Freesat tuner'd TVs are a fair bit dearer (they come with a heap of SMART tech' that my mum just doesn't need).

She isn't complaining about her existing (LD) FreeSat box, connected to HD telly via SCART... but if I can make the TV show in HD then she would probably appreciate the difference.

It looks like the only way to access the HD in the telly is via an external HD Freesat box or via an aerial.

I might eventually stick an aerial into her loft (she doesn't like them up on the chimbley) but that's more because of my OCD... It seems daft to have an HD box supplying a TV that has more-or-less the same capabilities already built in.... but in the meantime, an HD FreeSat box will do...

Cheers for the help... at least I learnt the ins and outs of SAT vs VIEW..

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I don't think that's the end of the saga. You have never said why she opted for SAT in the first place. It really only had take up where terrestrial TV (aerial) didn't work and you didn't want to pay for Sky.
So an aerial may be a waste of time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
doodahs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page