What tablet to replace ipad 2 with? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Durty dog

What tablet to replace ipad 2 with?

Hi guys, i am moving company's and they will want there ipad 2 back shortly. Any recommendations what to replace it with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
At the risk of giving the boringly predictable answer, the iPad Air.

My wife has an iPad 2 (that, at one point, was "ours"..... :roll eyes: ) and I have an Air and it really is several generations better. Way better screen, way better processor (I have got mine for work where it needs to be capable of handling CAD material), lighter, slimmer, launches apps (on a side-by-side test) 2-3 times faster....

Or then again, the iPad mini retina - smaller but with the same excellent screen, same processor (if running slightly slower), but otherwise the same.....(I believe).

Tirreni

Alfa History: 145 1.7, GTV2.0, GTV 3.0 V6, Brera 2.4 JTDm
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Not an iPad
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Something from Asus?

What do you use it for mostly?
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
iPad air. I went from a 2 to a 4 but would get an air. Lighter, more grunt. The 4 has some clout though, perfect for editing full HD go pro footage
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
+1 for iPad Air - had mine 3 months now and it's far better than Shusky's iPad 4
daveb257

Whatever you get it must have a retina display, the difference is amazing, even to the point where I may have to swap my MacBook Air in as I've been playing with one with a Retina display and it's stunning

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Something from Asus?

What do you use it for mostly?
It will be for personal use so only browsing, some you tube, emails and i have an ipod classic and touch so my music can go on the the touch.

Durty dog

I do like apple but i do find them restrictive in there 3rd party software, not sure if that makes sense.

AO Platinum Member

Stuck with what you know.

Unless there's a specific item of software you're after.

I ditched my Android Transformer for a full-fat
Windows 8 Transformer because
I wanted access to all the TV catchup
sites. Also means I can use Nikon software
and other bits and pieces.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
It will be for personal use so only browsing, some you tube, emails and i have an ipod classic and touch so my music can go on the the touch.
Honestly you could do all of that on an iPad1 and you wouldn't notice the difference.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

RX-8

ipad air the best
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Honestly you could do all of that on an iPad1 and you wouldn't notice the difference.
Unless you have eyes and can tell when something's half the weight.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Weight isn't the issue that Apple would like you to believe it is. If you're able to read a reasonable-sized novel, you've got the ability to use any tablet for extended periods. The weight difference between the last iPad and the Air looks big on paper, but in the hand it's not significant. Once the weight is evenly balanced, there's no problem.

iPad 1 and 3 are occasionally sluggish in use, which is much more significant than weight or extra pixels. The Retina display has 4 times as many pixels as the iPad2, but the hardware didn't get 4 times the real performance until last model before the Air.

I bought a tablet before Christmas, and it wasn't an iPad. I've no lock-in with Apple stuff (I've two macs, but no iDevices), so I was evaluating my options just on what they can do out of the box, on their own, and I had a decent budget set aside for it. I bought a Surface 2, yes the WindowsRT one. It's perfect for mail and browsing, and video playback too as the screen is the correct ratio (Netflix). The big plus for me was the web-browsing experience which is far better than any other tablet (Flash support is included).

Downsides are that there aren't many good apps (a couple of hundred, compared to iPad's thousands), it's slightly heavy compared to the iPad, it's not the cheapest option, and apparently stock is hard to get hold of.

I found that Android tablets just aren't as good. The specs might be higher or the prices lower, but the software doesn't flow together like iOS does, or Windows8 does on tablets, for that matter. Build quality is also poor on most Android devices: even the more expensive ones that are well made manage to look cheap.

The Surface was €439 for the 32Gb model, which is a little less than a 16Gb iPad Air. If I'd had less to spend, I'd have got an Android tablet. If I had a bit more, I'd have still got the Surface2, and spent the money on something else
Durty dog

Some good opinions there, i am of to pc world now just to have a play and see what im comfortable with.

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Hmmm. An iPad air is less than 200 grams lighter than a 1. That is slightly less weight than the case most people put the things in to protect them. As to resolution, YouTube cannot even begin to deliver the resolution of a 1st generation iPad - all you end up doing is watching HD compression artefacts, rather than SD. Now, if he had been saying the target use was watching true HD video and (say) handwriting recognition, it will all be different.

It is a bit like people spending a fortune on the latest i7 with oodles of memory to do a bit of surfing - completely unnecessary. If you are running a stack of VMs and/or doing big image manipulation, you'll be able to use the power in front of you.

Of course the manufacturers love the idea that life is impossible without the latest toy. The most frustrating thing about iPads is the bone headed copy/paste identification algorithm, and that is an OS feature so common to all models.
Durty dog

I picked up a samsumg galaxy tab 3, not a bad tablet. Dual core processor and they chucked in a 64gb card.

AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Weight isn't the issue that Apple would like you to believe it is. If you're able to read a reasonable-sized novel, you've got the ability to use any tablet for extended periods. The weight difference between the last iPad and the Air looks big on paper, but in the hand it's not significant. Once the weight is evenly balanced, there's no problem.

iPad 1 and 3 are occasionally sluggish in use, which is much more significant than weight or extra pixels. The Retina display has 4 times as many pixels as the iPad2, but the hardware didn't get 4 times the real performance until last model before the Air.
I wouldn't have posted based on what Apple would like me to believe

I used an ipad 1 for some time and now have the model before the Air, and the difference is huge, in weight (which imo makes it more pleasant to use) and processor speed and screen definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I picked up a samsumg galaxy tab 3, not a bad tablet. Dual core processor and they chucked in a 64gb card.
Hope you're happy with it

A friend got one for Christmas and was not happy with the apparently obligatory (?) google tie-in.
Far worse than Apple controlfreakism in her opinion. (I wait to be corrected)
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
A friend got one for Christmas and was not happy with the apparently obligatory (?) google tie-in.
Going to Google Play isn't obligatory. Samsung have there own app store, so do Amazon and a whole load of smaller app stores.

With Apple kit all you have is Apple.
Durty dog

Quote:

I used an ipad 1 for some time and now have the model before the Air, and the difference is huge, in weight (which imo makes it more pleasant to use) and processor speed and screen definition.

it does ask if you have a google account but it still lets you go to google play without one. Really getting to grips with it and its a quick machine and the keyboard is sublime. It also has smart eye which prevents the screen shutting of if it can see your eyes.

Durty dog

Quote:

it does ask if you have a google account but it still lets you go to google play without one. Really getting to grips with it and its a quick machine and the keyboard is sublime. It also has smart eye which prevents the screen shutting of if it can see your eyes.

Durty dog

Actually I was wrong I do apoligise, you cant download apps until signed into a google account and then you cant sign out, how stupid is that!

AO Platinum Member

You can remove the Google account.
Or just turn off all the syncing.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
You can remove the Google account.
Or just turn off all the syncing.
Ive kept the google account but turned of syncing and added a password screen lock.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
It brings a whole new understanding to know you're being watched...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ipad , replace , tablet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page