Is it worth having a Blu Ray collection? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Durty dog

Is it worth having a Blu Ray collection?

Guys, i have quite a few blu rays in my collection and was wondering if anyone else has a collection or do you just download or stream nowadays?

I do like having a collection of blu rays as it looks good in my bookcase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

Well I've got a BR collection. It's a tangible thing, which you own.

And frankly, if you download stuff, is it actually full quality, with the 5.1 sound and everything?

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I would say yes, it is good to have them as a material posession.

I would still rather buy CD's than download MP3's.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Threw away (gave to charity) 3 video tapes today - the final remains of a fair few. Currently cannot even be arsed to connect up a DVD player. I've never bought a Blu Ray, don't think I ever will.
Durty dog

I was thinking along the material possession lines to.

Symon i havent brought a cd for years, i use itunes for my music.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I have mostly purchased music and films but we use LoveFilm for on-line streaming. Probably wouldn't buy electronic versions unless they were much cheaper - purchased media is usually when it's been reduced and that happens less in the e-realm it seems. I reckon I've generally paid less and those I've bought through Amazon have been kindly transferred to e-format for me (though I still intend having all of the albums stored on the home server, the CD acts as the only other backup so I can store that elsewhere in years to come.)
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Not specifically Blu-Ray related but did you know if you own a CD it can be inherited when you die. If you buy an MP3 you buy the right to use it during your lifetime ie it cannot be passed on (legally speaking).
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I have mostly purchased music and films but we use LoveFilm for on-line streaming. Probably wouldn't buy electronic versions unless they were much cheaper - purchased media is usually when it's been reduced and that happens less in the e-realm it seems. I reckon I've generally paid less and those I've bought through Amazon have been kindly transferred to e-format for me (though I still intend having all of the albums stored on the home server, the CD acts as the only other backup so I can store that elsewhere in years to come.)
Tip. Backup your home server to Google play music. You can store up to 20,000 tracks for free
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

They are too expensive, a blueray film will be about £15, I can just stream it online for free.

Im not too bothered about the full sound or blacks being fully black rather than slightly grey, i watch a film for the film not the colours?

If its a film i really want to see i will pay to go to the cinema, if its one i was never too fussed about i will stream online for free
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
They are too expensive, a blueray film will be about £15, I can just stream it online for free.

Im not too bothered about the full sound or blacks being fully black rather than slightly grey, i watch a film for the film not the colours?

If its a film i really want to see i will pay to go to the cinema, if its one i was never too fussed about i will stream online for free
Pretty much summed up the fears of the film industry and also why the home AV enthusiasts market is struggling so much all in one post there.

Just my opinion but legal issues aside I don't understand why people are prepared to accept the huge drop in quality which usually comes with free streaming just as I don't get why you'd buy a compressed mp3 file if you really love music.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
4K streaming will do-in for BDs.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Pretty much summed up the fears of the film industry and also why the home AV enthusiasts market is struggling so much all in one post there.

Just my opinion but legal issues aside I don't understand why people are prepared to accept the huge drop in quality which usually comes with free streaming just as I don't get why you'd buy a compressed mp3 file if you really love music.

sometimes the quality is quite bad, but if its that bad i wont watch it and find another stream. More often than not ive managed to find DVD quality streams so i can watch it no problems. I always avoid the ones which you can tell it was recorded in the cinema because they really are bad quality.
RSK

Quote:
sometimes the quality is quite bad, but if its that bad i wont watch it and find another stream. More often than not ive managed to find DVD quality streams so i can watch it no problems. I always avoid the ones which you can tell it was recorded in the cinema because they really are bad quality.
Isn't annoying when people can't make a proper job of copyright infringement for you

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippecanoe View Post
4K streaming will do-in for BDs.

Netflix have already started the push Netflix 4K streaming to launch on next-gen 4K TVs at CES | whathifi.com
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
And to receive it you need a consistent 15Mbps. Way beyond what I can get.

Garage
As for a Blu-ray collection, I've got a good few especially for films that I'll watch again & again (I might even own some of them on DVD already)
The bonus of owning them on disc (especially triple-play/special editions) is that you'll get all the extras, sometimes multiple cuts/branching as well as multiple soundtracks etc.

If it's not a film I want to see in a hurry or one I'm not bothered about seeing the extras etc I'll rent (on disc not digital download) it or watch in on Sky eventually.

Last edited by David P; 28-12-13 at 14:30.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Same here, not to mention the fact the whole 4K TV thing will be a bit of a chicken & egg thing for a fair while yet I'd say.
I've no intention of upgrading my HD TV anytime soon.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Isn't annoying when people can't make a proper job of copyright infringement for you

I no right
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Stuck with BD and an upscaler in the UK for the foreseeable future then...
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:

If you don't want to pay, don't watch it... I have little time for thieves, especially if they go on the hunt for the best way to steal something And before it's mentioned, I'm not saying I agree with costs of watching/listening to something at times... but then I think it's a reflection of modern society - if I can't afford something I don't steal it or buy it on credit (except for the house because that's an "essential"), I save up for it. If I don't want to pay then I don't want it enough. If a TV channel (ad-supported or otherwise) wants to display it for "free", legally, then I might watch it (think this should be in the rant room lol )
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Its not "stealing" tho is it.

Im not taking it from someone so they no longer have it, they still have it to do with whatever they please.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:

Im not taking it from someone so they no longer have it, they still have it to do with whatever they please.
Except that the artists and technicians that are paid on each sale get nothing so you have deprived them off their salary. You are technically correct in this country. It is not classified as stealing. It is copyright infringement. But still. Many ordinary hard working people don't get paid.
RSK

Quote:
I no right
Correct - no right at all

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:

I don't know how you can justify being a thieving scummer

The backlash has started, it will become socially unacceptable to download/stream copyrighted material and that will be the prime factor in killing it off with a secondary factor being dirt cheap legal services, if nobody is consuming pirated materials then nobody will produce them.
Durty dog

I use netflix as its HD and 5.1 which is run through a 3D blu ray player, my blu ray collection is for specific movies like all the marvel or classic sci fi, i got a brand new 3D version of Thor for a tenner yesterday. I have virgin media broadband and they are now filtering out the copyright infringing sites.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
blu , collection , ray , worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page