Need Gadget Geek Opinions On This Streaming TV Box Please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

SCGT

Hmmm Need Gadget Geek Opinions On This Streaming TV Box Please

Spotted this little gadget on eBay ....looks very promising especially if you watch the video link in the listing ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1909452473...torefresh=true

Looks fairly easy to navigate and guy has sold over 600 with some good feedback

Do have a good internet connection and would most likely connect directly to router

Must be a catch somewhere looks to good to be true !

Cheers Stuart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Depends on what you want I suppose, it look like a custom build of xbmc with some add-ons preinstalled on a cheap chinese android htpc.

Personally I'd be happy with xbmc but wouldn't want to rely on a 3rd party who only offers a mobile phone number for support. You could build one of these yourself, learn how it works and then know what to do if it all goes a bit **** up.

XBMC

I've been thinking of building a HTPC with one of these as the backend server and ripping all my dvds to it.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/pr...#!tab=features

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Last edited by GhostyDog; 21-12-13 at 20:11.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
What do you actually want to do/watch?

PC will give you more flexibility and something like Chromecast is cheaper and probably easier
to set-up but limited by what is available to view.
SCGT

Sadly my tv is not smart and does not have any connectivity ...just fed up having to pay 40 a month for SKY movies and sport ....seems to good to be true this little box !

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Even a PS3/PS4 with PlayTV would pay for itself within a year for PVR capability... and there are likely cheaper options out there!
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

can you not just plug your laptop into your TV and stream through that?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
can you not just plug your laptop into your TV and stream through that?
May depend on how far his lack of connectivity goes... To keep things simple you're looking at VGA or HDMI input requirement (yes, there are other options...)

I remember the days the Spectrum (or Amiga if you wanted) would tune in to an old analogue TV!
SCGT

VGA is the only option I have ...my wife is the main telly watcher , dont think she would have the technical prowess to get laptop up and running with programs etc ....gonna give the box a try as it comes with 14 day money back guarantee ...

AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

VGA cable in, monitor/desktop stretched or shared, media played back in player of choice/iPlayer/internet etc.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
VGA is the only option I have ...my wife is the main telly watcher , dont think she would have the technical prowess to get laptop up and running with programs etc ....gonna give the box a try as it comes with 14 day money back guarantee ...
Let us know how it goes
Durty dog

I will be keeping an eye on this one to.

RSK

These Android boxes/sticks are great but take a bit if getting used to.

The star of the show is XBMC which is a brilliant and massively configurable media centre front end. I suggest you Google XBMC and perhaps visit the xbmchub website to get a feel for it before the box arrives.

Also you will need an HDMI input on your tv to use this as it won't connect via VGA.

Lastly the streams you access for Sky, BT etc whilst watchable won't be of the same quality as they are via your existing Sky box.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Durty dog

Would a new console cover most of these gadgets?

RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
Would a new console cover most of these gadgets?
Some but not all.

The next gen consoles have / will gain some of the online streaming facilities but none will have all. Additionally they will still need subscriptions for things like Netflix and in the case of the XBox Sky.

Both the consoles will play various video formats but this will require the user to be comfortable with ripping their own DVDs/BRs using their PC. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it but will require investment in the appropriate software.

The beauty of the XBMC based systems is that as well as being media players for user ripped audio and video continue you can also configure them with all the approved UK catch up services plus with the right tweaks they give access to more informal streams assuming your conscience can live with that.

Durty dog

Also the 500 price tag of an xbox is an issue in itself.

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The best value option to just get Catch up TV is the Now TV box at 9.99. Just don't sign up for the paid for bits.
2 caveats. HDMI only. No ITV Player (yet).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

And if you get an "old" PS3 you can get media capabilities without stretching to 500... Apps/links for 4OD, Demand5, iPlayer, ITV Player, Netflix, LoveFilm, NowTV... 12Gb starts at 99 but I'd advise getting a larger hard drive and source a 2nd-hand PlayTV if you want to record Freeview (though it's limited to SD because the Beeb changed the file format).

plus the option of some cheap/free games (as well as full priced) to keep any kids (or big kids!) happy.
Durty dog

I needed a new blu ray player so i got a samsung 3D with built in wi fi, this now gives me loads of apps including netflix, love film and all the on demand channels.

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
The best value option to just get Catch up TV is the Now TV box at 9.99. Just don't sign up for the paid for bits.
2 caveats. HDMI only. No ITV Player (yet).
Good value but i have this on my xbox and there is a monthly subscription to sky for 8.99.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
Good value but i have this on my xbox and there is a monthly subscription to sky for 8.99.
You dont have to sign up for any subscription in which case it just does BBC iplayer, 4od and 5ondemand.

Obviously no point if you already have Sky+ or PS3 or Xbox but to turn a non smart tvinti sonething that will do catch up it is the cheapest option by far. A raspberry pi with xbmc is goint to cost 50 minimum.
Durty dog

Quote:
You dont have to sign up for any subscription in which case it just does BBC iplayer, 4od and 5ondemand.

Obviously no point if you already have Sky+ or PS3 or Xbox but to turn a non smart tvinti sonething that will do catch up it is the cheapest option by far. A raspberry pi with xbmc is goint to cost 50 minimum.
I am going to cancel my now tv subscription, tbh netflix is the better deal.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:

I've been following xbmc development with interest, the arctic cooling renderer has been discontinued so I'm not going to get any more of those.

XBMC on the other hand has added controlpoint functionality to the mediacentre in the 'Gotham' development stream, this means it can see and control another xbmc rPi device that is setup as a uPNP renderer.

Could probably knock together a Model B in a box for 40 a piece (wired). I'm waiting for a stable build to become available and real world performance to be ascertained, but a few of these with a HP MicroServer as a NAS could be pretty ideal.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I've been following xbmc development with interest, the arctic cooling renderer has been discontinued so I'm not going to get any more of those.

XBMC on the other hand has added controlpoint functionality to the mediacentre in the 'Gotham' development stream, this means it can see and control another xbmc rPi device that is setup as a uPNP renderer.

Could probably knock together a Model B in a box for 40 a piece (wired). I'm waiting for a stable build to become available and real world performance to be ascertained, but a few of these with a HP MicroServer as a NAS could be pretty ideal.
I have a Raspberry Pi running RaspXBMC attached to my bedroom TV. Its okay but not entirely satisfactory. The NowTV box is more stable but it does not include any kind of uPNP/DLNA player.
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post

I have something similar - custom build running WHS2011 with 8GB of RAM , 16TB of drive space, a BD drive and a couple of paid for addins:

MyMovies - rips all our dvd and bd discs to iso format and also then automatically encodes them to mp4, additionally it rips cds to both lossless and mp3 formats simultaneously

iHomeserver - runs a server instance of iTunes and automatically updates the library by scanning the mp4 output folder of MyMovies.

So from the one box we get lossless audio served to six Sonos units around the house, full dvd/BR rips with menus and all features to 4 XBMC Android sticks and a Mac Mini, a central iTunes library which shares to 2 x Apple TVs and a household's worth of iDevices plus upnp/dlna links to various smart tvs and the Xbox and PS3.

In short if you are serious about home media sharing a Homeserver is so much more flexible, and scalable, than a standard NAS.

RSK

And interestingly enough Ghosty the HP Microserver is deal of the day at EBuyer today. 179.95 plus 50 cashback.

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-hp-prol...yer-704941-421

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
box , gadget , geek , opinions , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page