Windows Phone OS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Windows Phone OS

Hi,

Looking at potentially swapping over to this as a business phone on the Nokia lumia range. Anybody using the recent new devices with the latest OS?

Is it stable? Do you use it for business? How good is the office suite on it?

Cheers

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

Hi GD, Mrs C & I have both been running Lumia 620s since February. They're our first smartphones and we both like them, we tried various Android devices in the stores and just couldn't get on with them.
I've dabbled with the Office application and it seems basic but OK for my needs.
They are pretty stable with only a couple of freezes, removing the battery sorts it easily.
I do like the OS, particularly with the Amber update, and the live tiles are a nice touch. There aren't as many apps as Android / iOS but all of the basics are covered.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I've been using a Lumia 920 since earlier this year. Also on the Amber update and wouldn't change it for any other non-Windows phone - I don't need the 41mega pixel on the 1020, though the 925 would be decent if I didn't use the wireless charging. I've only had 1 small issue when it didn't seem to want to turn on, but holding the power button for about 10 seconds fixed that. The integration with SkyDrive is nice, plus despite there being less apps, I can still get ones for my Synology, some of the banks have apps (though I'd never do that through the phone) and where my wife's (and others) have frozen on having long message threads, mine has never tripped up.

It's one of the most stable phones I've had, and certainly in work we don't get many stability issues when people call in with problems. The Amber update added a few nice extras like Data Sense and blocking of SMS/Calls from selected numbers. There's also a Kid's corner so you can let the kids have access to selected options/apps if you so desire, without the risk.

The biggest issue for some people will be the screen size (e.g. if not editing documents too much then a 520 would do the trick, the 620 is basically the same innards but a larger screen. There's also the 1520 phablet 6" big enough?! though it's not cheap unless you're on a large contract. Haven't used Lync on mine yet either.

Taking off my Lumia hat, most smartphones today can do 90-95% of the things most people need them for, and as I get calls from owners of all types, have a try in-store first
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Just thought I'd throw this into the ring - I switched to a Blackberry Q10 (the latest one with the physical key pad) recently and am very pleased with it. Handles office docs well, which is one of my main concerns, and seems very stable. PLUS its got a proper key pad for writing lengthy emails fast.

The OS is very different from previous Blackberry offerings, but I quickly adapted to it.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks all, I had a bit of a play with some yesterday in a phone shop, they do what they say on the tin, it's what we need, phones appropriate to the role people do and dont cost a fortune to replace/repair
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Just thought I'd throw this into the ring - I switched to a Blackberry Q10 (the latest one with the physical key pad) recently and am very pleased with it. Handles office docs well, which is one of my main concerns, and seems very stable. PLUS its got a proper key pad for writing lengthy emails fast.

The OS is very different from previous Blackberry offerings, but I quickly adapted to it.
Although I'm not a fan, I do miss my slide out keyboard on my last HTC.
RSK

If you are heavily invested in an MS infrastructure then they really come into their own.

The out of the box Office compatibility and exchange/outlook sync are the best around and if you run Dynamics or SharePoint there are further integration benefits to be had which you can't get as fluidly on other OSs.

We have just replaced all of our BBs with WPs and gave people a choice of various Samsung, HTC and Nokia devices. The Nokias seems to be the best received and with the MS acquisition I guess they will become the flagship for the OS. At a corporate level tney are also significantly cheaper to buy than iDevices and easier to manage and integrate than Android.

I'm naughty though and still use an iPhone

(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
If you are heavily invested in an MS infrastructure then they really come into their own.

The out of the box Office compatibility and exchange/outlook sync are the best around and if you run Dynamics or SharePoint there are further integration benefits to be had which you can't get as fluidly on other OSs.

We have just replaced all of our BBs with WPs and gave people a choice of various Samsung, HTC and Nokia devices. The Nokias seems to be the best received and with the MS acquisition I guess they will become the flagship for the OS. At a corporate level tney are also significantly cheaper to buy than iDevices and easier to manage and integrate than Android.

I'm naughty though and still use an iPhone
That pretty much sums up my thinking, WP is the new BlackBerry (without all the ******** backend infrastructure to contend with)
AO Member

County: New South Wales
i had a 920 earlier this year, wanted to be different. didnt want to follow Andoid or Iphone. Bigges mistake ever, had so many issues i threw it and it went straight through my bedroom door like a bullet, smashed screen.

Always had 3G/4G data issues,annoying software, buttons at wrong positions (Like whilst talking you have to hold near poweroff button) fck me dead and i am right handed, weird software to get used to etc.

I got an LG L9 P768 and i am the happiest since, only $260 outright unlocked from ebay. only needed a Gmail account.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

All phones have issues from time to time - I had an LG and hated it (though camera was ok), despite really wanting to buy it but there are other phones with similarly located power buttons, I see many phones of all types with data issues but thus far I've had far fewer (even accounting for numbers of sales) on Windows phones (my 920 is faster and more reliable than my wife's android phone though I suspect fingers can also be pointed at the network and our expectations sometimes.

What software did you find annoying? I'm sure there are things on all the platforms that are annoying but none I have installed on my phone. As someone not always wanting to change habits, anything new can feel weird and strange. That's life. Some people actually find it an improvement. At the end of the day each OS will suit different people. What you really meant to say was:
Biggest mistake I ever made was trying to be different without doing my homework... Actually, this is in the wrong room... I sense a tech rant...
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

using Nokia Lumia 920 since April last year. Have my Outlook email connected and have no issues getting my emails while traveling around the world (condition of coverage or WiFi of course). Open word, excel, pdf files with no issues, open most of zipped files.
Use here maps and here drive in any country without paying anything for data connection - maps are free and whole country stored in your phone. I drove through New Zealand, Denmark, Uruguay and others using GPS positioning only on pre-downloaded maps (over WiFi in UK while preparing for the trip) and was always getting to the place I needed.
Camera is great, mix-radio is pretty good, and all the news and weather I can get. Three email accounts connected: two hotmail and one that I have on the office server.

I am not a person who is 'more apps is better without considering how many you actually use'. I like the layout of the tiles and menus in WP, they are pretty straightforward and you still can actually tell you phone what to do and what not to do (something that I liked in Symbian).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
phone , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page