Cheap Laptop with Microsoft Office - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 19-11-13 Thread Starter

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Cheap Laptop with Microsoft Office

Hello

My son needs the above...we run open office on our Linux Mint PC...i'm fine with it...but you know what kids are like....he demands MS Office

Right i've seen this...i know it's an old laptop..what's your thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-NC6120-...item3a86adee55

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
seems like alot of money for that spec, but suppose it depends where your looking, im only going by what i see offered on facebook.

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Functioning laptops (and broken ones) sell for silly money on ebay.

Maybe PM our very own Laptop Matt. I think this is his area.

I was offered three advent laptops for nowt the other day on facebook. However, they all had issues and needed turning into one good one. I decided I have enough junk and projects.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I'd agree with @beau_147, seems a bit steep for the spec.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 20-11-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
I'd agree with @beau_147, seems a bit steep for the spec.
Though it has Microsoft Office 2010 installed....hard to find laptops with that already installed for that price...or am i wrong ?

Would this be a better option ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-8-...item3cd39ad9e4

I'm useless at PCs....i'm using a Dell Optiplex 210L to type this and it does me perfectly fine
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
i wouldn't worry about the spec of your PC. The laptop I'm on is about 11 years old and has a 1.7 Ghz processor. seen better days.

If it's definitely got to be Office 2010 then something like that would be cheaper.

Why not search your local area on Gumtree, might get a more reasonable price and the option to inspect/test it before you buy. Keithyboy is right, they tend to go a bit over the odds on ebay
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
that ebay one only has 1Gb of ram so it'll struggle with windows 7, it'll be very slow

can you get one without ms office and then - ahem - 'magic' it off the internet?
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 21-11-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
that ebay one only has 1Gb of ram so it'll struggle with windows 7, it'll be very slow

can you get one without ms office and then - ahem - 'magic' it off the internet?
....mmmm......i was beginning to think about that
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Hi Ronan,

Yes 1GB is not enough for Windows 7 as it is a pretty powerful operating systemband uses 1GB just to start up leaving no memory left to open any other apps.
We wouldn't put Vista/Win 7 on a laptop with less than 2GB.

No laptops come with MS Office, even new £2000 ones. You might get a dodgy copy on a used laptop as you have found on ebay but there is no guarentee on how long it will last. The windows 7 will almost certainly expire too as this is £90 to buy so almost certainly illegal. The nc6120 came with windows XP Professional and runs it well.

We install Open Office or Libre Office on our laptops which works with MS Office and is free + legal.

I have some nice Toshiba Tecra (Business) Intel Dual Core laptops with 2GB, 160GB, Wifi, Bluetooth, New Battery, New Genuine Chargers, WinXP Pro, Open office, 6 Month warranty for £169

These have been stripped down fans cleaned out and rebuilt by us (no one else bothers doing this especially on ebay selling for that price)

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 22-11-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Hi Ronan,

Yes 1GB is not enough for Windows 7 as it is a pretty powerful operating systemband uses 1GB just to start up leaving no memory left to open any other apps.
We wouldn't put Vista/Win 7 on a laptop with less than 2GB.

No laptops come with MS Office, even new £2000 ones. You might get a dodgy copy on a used laptop as you have found on ebay but there is no guarentee on how long it will last. The windows 7 will almost certainly expire too as this is £90 to buy so almost certainly illegal. The nc6120 came with windows XP Professional and runs it well.

We install Open Office or Libre Office on our laptops which works with MS Office and is free + legal.

I have some nice Toshiba Tecra (Business) Intel Dual Core laptops with 2GB, 160GB, Wifi, Bluetooth, New Battery, New Genuine Chargers, WinXP Pro, Open office, 6 Month warranty for £169

These have been stripped down fans cleaned out and rebuilt by us (no one else bothers doing this especially on ebay selling for that price)
Thanks Matt

Par for the course my son has decided he's not interested anymore....you can't have enough kids ....but if he does wake up...i'll keep you in mind.

Thanks to all for your input

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
.......................... You might get a dodgy copy on a used laptop as you have found on ebay but there is no guarentee on how long it will last. The windows 7 will almost certainly expire too as this is £90 to buy so almost certainly illegal. ............................

Ten minutes after reading this thread I came across this local news item so beware. Microsoft is obviously fighting back or at least pushing the law to do something.
Six people arrested in Barton-Upon-Humber as part of operation by City of London Police's Police Intellectual Property Crime unit in connection with counterfeit Microsoft products sold online | Scunthorpe Telegraph
Counterfeit items worth more than £100,000 according to a microsoft spokesman
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Microsoft have a home-use offer for full-fat Office for around $10
if the company you work for is part of the plan.

Microsoft Home Use Program - Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013. The software suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access and more!
Spacecadet

Anyone in education can buy an office 2010 license for the full suite for £37.50ish depending on exchange rate.

A google for education licensing gets you there.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
There is also Office 2010 Starter edition that gives you Word & Excel with adverts. That was pre-installed on a lot of laptops from that era with an option to enter a full licence key if you bought one.

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
There is also Office 2010 Starter edition that gives you Word & Excel with adverts. That was pre-installed on a lot of laptops from that era with an option to enter a full licence key if you bought one.
I got that with my Lenovo netbook in January 2012. It had the option to make a portable version, which gives the facility to use it on any computer.
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 27-11-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Thanks for all your replies....i'd heard something in work about Tippecanoes suggestion...might look into it if my son decides he needs it again !!

Cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > The Technology Section

Tags
cheap , laptop , microsoft , office

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page