Getting contacts off an old, buggered phone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

VO2Max

Getting contacts off an old, buggered phone

Well, I did the silly thing, didn't I?

Used my mobile in an emergency in the rain and it died . Annoyingly, it happened really quickly and the moisture indicators inside show nothing! It's an HTC Desire, BTW.

The second silly thing I did was to not back up my contacts, about 300 of them. Doh! The phone will charge up and you can answer a call from another phone on it. But the display is dead. If I connect the phone up to my PC (I loaded up the HTC software), when I open up the software it says 'no device connected'. I suspect it may be something as simple as needing to swipe or press the relevant point on the display - but of course, the display is buggered.

I took it to the Virgin shop and their little black box couldn't get access to them either - probably for the same reason according the assistant.

I have a new phone and am gradually replacing the contacts as and when I see people. But there are many others which I would love to get back.

Any of you clever lot got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Lancashire
I know what Ant would say
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Do you know someone with a similar phone? Could you remind yourself, using that, of where the swiping has to be done, and then try it on your dead screen?

Or even see if you can find a video on youtube demoing the phone, see if that will show you.

Or do you think the 'touch' element of the touch-screen is also buggered?
VO2Max

Thanks for your helpful reply Bazza (which is more than can be said for old safety-pants )

I think the touch element of the screen works because I can answer a call (just a swipe upwards to unlock it).

I'll check youtube as you suggested.

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
USB sim card reader do you any good, or do you think the contacts are stored in the 'phone memory?

EDIT or try this

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-s...onnect-pc.html
VO2Max

Nah, phone memory Keithy, AFAIK the SIM has very limited space so I saved all contacts to the phone.

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

The Desire is Android I think? One of the settings in Android backs everything up to Google and I think that is set on as default. I'm assuming you'll be getting a new phone so it might just be a question of putting the SIM in a new Android and logging in to Google.

It worked for me when I transferred the SIM into a new Android a few months back, it even knew which apps to download from Google Play to load up my favourites
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

There's a thought. Or could he even log into Google+, using the ID details from his phone, and it might have all the contacts there?
VO2Max

Nah, I don't have a gmail account. Thanks though!

AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Nah, I don't have a gmail account. Thanks though!
I thought it was automatic with Android. You needed a Google account to use it.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yeah, that's what I was referring to - you might have a google+ account without realising it, because you set one up to use the phone with. Certainly that's what happened with my Nexus 7.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

You don't have to set up a Google account unless you want to download apps from the Play Store (and you'll only have a +account if you didn't bother to untick the option). We find many people have them setup in store and don't actually know their username or password. First thing to try is using the e-mail address you most used at the time as the username on Google and either a likely password or try resetting it. Not always an option but worth a try.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
If you haven't backed them up to a Google account, or backed them up to a memory card, or backed them up to your SIM card and you cannot interact with the phone then you are hosed.

In the old days you could navigate through the menu with the keypad even with a dead screen.
But with a touch screen I doubt you'll be able to get anything. (Although you could get an identical phone and try going through the motions side-by-side...)

Googling says try this:

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/
VO2Max

Thanks TC, I tried downloading the software but I have to pay $29 or so for something I don't know will work. Also, it seems I have to do stuff on the phone and of course, the screen doesn't work.

Unregistered

County: Lancashire
Send it to Ant
VO2Max

You have a point HM, one-way postage to S. America and he could email me the contacts and then chuck the phone on the bin!

I had no idea Ant was a whizz with this stuff.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Oh yeah, he's smashing.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Ok, i know you don't have a gmail of google+ account but do you download apps from the play store? If you do then follow amicuspro's advice and try and login. If you get on to the website you can send this app to your phone and use this to extract the contacts. I've never done it but has great reviews.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
buggered , contacts , phone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page