Help - Sick PC - SVCHOST.EXE - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 13-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Help - Sick PC - SVCHOST.EXE

Help please from you clever people !

CPU Usage is at 100% and this is being caused by svchost using 98% of the cpu.

I can end task in the Task Manager and cpu usage is back to normal but of course once I start using the pc svchost kicks back in and I'm back where I started.

Run CC Cleaner and that didn't fix it. Had this problem before and AVC Tune Up seemed to cure it but that was a one off shot unless I pay for it so does any one know how I can cure this ?

Running XP.

Thanks all.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
try malaware bytes, usually sorts everything out when i have to fix mates laptops.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

If not, also worth downloading the Microsoft Security Scanner or look at Trend's online scanner. Also worth using "Hijack this" to generate a log and it's now owned by Trend Micro (just found that out)..

Also worth looking at your startup files (type "msconfig" into the Run box) and checking what starts each time the machine does.
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
+1 to MalwareBytes - great stuff!
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 13-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Thanks for your help guys.

Sadly no further on yet and googling this has me worried now.

Haven't tried the Trend fix yet but have run full scans using Malware Bites, Spybot, CC Cleaner, AVG and they all come up clean.

Not sure if I'm confident enough to go into config and see what happens at Start up, certainly not confident enough to attempt a manual fix as suggested in many Software Forums.

The problem is still high CPU usage at Start up and if I end the Task using Task Manager it might be fine until a restart/reboot when I will have to stop it again. At other times it just occurs just as I'm using the PC normally.

Also the system tray is looking a bit odd as is the drop down under " Most Visited, " looks smaller than it ever did before.

Reading about this problem it seems I may also be at high risk of someone stealing things like Passwords and other personal information so I'm seriously concerned now, what was a big inconvenience could be a lot more...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

From what I can see, a known bug with XP. Can be avoided by turning off automatic updates. Can't see an actual fix though, you'd have to leave automatic updates off, and remember to check for them manually from time to time.

Not sure how it would lead to you being more vulnerable to hacking though, think that might just be someone scaremongering.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

This also seems to suggest the problem was solved in XP service pack 3. Have you got SP3 installed?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en
AO Member

County: Shropshire
SVCHOST.EXE is not the problem but a service that is using SVCHOST.EXE

You need the extened version of task manager from microsoft to find out which service has started the problem svchost, and then stop that service.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Sorry, I missed the XP reference. I had the same issue with XP SP2 Home and SP1 or 2 Pro 64bit. I think it was fixed in SP2 Pro... It was indeed auto updates but as XP support ends in April 2014 anyway, it's not long before it will be vulnerable. Also, I'm starting to come across more problematic AVG installations and find it's often not that great picking things up. Even MSE and the MS scanner picked up and removed the trojan on my cousin's laptop (running Vista) that AVG had missed.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
This is a major new problem with XP and its causing me big headaches.

It has only affected customers that have done the latest updates to XP. The latest update assumes that you have a Internet Explorer 8 which it most probably doesn't unless you have manually installed it previously. It attempts to run a component for IE8 for performing new updates but instead gets stuck in a loop taking the cpu to 100% and rendering some slower laptops useless.

If you ask me this is very bad programming on Microsofts behalf, either that or they are deliberately taking out older XP machines to get the revenue of people going out and buying new Win7/8 machines.

You can fix the problem by installing Internet Explorer 8 (+tick box to install any IE8 updates).

Obviously your not going to be able to do this on the machine normally as the cpu is maxed out. You can End-Task the hogging svhost and get the cpu back but this also takes out tcp networking so then you cant download it (a single instance of svhost can run many differet dll's and services at once).

Press F8 just before windows starts and go to 'Safe Mode With Networking'.
You can then install IE8 + updates, restart and then all is good again.

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 14-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Thanks a lot everyone, your help is much appreciated.

Yep, running SP3 and think everything else is up to date.

Huge problems this morning getting everything to work but after, eventually doing a System Restore and Task Ending many times I'm eventually here and right now everything is working well.

Matt, although I have IE something or other I don't use it, running FF, so would your suggestion work ? If so please in words of one syllable or less........

And again - Extended Task Manager ? ( Sorry peeps, I struggle with PC stuff. )

Right now I think I can do Downloads so if anyone can give me a pointer bearing in mind that I'm a fool..........

As for AVG I'm beginning to wonder if it just sits there doing nowt but eating Memory.....
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 14-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Just installed IE8 with updates, turned off Auto Updates, done a couple of restarts and so far so good.......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'd personally get rid of AVG tbh. But you'll get different preferences on what to replace it with depending on who you ask - no 1 system is perfect but MSE is straightforward to use and shouldn't be a big drain.
Microsft Security Essentials Download - it basically runs a traffic light +1 system - Green, all ok; Amber, click "Scan" or "Update"; Red, Click "Update" then "Scan" or "I found something and dealt with it" or on rare occasions "I found something but don't know what to do with it"; Blue, updating or scanning.
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 14-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I'd personally get rid of AVG tbh. But you'll get different preferences on what to replace it with depending on who you ask - no 1 system is perfect but MSE is straightforward to use and shouldn't be a big drain.
Microsft Security Essentials Download - it basically runs a traffic light +1 system - Green, all ok; Amber, click "Scan" or "Update"; Red, Click "Update" then "Scan" or "I found something and dealt with it" or on rare occasions "I found something but don't know what to do with it"; Blue, updating or scanning.

Yep, I'm going to try another Anti Virus - but not just yet.

After doing the IE Download and install things are currently working fine so I don't want to potentially confuse things by changing anything.

Keeping everything crossed and hoping.........
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Yes this is the problem, we delete all shortcuts to IE on our laptops and install Chrome, since then weve had a large drop in web related issues.

The downside to this is IE stayed as version 6 as it was not used. Components for IE are used for windows activation and updates so even though you are not actually using it to browse, it is still being used in the background.

PS every virus checker will not be able to pick up virus's straight away. There is a 2 week window between the virus being created and the checkers knowing what it is.

AVG is a good bit of kit and will find more than MSE in any test. You cant rely on any virus checker though you need to use your brain a bit.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 15-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Yes this is the problem, we delete all shortcuts to IE on our laptops and install Chrome, since then weve had a large drop in web related issues.

The downside to this is IE stayed as version 6 as it was not used. Components for IE are used for windows activation and updates so even though you are not actually using it to browse, it is still being used in the background.

PS every virus checker will not be able to pick up virus's straight away. There is a 2 week window between the virus being created and the checkers knowing what it is.

AVG is a good bit of kit and will find more than MSE in any test. You cant rely on any virus checker though you need to use your brain a bit.

Well so far so good but I'm not relaxing just yet !

Thanks for the info, for now I'm keeping everything as it is and we'll see how it goes.

Once again thanks to everyone for your help and advice, very much appreciated.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Nige download Process Explorer from sysinternals site, this will show you the executable image that is using svchost and help you to pinpoint exactly what application or service is causing the cpu spike.

Process Explorer
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 17-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Nige download Process Explorer from sysinternals site, this will show you the executable image that is using svchost and help you to pinpoint exactly what application or service is causing the cpu spike.

Process Explorer

That seems like a good idea, I'll have a look at that, thanks.

For now things are still working well.......
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Do yo have a process running called "WUAUCLT.exe"? If so, stop that process and see if SVCHost drops. If it does then the problem is caused by automatic updates.

As already said, make sure you have SP3 and IE8 and if you don't then install them from the microsoft update website as soon as you can.

finally, open Disk defragmenter and analyse the c:\ drive. If you see a lot of red then defragment the hard drive.

I gave up on AVG antivirus on windows XP as it is now too much or a resource hog and no where near as good as it used to be. Now i use Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes. My pc's run a lot faster since this switch.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 21-11-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
Do yo have a process running called "WUAUCLT.exe"? If so, stop that process and see if SVCHost drops. If it does then the problem is caused by automatic updates.

As already said, make sure you have SP3 and IE8 and if you don't then install them from the microsoft update website as soon as you can.

finally, open Disk defragmenter and analyse the c:\ drive. If you see a lot of red then defragment the hard drive.

I gave up on AVG antivirus on windows XP as it is now too much or a resource hog and no where near as good as it used to be. Now i use Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes. My pc's run a lot faster since this switch.

Thanks again.

Its been a week now and things are still running well. I have SP3 and IE 8 and leaving the Auto Updates " Off. "

Don't remember seeing "WUAUCL" running so dunno about that.

I have removed Malwarebytes as that seemed to be causing rather than curing problems. I recall seeing that eating up 50% of the CPU resources, " MBAM " or something like that it was called.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
sick , svchostexe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page