Sky box, DVD recorder and TV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Sky box, DVD recorder and TV

A friend of mine just bought himself a cheapo DVD recorder from Ebay, he wants to record programmes from Sky as well as normal terrestrial TV.

In what order should the DVD recorder be wired in ?

I initially thought it would be Sky box connected to DVD recorder then connected to TV but I'm not an expert. Now I'm starting to think maybe it should be connected as DVD recorder connected to Sky Box then to the TV.

Anyone know the answer ?

Not having Sky myself I have not thought about it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RSK

Sky box to DVD recorder then DVD recorder to TV assuming he wants to daisy chain them

This will only work if he is using SCART cables and will only transmit and receive SD programming for recording.

If he has Sky HD and is looking to archive from that he's best off leaving the Sky box conected to his TV by HDMI and then separately connect the SKY box by SCART to the rec-in on the DVD recorder.

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks RSK
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Sky box to DVD recorder then DVD recorder to TV assuming he wants to daisy chain them

This will only work if he is using SCART cables and will only transmit and receive SD programming for recording.

If he has Sky HD and is looking to archive from that he's best off leaving the Sky box conected to his TV by HDMI and then separately connect the SKY box by SCART to the rec-in on the DVD recorder.
You may find that with the HD setup as above that you will also need a connection from the DVD recorder direct to the TV for playback.
To record Freeview (is the DVD a Freeview box?) you will also need to connect the aerial to the RF out on the Sky box. The DVD should have a pass through RF in and out. The Sky box has 2 RF outs. One just passes through the signal from the aerial. The other does this but also outputs whatever you are watching on Sky on an analogue channel usually 38 if it is switched on on your box. This output is SD and mono. If the DVD has both analogue and digital tuners use this RF out which will give an alternative recording method.
I use this RF out to send everything up to the loft so that all TVs can watch Sky.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
box , dvd , recorder , sky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page