Control your central heating from your 'phone!? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 09-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Control your central heating from your 'phone!?

British Gas have come up with a very neat alternative to hiding the thermostat from the misses or taking the batteries out of it.

Remote Heating Control

200 is a bit steep but for the sheer joy of that confused look from herself and "I swear I turned that up!" It might just be worth it.

Anyone got one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

When she finds out she'll have your nads on toast with a nice Chianti
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 09-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
When she finds out she'll have your nads on toast with a nice Chianti
Toasticles eh?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Sorry but I find it hard to take anything seriously that has this quote attached to it:

Quote:
As Nina Bhatia, managing director of British Gas connected homes, strategy and M&A remarked, “I never engaged with my thermostat before, I didn’t even know where it was...”
Never engaged with you thermostat!? You annoying marketing 'droidette!

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

We've been providing support for this service for a while (me personally at one point but currently others). Good when it works but there were some problems if it wasn't working and you were on Sky and some others who provided routers that couldn't have certain settings changed. Also need to be aware that if your internet and/or BG servers go down you'll still have to change the temperature manually... I don't think I could justify the expense unless I needed everything automated or had a house that got really hot/cold or kept leaving heating on or was just a wimp and couldn't cope with the heating not being at 20 degrees precisely for 2 hours before arriving home...
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 09-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippecanoe View Post
Sorry but I find it hard to take anything seriously that has this quote attached to it:

Never engaged with you thermostat!? You annoying marketing 'droidette!

I find it hard to believe that there is woman anywhere who hasn't engaged with their thermostat. It's impossible to keep Mrs Pat away from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
...or was just a wimp and couldn't cope with the heating not being at 20 degrees precisely for 2 hours before arriving home...
You mean "if I was a gurly"?*

*Flame suit on and scarpers
AO Platinum Member

I don't really understand the concept of a phone application that would just get whacked up to "MAX" anyway....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Actually, I do see a genuine benefit... If you have an elderly relative you can ensure the heating is on when it needs to be....

Some landlords use it but a) you need to lock the thermostat away to stop tenants changing it and b) all they really need to do is disconnect the internet connection (which you're also having to pay out for, thus negating some/all of the benefits!). Far better to have a meter on-site.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Home automation has been around for some considerable time but the likes of Sky and BT have decided it's too complicated for Joe average and have locked down their routers so you can't use it. Actually that's not strictly true of BT yet but it's coming. For those that don't know the latest Sky routers are really locked down and if they don't do what you want you can't just swap them for a router that will do what you want - it's a breach of their terms and conditions but more importantly you can't extract the username and password that's needed for your connection. Well actually you can but it will be far beyond the capability of joe average as it involves packet sniffing which is not what some of you might think it is. BT will doubtless be doing similar soonish with their range of seriously crap routers.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Home automation has been around for some considerable time but the likes of Sky and BT have decided it's too complicated for Joe average and have locked down their routers so you can't use it. Actually that's not strictly true of BT yet but it's coming. For those that don't know the latest Sky routers are really locked down and if they don't do what you want you can't just swap them for a router that will do what you want - it's a breach of their terms and conditions but more importantly you can't extract the username and password that's needed for your connection. Well actually you can but it will be far beyond the capability of joe average as it involves packet sniffing which is not what some of you might think it is. BT will doubtless be doing similar soonish with their range of seriously crap routers.
Thus I've no plans to go with Sky/BT and have my own ASUS router That said, the BT ones are usually more reliable when we're logging in.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

I've already got this along with control of water heating as well. Not to mention I have two plugs that would allow me to switch on items blugged in to them as well. It all came as part of our solar power installation. It means you can have the house nicely warmed up if your coming home on a cold night. Have the water ready for a nice shower/bath and put the kettle on in time for you arriving home
We can also tell the house if we're in or out. If we're in the heating will always be 19oC minimal, but, if we're not, it will let it drop to 8oC.
It's all very cool, but, I've never figured out a use for the 2nd plug thing :thinks:

AO Platinum Member

Solar heating when there's only 5 hours of daylight up north and no sun at night?

How does that work?

()
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Frank View Post
It's all very cool, but, I've never figured out a use for the 2nd plug thing :thinks:
Turning on or off a radio or tv to give the impression the house is occupied?

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 11-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippecanoe View Post
Solar heating when there's only 5 hours of daylight up north and no sun at night?

How does that work?

()
His solar panel is in Devon, he's just got a really long lead.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
central , control , heating , phone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page