Convert .odb files? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Convert .odb files?

I've got a database which I set up in OpenOffice Base, probably the worst database software ever written!

I want to convert it to Excel (.xls) format or, at a pinch Access (.mdb), but I can't find any way of doing it. Logic says save or export it as a .csv file, but there doesn't appear to be any way that can be done.

I've tried a shareware conversion utility, but that found errors in original file & couldn't do the conversion. I've also searched the Apache website & a couple of OpenOffice forums without success.

Any suggestions, short of re-entering everything in a new Excel spreadsheet? (Not too big a task as it's only about 70 entries with five fields.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

AO Member

County: -
I'm no expert on OpenOffice, but I think the file format is XML. Open the file in a text editor or XML viewer and see what is going on in there. With luck you'll be able to re-save as a .txt file then import into excel.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]
CobolMan

Dave, have a look at this Export to Calc

(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Done it!

The method in ronan's link, drag & drop from Base to Calc, gave me an error message - "connection cannot be made" or something similar. Copy & paste worked & Calc gave the option of saving in Excel format, so that's what I did.

Just a few word processor documents to save in Word format & OpenOffice is history!
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I quite like LibreOffice (similar to OO) as a free suite but I agree Base is rubbish when used to using Access and SQL Server. Certainly as a home user it does the job anyway - MS Word is overkill.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Nice
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 05-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I quite like LibreOffice (similar to OO) as a free suite but I agree Base is rubbish when used to using Access and SQL Server. Certainly as a home user it does the job anyway - MS Word is overkill.
We're still using Office 97 for our everyday stuff ! We got the full version when my wife a was student & MS offered student licences for a fraction of the normal price & as she uses Access frequently it's still the best for our purposes. Bit of a panic when we upgraded to Windows 8 64-bit . . . don't believe everything the MS Upgrade Advisor tells you, it's perfectly compatible.

I started using OpenOffice when I had a .docx file to edit, fell out of love with it when I tried to use mailmerge to print a batch of address labels. I'm giving V4 a try,though, more out of curiosity than necessity.

Looking at what MS is doing with Office 2013 it looks like a determined effort to price themselves out of the market.

I suspect that for 90% of home users Wordpad is a perfectly adequate word processor . . . wonder why MS doesn't tell anybody they've got it?

The first "word processor" I used was edlin . . . still have nightmares!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
convert , files , odb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page