Virgin Broadband - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 21-09-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Virgin Broadband

Anyone use it? Actually get anywhere close to the 100mb offered?

Any problems? Any issues with their 'traffic management'?

Fed up with BT speeds and paying for a phone line we don't use. Also we keep going over our 40GB limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
Anyone use it? Actually get anywhere close to the 100mb offered?

Any problems? Any issues with their 'traffic management'?

Fed up with BT speeds and paying for a phone line we don't use. Also we keep going over our 40GB limit.
Nope, couldn't (currently) justify the cost - pay under £10 for line rental and £5 for BB (up to 8Mb officially but get around 10-11Mb on average and "unlimited" downloads that I've never had any warnings about using LoveFilm or iPlayer. Don't do many downloads or other streaming though.
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 22-09-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

Had an online chat with Virgin. They say if I take the 100mb package I can get up to 86.5mb download speed and if I take the 60mb package I can get 54.6. He seemed annoyed when I asked if the network can clearly go much higher why not 60mb on the 60mb package.

(I know speeds vary on all networks before I get a lecture for being awkward but it just annoyed me)
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

In the real world, our 20mb Virgin broadband can deliver 20mb on a good day. 15 is more normal though.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Just tested my Virgin Media 20mb...getting 20mb....so i'm happy enough
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
I've got a 30mb service and consistently get 31 - 32.5mb, good service, no downtime for about 2 years
crazycarb

Engines, I'm alright on...Technology, I aint. How do you all know how many MB you are using or getting?

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post
Engines, I'm alright on...Technology, I aint. How do you all know how many MB you are using or getting?
Try Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I've got the 100mb package due to be upgraded soon to 120mb and I can get 100mb on my hard wired computer and my HTPC using a top of the range £70 wireless card with 3 antennas.

Wireless access using an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5s is around the 40mb mark.

However, I don't use the VirginMedia "Superhub" for wireless, preferring other wireless points instead. I know people who successfully use the superhub but the virgin forums are full of people who turn off the wireless like I do. I never really tried the Virgin hub as it comes into the house at an inconvenient place and already had a quality router to use.

I've had the service for many years and have had one or two issues with the network. I expect the odd glitch now and then and it has been more reliable than the Internet at work.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 23-09-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Just tested my Virgin Media 20mb...getting 20mb....so i'm happy enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeigh View Post
I've got a 30mb service and consistently get 31 - 32.5mb, good service, no downtime for about 2 years
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
I've got the 100mb package due to be upgraded soon to 120mb and I can get 100mb on my hard wired computer and my HTPC using a top of the range £70 wireless card with 3 antennas.

Wireless access using an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5s is around the 40mb mark.

However, I don't use the VirginMedia "Superhub" for wireless, preferring other wireless points instead. I know people who successfully use the superhub but the virgin forums are full of people who turn off the wireless like I do. I never really tried the Virgin hub as it comes into the house at an inconvenient place and already had a quality router to use.

I've had the service for many years and have had one or two issues with the network. I expect the odd glitch now and then and it has been more reliable than the Internet at work.
Cheers - I'll probably be using the 'Superhub' as just now I've only got homehubs in the house. Do they just set it up at whatever point they drill through the wall? Also you said about turning off the superhub wireless - do you have your wifi router plugged in to the hub?

Will probably go for the 60mb package if I can convince them to waive the install fee.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Thanks guys
Cheers - I'll probably be using the 'Superhub' as just now I've only got homehubs in the house. Do they just set it up at whatever point they drill through the wall? Also you said about turning off the superhub wireless - do you have your wifi router plugged in to the hub?

Will probably go for the 60mb package if I can convince them to waive the install fee.
They usually put it into where the TV is. If you aren't having a TV, you may be able to choose.

My main wireless router is connected to the superhub via a cable. I have a cheaper router covering a wifi black spot connected via a pair of homeplugs to the router.
(Post Link) post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

Ok, I'm making the switch, getting the stuff delivered for self install for £10(when I phone back) but my problem is now BT. Has anyone had to pay a £30 cancellation/disconnection fee when switching?
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Ok, I'm making the switch, getting the stuff delivered for self install for £10(when I phone back) but my problem is now BT. Has anyone had to pay a £30 cancellation/disconnection fee when switching?

Big business always try to screw you !!
(Post Link) post #14 of 19 Old 11-10-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Big business always try to screw you !!
Yes they do. Yes they do.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Nope. Unless you're in the minimum connection period or it has a clause in the contract... You did read the contract when you signed up didn't you???
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
I've just renewed my BT deal. During the phone call I was warned there would be cancellation charges if I wanted to cancel within the fixed period. The deal saves me £3.50 a month for unlimited evening and weekends.

I had thought about changing the phone to Virgin but at present I pay for charged calls at the end of each quarter wich would give me a chance to query any problems. With Virgin it would be Direct Debit each month so I stuck with BT. BT were no good for Broadband because of lack of speed.
Durty dog

Im getting roughly 80 mbs, i downgraded from 120, no need for it.

AO Member

County: Glasgow

Member car:

Mito 1.4tb 155hp

I've got Virgin 60meg ant it's fine, don't get anywhere near the 60, more like 30 but that is wireless using Superhub. Regarding BT i was charged about £80 as i had to buy myself out of contract as i had more than 1 month left on existing BT package, in all honesty although Virgin seems ok i though BT were really good and i would have stayed if Infinity was coming to my area.
Strangely the next street had it and we weren't due it for at least 16-18mths........deal breaker.
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 13-10-13 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Nope. Unless you're in the minimum connection period or it has a clause in the contract... You did read the contract when you signed up didn't you???
Yep,new ere out our contracted period but it turns out it was a clause we couldn't riggle out of. If you switch to another provider you can dodge the fee as long as the broadband still comes through the phone line but as we are moving to cable we have to pay for it to be disconnected at the exchange. As apparently they don't really have staff working in the exchange regularly so have to cover the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinstig View Post
I've got Virgin 60meg ant it's fine, don't get anywhere near the 60, more like 30 but that is wireless using Superhub. Regarding BT i was charged about £80 as i had to buy myself out of contract as i had more than 1 month left on existing BT package, in all honesty although Virgin seems ok i though BT were really good and i would have stayed if Infinity was coming to my area.
Strangely the next street had it and we weren't due it for at least 16-18mths........deal breaker.
No plans for infinity in my area at all and the current speeds for the BT line is about 1.5mbs (BT tell us up to 8mbs). Hopefully this will be an improvement and we won't have to worry about useage allowance any more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
broadband , virgin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page