Governments Cracking Encrypted Traffic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 06-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Governments Cracking Encrypted Traffic

In light of the recent revelations about UK and US Gov collaborating on breaking encryption to spy on our traffic I was wondering if this is a good or a bad thing.

On the one hand it is an invasion of privacy, but on the other hand cyber warfare is a very real threat (Stuxnet) along with increased criminal use of cyber methods to mine information, steal identities and money.

I've just been on a cyber security briefing seminar and some of the facts about how cyber crime has escalated and how professional hackers offer services to professionally hack organisations and governments maybe it's a good thing.

After all, if you aren't doing anything wrong, what are you worried about?

My only reservation would be around the capability for nation states to act on information gained through their activities that were not targeting terrorists, criminals and cyber warfare, etc. across regional boundaries.

For example, if a nation gained access to Intellectual Property that would give a local business a competitive edge in their marketplace and shared that information undermining businesses from other countries that had invested in developing new technologies and methods, I feel this would be a very bad thing.

What do you think?

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

If you are really paranoid you could get someone technically minded to compile something like truecrypt from source and use that to encrypt everything you do.

Personally if I wanted to send something that I don't want eavesdropped, a pendrive or SD card in the post would work well.

That said my life is way to boring for anyone to be interested in it.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
For some reason it's never occurred to me that government's wouldn't be able to decrypt stuff. If not GCHQ would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Wouldn't they??
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

It's been going on for years. We had a company with offices in the states and Canada. When we were looking to place email servers in North America, they would have gone into Canada because of laws in America surrounding data interception.

There's also been stories in the press in the last year or two surrounding RIM (makers of Blackberry phones) giving countries access to intercept data. They were only asking for the same rights as certain other western governments already had.

I personally don't have a problem with it as long its only done to track criminal activity.
Spacecadet

I had a heated debate/row with a friend who work in the private eavesdropping industry about this. He designs and installs CCTV surveillance systems for governments in high risk buildings, mainly North Africa.

He used the "if you ain't done anything wrong, you haven't got anything to worry about."line too.

The thing is, who polices the police? Government, who are the most fundamentally corrupt organisations on earth. Governments.

If we allow the slow spread of intrusion into our lives, where will it end? How long before everyone has to be fitted with an emplanted GPS tag for "your personal security" ?how long until you have a camera installed in your lounge to "ensure your safety"?

It's all a slippery slope. It is being done so quickly, soon everything you do will be monitored, then new laws will outlaw certain aspects of your life on spurious grounds of let's try a few, environmental protection, tax collection, public safety?

Lets imagine I go out to the pub of an evening, the local government know where I am. I choose to have a beer, instant added fee on my lets call it 'life tax' bill. Bag of crisps, another fee, on the way home I take a pee in the bushes, added 'environmental clean up fee' possibly on the way home I weave about, 'inefficient walking fee.' Then say God forbid I have a go on my dearly beloved, 'unvalidated attempted procreation fee.'

Those who laugh, imagine explaining the current level of oversight of our lives to a person living in the early 1900s.

It is wrong and I do not like the way it is going. I worry for the personal lives and privacy of my children.

This current state of snooping into the private affairs of the people is the basic life of the Chinese under communism, everyone tells government about everything because of the fear of unjust, un voted for laws designed to oppress the people. That's been a fantastic success for freedom and fairness!

AO Member

County: Shropshire
If i have done nothing wrong, then you have no right to watch me do nothing wrong.....
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Shy?

AO Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Shy?
Not Shy, i just know how to hide stuff..........
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Agree with AndyMac.

I hate the phrase " If you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about. "

Far too much intrusion into our personal life's as it is and yet people seem ever more prepared to give up even more freedoms.

I expect the Government to look after the country's needs, not endlessly think of more ways to snoop on me.

Foolishly I thought that when we got rid of the previous Government things would change - yeah right.

Nanny, can I please go for a walk around town without being spied on........

Of course I can't yet here in town they are removing the Bus Shelters in the Bus Station as they keep getting vandalised, despite very extensive CCTV. Talk about treating the symptom but not the cause.

Still the police station is all of a hundred yards away so can't expect too much.

So lil 'ole innocent me is constantly monitored in case I commit an horrendous crime such as dropping a Kit Kat wrapper and will be fined for this extremely anti social behaviour and yet the scrotes doing really nasty stuff seem to be immune from prosecution.

Yep, this new society that we have allowed to be forced on us is really working well.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

If I could trust the data handling of the people who record it (and I mean both on an individual and corporate, intentional and incidental level) then I may not have so much of an issue. That said, I'm assuming those worried about privacy don't post random things to Facebook and the like.

It's a bit of a catch 22, where we value privacy and we value freedom but don't seem to be able to strike the right balance of each.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin.

I can hardly improve on this !!!

Pretty sure that I'm not paranoid but I am careful on what I Post on line, as I think a lot of people are.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

It does sound like paranoia.

My father refused to use the internet at all because 'they'
might hack his account and steal his valuable stuff.

Since sorting through his estate I have yet to find anything
worth stealing. I wish I could find all that valuable stuff.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
It does sound like paranoia.

My father refused to use the internet at all because 'they'
might hack his account and steal his valuable stuff.

Since sorting through his estate I have yet to find anything
worth stealing. I wish I could find all that valuable stuff.

Nah, not at all Gibbo. I just have a bit of a thing about neither wanted or needed official interference into peoples personal lives. Managed to get by for many years without being nannied every step of the way and would like to continue in the same vein.
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
I personally don't have a problem with it as long its only done to track criminal activity.
Problem with that, of course, is that the definition of what constitues criminal activity changes over time, with where you are, and with who's in charge.

Poetin made "two guys holding hands" a criminal offence. That wasn't one before...
There has been a time when being a Jew constituted grounds for erradication.
There's been a time when that went for Catholics.
My swimming trunks are illegal in some areas, and so are my wife's dresses.

So no: I'm not a great fan of massive data collection by governments and their pawns.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

The programs THEY use will sopposedly flag up keywords and check the contect of the conversation, so saying a few words ion quick succesion that are on the watchlist could get you looked at, so even saying If i have done nothing wrong, then you have no right to watch me do nothing wrong gets overlooked.

Anyway, I'm off to put my tin-foil hat on and live in my faraday cage to avoid it all.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
Problem with that, of course, is that the definition of what constitues criminal activity changes over time, with where you are, and with who's in charge.

Poetin made "two guys holding hands" a criminal offence. That wasn't one before...
There has been a time when being a Jew constituted grounds for erradication.
There's been a time when that went for Catholics.
My swimming trunks are illegal in some areas, and so are my wife's dresses.

So no: I'm not a great fan of massive data collection by governments and their pawns.
If I were living in North Korea or Iran, then I would probably have a different view but I would like to think that in this country the government are using it to protect us.

Having been injured in a terrorist bombing in Manchester, I believe that the government should do all they can to protect us.
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
.../... in this country the government are using it to protect us.

Having been injured in a terrorist bombing in Manchester, I believe that the government should do all they can to protect us.
They may be. Currently. Things change, however, and noone is able to guarantee that the data will not still be there for someone else, with a different perspective and another aim and purpose to (mis)use.

We could burn our letters but our e-mail is stored on multiple servers for a multitude of purposes never to be revoked or deleted.
We could pay cash for a multitude of things not long ago, now that's hardly possible anymore - so most all transactions are recorded somewhere and saved for some dity of your choice knows how long.
My blood tests are recorded electronically. But how secure is my GP's home office? Where is my data stored? To whom is it made available? Who can access it even though they have not been granted access officially?

I've done nothing to be ashamed of. To Dutch current standards. But if the standards change, will my data get me condemned?
I've done nothing wrong. To today's standards. Tomorrow will be different. And what will my blood tests tell?
I'm a law-abiding citizen - to today's laws. Nothing to tell me that they won't have changed by tomorrow.

Data that makes you feel safe today will make you distrustful tomorrow and may well cause your arrest a few days later.

Government is not protecting you by collecting data about stuff they have nothing to do with and keeping it somewhere unsafe for eternity. It's giving you a false sense of security.

I do hope your injury does not have too much of an impact on your day-to-day life. In whatever way it was incurred.

*..._______
*./________\
./OO__V__OO\
|=_-_____-_=|

It is far easier to come to a compromise than it is to dispose of a body
B'dum tsch
AO Rosso Alfa Member

But then again ........

Awaiting Email Conf

County: Greater London

Member car:

Quattroporte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post

He used the "if you ain't done anything wrong, you haven't got anything to worry about."line too.
Ask him to acquaint himself with what our wonderful police, powers-that-be, get up to. Police 'smear' campaign targeted Stephen Lawrence's friends and family | UK news | The Guardian

Doreen Lawrence is the victim's innocent mother, she has done nothing wrong, nothing to invite the state's smear campaign on her.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

What Al said.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Not realy that concerned, however much like road fund license without insurance is illegal the measures don't really stop the criminals do they?
I'm sure a few baddies and terrorists at the bottom end might be found out but I don't think any of significance will.
A waste of time and effort.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
cracking , encrypted , governments , traffic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page