Old Tom Tom, Upgrade or Replace? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Old Tom Tom, Upgrade or Replace?

Hi,

I have a Tom Tom ONE XL with all European maps that I've dragged out of hibernation for my Italy Trip next week, I'm wondering is it worth updating with new maps or am I better of buying a newer model?

Doubt I'll use it again for a while unless we go to another European country and the maps on it are going to be 5 years old. I also have CoPilot on my iPhone and on my iPad Mini and wondering if I'd be better off just buying the Italian Map for that.

What would you do?

Cheers

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I've got a similar six year old Tom Tom and I brought it out of hibernation for my recent drive to the Belgian Grand Prix. I went on-line and it cost me about 40.00 to do the upgrade but it's now like I've bought a brand new device, the graphics and on screen info are much better and user friendly, I would definitely recommend you try it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
I've got a similar six year old Tom Tom and I brought it out of hibernation for my recent drive to the Belgian Grand Prix. I went on-line and it cost me about 40.00 to do the upgrade but it's now like I've bought a brand new device, the graphics and on screen info are much better and user friendly, I would definitely recommend you try it.
It's 60 for the map update service and 50 just to buy the central europe maps which will gve me italy, that said, it might be nice to have the additional functionality that I have on my ipad mini, bigger screen, etc. just checking prices.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Depends on your data plan. I'd just use Waze on my iPhone, but I've got some corporate 5gb limit that works all over Europe.

To be honest, 5 year old maps will be good enough. Hell, the European Atlas in the 159 is dated 2000, and it still works...
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
My old TomTom Go 910 died a few months ago, so I bought a new Start 60. Much bigger screen, & features such as advanced lane guidance which make it much better in practice, despite being in theory a lower-spec device
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I would just use the iPhone. I have TomTom Western Europe on the iPhone and the Brera Brodit car kit keeps it in a nice high position. I really like it and the app can also be used on my iPad as well. It's not as configurable as the dearest TomTom, but has been great for me and is better than the cheapest TomTom. My brother bought a cheap TomTom but I found a few options missing from that.

The TomTom iPhone app also includes lane guidance.

I can't compare it to Copilot, but if you have a decent phone holder and like Copilot I would probably just buy the maps for that.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I use the included Nokia maps/driving apps on the Lumia and found that their ability to load maps for off-line use a real boon - worked in the USA and Canada quite happily for our 2k+ roadtrip. Only complaint is that it's a battery drain but an available charger solves that. My cousin once gave me his old sat nav but even that couldn't cope with a trip to Cornwall without a charge.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I use the included Nokia maps/driving apps on the Lumia and found that their ability to load maps for off-line use a real boon - worked in the USA and Canada quite happily for our 2k+ roadtrip. Only complaint is that it's a battery drain but an available charger solves that. My cousin once gave me his old sat nav but even that couldn't cope with a trip to Cornwall without a charge.
The battery on the iPhone is pants as well using it as a sat Nav. In my car I have the holder plugged permanently into my Pioneer so there's a single wire going through the trim so its quite neat and I can also play music from the iPhone and the TomTom interrupts the music.

I used to use it in a friends BMW 3 series and he got the smokers delete pack removing a convenient cigarette lighter so I used to run it off a small battery pack which would get to most places and back again in England where we needed to go.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 09-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Wife made the decision, she's a bit anti technology in the first place so doesn't really trust sat nav anyway, have now upgraded the tom tom with the central europe maps, although to get them on I had to ditch the UK, so will only know when I get out there if it actually works....
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Wife made the decision, she's a bit anti technology in the first place so doesn't really trust sat nav anyway, have now upgraded the tom tom with the central europe maps, although to get them on I had to ditch the UK, so will only know when I get out there if it actually works....
And if they don't, you'll not find your way home but will wander the European or UK roads ad infinitum.
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 11-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
And if they don't, you'll not find your way home but will wander the European or UK roads ad infinitum.
It worked perfectly, even reminds you to drive on the wrong side of the road, had to resort to google maps today though, a couple of places we went to had two parts to the town, new urban sprawl below, picturesque hilltop medieval towns above, difficult to get to the nice bits easily

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
I would just use the iPhone. I have TomTom Western Europe on the iPhone and the Brera Brodit car kit keeps it in a nice high position. I really like it and the app can also be used on my iPad as well. It's not as configurable as the dearest TomTom, but has been great for me and is better than the cheapest TomTom. My brother bought a cheap TomTom but I found a few options missing from that.

The TomTom iPhone app also includes lane guidance.

I can't compare it to Copilot, but if you have a decent phone holder and like Copilot I would probably just buy the maps for that.
Thats what I do (iPhone W Europe) - add a 7.00 kit from Tesco that sticks it to the screen on an extendable arm and gives you a power supply from the lighter socket and you are away.
AO Platinum Member

Plan B ?

Last edited by AlfaDrivingFan; 18-01-16 at 07:42.
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 17-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Got a hardcopy map, scale not god enough, got a tuscany hardcopy map and its falling to bits after a week of use.

Can't get hold f any decent scale road mapping in hardcopy, bloody nightmare when you're unsure and have to resort to google maps app over 3G

None of them are perfect, but collectively they give confidence in being able to get to where you want to go.
AO Platinum Member

I found that most of the roads are still where they were 10 years ago.. leave the old maps in there and just improvise when you get to a "new" bit..

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I just love sat nav; when you go down a new road it keeps on trying to redirect you and shows you are in the middle of a field, wonderful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
replace , tom , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page