BT Vision v Sky - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
BT Vision v Sky

Sky is very expensive and I have been looking at changing it for some time. My requirements are the 5 terrestrial channels, ability to record, catch up and on demand and SPORT.

Yesterday I ordered a package from BT that included a new phone line, a BT infinity fibre connection plus BT Vision+, BT Sport and Sky Sports 1&2. Today I cancelled the order and cancelled my Sky cancellation.

Why? Well the entire BT package was going to be £58pm as opposed to the £69 that Sky want to match my requirements. £54 to Sky and £15 to BT for BT Sport. So it most definitely wasn't on cost grounds.

The reasons are technical and to do with the way we currently have Sky set up.

I did some detailed research and this is what has caused me to cancel.

1. The BT Vision+ box does not have an RF modulator. Using the RF output on the Sky box fed to the loft makes it possible for any room in the house to watch what's on Sky in the living room. We have a magic eye in the bedroom which makes it possible to control the Sky box and SWMBO often watches recorded stuff and catch up in bed. The kids never leave their bedrooms but they do watch the football if I am watching it downstairs. You can't do this with the BT box except with a separate RF modulator and some kind of new kind of magic eye.

2. The BT Vision+ box gets its Sky Sports via multicast download. The BT Home Hub supports this but is otherwise a piece of junk. I was planning to use the BT infinity into the second WAN port of my existing router and then use load balancing to direct traffic from the BT Vision box down WAN2 and while the router should support multicast there would also be the need to reconfigure a significant portion of the network to get it all to work.

3. The BT Vision+ box does not present 5:1 via HDMI only via Toslink. I don't have a spare optical in on my AV Receiver.

4. The BT package only has Sky Sports 1&2. UEFA Champions League is often on 3 and I do sometimes watch F1.

5. The BT package does not give you Sky Go. A boy at university woul not be able to watch football on his iPad. Getting BT Sport via Sky still gets you access to the BT Sports app. As one of the boys is off to uni in October this is quite a big one.

6. Love or hate the company the Sky user interface is superb. SWMBO likes it.

Hope this helps anyone else considering swapping to BT. Most people won't have such detailed requirements as me but some will.

Last edited by biggreenzebra; 06-08-13 at 20:01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

PS Sky is still way too expensive. The cheaper BT package included £15pm for a phone line and £15 pm for BT Infinity with 40gb bandwidth a month.

PPS I already have a business grade fibre connection via Zen.

County: Cork
Garage
FWIW Sky came out on top again for value for money a month or two ago when the Gadget show did a comparison between a few providers,
they did say that things might change soon though with the introduction of BT Sports.

On the subject of cost, have you asked Sky if there are any discounts or deals for existing customers, I've always got something when ever I've asked.
If you don't ask you don't get
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
FWIW Sky came out on top again for value for money a month or two ago when the Gadget show did a comparison between a few providers,
they did say that things might change soon though with the introduction of BT Sports.

On the subject of cost, have you asked Sky if there are any discounts or deals for existing customers, I've always got something when ever I've asked.
If you don't ask you don't get
Yes I did. I threatened to leave in June and got 3 months Sport at £5pm. The price quoted above is after some further haggling and some more discount.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
sky , vision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page