built in obsolescence - phones - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 23-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Brera

built in obsolescence - phones

I have seen it mentioned somewhere before but cant find it again, sorry.

My contracts started July 2011 for an HTC Sensation (latest on the block at the time) and a Blackberry. I have always suspected that some manufacturers build in obsolescence and now I am convinced.

The HTC I would not ind keeping, but the volume rocker switch on the side has just broken and is £40 for a new cover. As for the Blackberry, it keeps switching itself off, even with a fully charged battery.

I'm o a mind to go for the HTC One, complete with 4G and the Blackberry Q5 or Q10, though strangely, the Q5 seems every at the moment yet the Q10 seems to be getting quietly dropped. Real issue is, despite both contracts being about to expire, my provider of long term (I am loath to ditch them) is refusing to deal on the new phones and insisting on £36 a pop. last time I bargained hard and ended up with just £15 a month and £20, I think. Leaping up to a total of £72 per month is a huge leap.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
No such thing as 4G, it's LTE, 4G is just marketing, it's also rubbish, there's no real standard so it won't work in other countries.

We are on EE at work and people have awful problems, I'm currently going through a process of eliminating the phones or network with a number of users.

Most of the time we just get told to turn LTE off by the vendor.

Just get a good solid phone with hsupa/hsdpa which is sort of known as 3.5G LTE is 3.75G

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I picked up my new Blackberry Q10 last night.

I'm finding it very confusing. Dare say I will get used to it - but it's not a Blackberry anymore, and it's not an iPhone. It's got a totally new (to me, as a 10+ year veteran of Blackberries) look and feel and I'm finding it odd
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Having worked in a few IT departments in my time supporting mobiles:

Blackberries- Not the most reliable but most tend to work
Apple - Horrific reliability record and the refurbished models are a con.

If you want reliablilty then Nokia (non smartphone) or samsung all the way.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
Having worked in a few IT departments in my time supporting mobiles:

Blackberries- Not the most reliable but most tend to work

If you want reliablilty then Nokia (non smartphone) or samsung all the way.
Working in a tech call centre, I'd dispute the Samsung as some of their models have design flaw (attribute to Samsung or early Android) such as the Ace that limit their usage. They also seem to be ones we get a lot more calls about (and yes, they're popular) losing connection to the network or running out of memory.

If you can cope with the Windows Phone 8 options (I like the OS but it's different and not to everyone's taste) then the newer Nokias are definitely worth a punt (I have the 920 but I'm hearing many good things even about the 520). As with Android we get the occasional issue with the initial connection to servers to set up but after that, they're pretty solid phones.

Of course, if you buy an iPhone 5 but don't have a computer or home broadband, you have to go out and find a free, open access/no log on wifi hotspot to register it before it can be used on the network!

Oh and in terms of sync software, Kies is decent but flaky, HTC Sync is a nightmare, iTunes generally decent though clunky and Windows sync is still a bit of a work in progress but it does work (needs a bit of amalgamation between SkyDrive, Windows Phone Sync and access to Backup).

Last edited by AmicusPro; 25-07-13 at 09:12.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
No such thing as 4G, it's LTE, 4G is just marketing, it's also rubbish, there's no real standard so it won't work in other countries.

We are on EE at work and people have awful problems, I'm currently going through a process of eliminating the phones or network with a number of users.

Most of the time we just get told to turn LTE off by the vendor.

Just get a good solid phone with hsupa/hsdpa which is sort of known as 3.5G LTE is 3.75G

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Hi Ghosty, long time no hear, ok? and thanks. No idea what LTE is and thats a big no for 4G even in London? hsupa/hsdpa? You are loosing me totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
I picked up my new Blackberry Q10 last night.

I'm finding it very confusing. Dare say I will get used to it - but it's not a Blackberry anymore, and it's not an iPhone. It's got a totally new (to me, as a 10+ year veteran of Blackberries) look and feel and I'm finding it odd
Fred, a Blackberry is a must, hows the 10 going? Little worried about the 10's as they are falling of the radar with the 5's coming to the fore....hmmmm

Decisions decisions and thanks everyone
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebear View Post
Fred, a Blackberry is a must, hows the 10 going? Little worried about the 10's as they are falling of the radar with the 5's coming to the fore....hmmmm

Decisions decisions and thanks everyone
Battery life isn't great. Needs charging every night, whereas old Blackberry could carry 2 days easy.

Getting a bit more used to the Hub feature, and screen is very readable.

But still a bit odd.....
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 26-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

Well the Q10 is on its way but crikey, it took some effort; over 2 hours of calls and a blocked bank account to boot, I hope its worth it. So what tips?
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 07-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

Well the Q10 is going down a storm. Im told the qwerty keyboard is superb and the web browsing experience is also great. Apparently when displays news web pages, it displays just the news and cuts out the adverts running down either side of the page
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebear View Post
Well the Q10 is going down a storm. Im told the qwerty keyboard is superb and the web browsing experience is also great. Apparently when displays news web pages, it displays just the news and cuts out the adverts running down either side of the page
Glad to hear that. I'm a big Blackberry fan and will be moving to the Q10 in the next 6 months! I just find the Bold so usable and stable, so am a little worried to going to something "new"....
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 29-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

The new style keyboard is even friendlier to use and the way it displays web pages is good. Many other great things. I fought like a tiger to get a deal on it, since which I see the prices have dropped by at least a fiver a month!
EddieGTA

I had a sensation and liked android, but the phone had random glitches which every time seemed to be the HTC software not the OS itself. I got dust under the screen which was repaired under warranty just under two years old (good)

However shortly after the phone would crash randomly again and got worse. I was expecting important calls at the time and went out and bought the LG/Google Nexus 4 off contract. Absolutely love it, screen is brilliant and android without all the manufacturer BS is brilliant. Plus when software updates come out your not beholden to the manufacturer tweaking it around their particular hardware and software skins.

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
Intruiging. I have had my 4S for just over 18 months now. Nothing has gone wrong, it has never let me down and it is quite possibly the best phone i have ever had, as well as being my first iProduct. Had an Android Sony Ericsson before it, dreadful phone and operating system

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
built , obsolescence , phones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page