Geek help needed on my network... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 17-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Geek help needed on my network...

How do I find out the IP address of every device connected to my network?

Let me explain...
I have a Bt Home Hub 3, I know it's 192.168.1.254.
From there I have a network cable going to the TV and one going to a Belkin router which I'm using as a switch. I've configured the Belkin router with a static IP address, but I can't remember what it is.
From the Belkin I have a cable going to another router (D-Link), which I've also set up with a static address.
I have another old router in front of me and I'd like to use it at the TV, so I can have the TV, Western Digital TV Hub and a Sonos soundbar (yet to be purchased, and if my wife is reading this, it will cost less than your CRV's aircon repair) all connected up. But, based on how I've done it so far, I need to configure the router to a new static IP address.

So, what I want to do is find out what addresses I've used so far and perhaps actually save a file with the information.

Is there any easy way that doesn't involve connectin a computer to each router and tracert'ing it?

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 17-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks!
I had tried a couple of others, but with little success. Advanced IP Scanner did the trick.
Next router will be .248
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Login to admin on your BT home hub. It should list the connected devices and IP address. Find the Belkin router address (and anything attached). Then login to the Belkin admin to find the D-Link router address (and any others attached to that).
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Well no ones hacking into your network behind 3 firewalls!
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Login to admin on your BT home hub. It should list the connected devices and IP address. Find the Belkin router address (and anything attached). Then login to the Belkin admin to find the D-Link router address (and any others attached to that).
No. Switch everything on and use Advanced IP Scanner as stated / sort out your unecessarily complicated and probably partially unusable network.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

What's the need for 3 routers?

A standard router with MIMO / 802.11n will do spiffingly..
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Well no ones hacking into your network behind 3 firewalls!
Home Hub firewall is on, the rest are switched off.
(Post Link) post #9 of 24 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
No. Switch everything on and use Advanced IP Scanner as stated / sort out your unecessarily complicated and probably partially unusable network.
It's unusable if I don't configure each router correctly (funnily enough, my wife's iPad wouldn't connect onto the Home Hub last night, which may mean something is clashing somewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowamd View Post
What's the need for 3 routers?

A standard router with MIMO / 802.11n will do spiffingly..
Yes, only one is being used as a router - the Home Hub. The rest are being used as wireless access points/switches.
The house isn't big, but it is close to 200 years old. The interior & exterior walls downstairs are about 30cm thick, solid stone. That has a bit of an impact on wifi performance, particularly when the router is at the front right of the house and my office is in a new extensions on the back left.
Over the years i've built up a collection of routers, so rather than going out and buying wireless access points & switches, I use an undocumented feature of many routers - plug a network cable into port 1 and you have a switch.
Two cables come out of the Home Hub. One goes to the lounge (where the new switch is now set up), and one goes to the office. When I got the extension built last year I got them to put two wall sockets in the office and run cables for me through the house.
Plugged into the wall socket in the office is a Belkin router (which used to be connected to Virgin Cable). That goes into the Internet/WAN port. Port 1 goes to my desktop PC (it doesn't have a wireless card). Ports 2 & 3 are spare, but I use them when configuring the network. The wireless network is called "Office" and provides good coverage to the back of the house and the top of our garden. Port 4 goes to the second wall socket and from there a cable goes up to the attic where there's a D-Link router. The cable is plugged in to port 1, three ports are free. That one provides better wifi down the garden but also means that if/when we decide to turn part of the attic into a room, then there's live network points ready.

So, I've not had to buy any new gear, but I've got wifi throughout the house and garden.
AO Platinum Member

Top mingebagging!

Must get around to adding my old BT router as a WAP/Bridge at some point. I wonder if I could use the power line adaptor to take the signal up to the summerhouse and plug it in there?
(Post Link) post #11 of 24 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'm not sure if it works with old BT routers. But I have one of those - Might try it later!

If your summerhouse shares the same distribution board as the rest of your house, and if possible the same ring main, then the power line adaptor will work.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
I've got a powerline adaptor in our office which is in a summer house in the garden. Works well and that's despite a pretty DIY, Heath Robinson electrical connection to the house.....
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
I've got a powerline adaptor in our office which is in a summer house in the garden. Works well and that's despite a pretty DIY, Heath Robinson electrical connection to the house.....
It's a cable reel in a carrier bag, innit?
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
It's a cable reel in a carrier bag, innit?
That would work!
AO Member

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
It's unusable if I don't configure each router correctly (funnily enough, my wife's iPad wouldn't connect onto the Home Hub last night, which may mean something is clashing somewhere)

Yes, only one is being used as a router - the Home Hub. The rest are being used as wireless access points/switches.
The house isn't big, but it is close to 200 years old. The interior & exterior walls downstairs are about 30cm thick, solid stone. That has a bit of an impact on wifi performance, particularly when the router is at the front right of the house and my office is in a new extensions on the back left.
Over the years i've built up a collection of routers, so rather than going out and buying wireless access points & switches, I use an undocumented feature of many routers - plug a network cable into port 1 and you have a switch.
Two cables come out of the Home Hub. One goes to the lounge (where the new switch is now set up), and one goes to the office. When I got the extension built last year I got them to put two wall sockets in the office and run cables for me through the house.
Plugged into the wall socket in the office is a Belkin router (which used to be connected to Virgin Cable). That goes into the Internet/WAN port. Port 1 goes to my desktop PC (it doesn't have a wireless card). Ports 2 & 3 are spare, but I use them when configuring the network. The wireless network is called "Office" and provides good coverage to the back of the house and the top of our garden. Port 4 goes to the second wall socket and from there a cable goes up to the attic where there's a D-Link router. The cable is plugged in to port 1, three ports are free. That one provides better wifi down the garden but also means that if/when we decide to turn part of the attic into a room, then there's live network points ready.

So, I've not had to buy any new gear, but I've got wifi throughout the house and garden.
Ahh I see, my dad had the same issue so I used two netgear routers.. I get the old Cisco routers / POE switches / WAP's from work so I just use them ..
AO Silver Member

You shouldn't be using the WAN port on the 2 routers that are acting as WAPs. By doing so you are putting the stuff connected to the LAN port and wireless in a different subnet so they won't talk to stuff connected to your Home Hub.
You can use the spare routers as WAPs / switches but switch off DHCP Server on everything apart from the Home Hub and use the LAN ports not WAN. Everything will then be on the same subnet and will see each other.
Does that make sense? It's difficult to explain.
AO Member

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
You shouldn't be using the WAN port on the 2 routers that are acting as WAPs. By doing so you are putting the stuff connected to the LAN port and wireless in a different subnet so they won't talk to stuff connected to your Home Hub.
You can use the spare routers as WAPs / switches but switch off DHCP Server on everything apart from the Home Hub and use the LAN ports not WAN. Everything will then be on the same subnet and will see each other.
Does that make sense? It's difficult to explain.
All depends really, if it's DSL then the format is RJ11 so it's impossible to do that. If cable or PPPOE type fibre, then just connect the other two routers to the main router via the inbuilt switch's via RJ45. Let the main router do DHCP and let the nodes do the SSID, it's all in the same VLAN unless otherwise configured so a case of let it do it's thang.

It's crazy I know but I have an internal MPLS network with a CME and a sip trunk for external calls because it cost's next to nothing for abroad. Multiple Vlan's trunked up to a FW for breakout point (Wireless, voice, DMZ). I was studying my CCIE and never took it down, just left it ..
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

BigGreenZebra, makes sense, as does Shadowamd's reply. I'm not too worried about things talking to each other, so I've not really noticed, but I might play around with it later.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
BigGreenZebra, makes sense, as does Shadowamd's reply. I'm not too worried about things talking to each other, so I've not really noticed, but I might play around with it later.
Thread subscribed for later, when everyone is going "whatever happened to WTFH?"
(Post Link) post #20 of 24 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'll post my answer using Tapatalk.
(Post Link) post #21 of 24 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well, it appears to have worked. Will do some more tests.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
That would work!
Put it this way, I daren't stretch my legs out under my desk, where the supply comes into the shed/building/summer house/office/international head quarters...!

But it works and cost nothing!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowamd View Post
All depends really, if it's DSL then the format is RJ11 so it's impossible to do that. If cable or PPPOE type fibre, then just connect the other two routers to the main router via the inbuilt switch's via RJ45. Let the main router do DHCP and let the nodes do the SSID, it's all in the same VLAN unless otherwise configured so a case of let it do it's thang.

It's crazy I know but I have an internal MPLS network with a CME and a sip trunk for external calls because it cost's next to nothing for abroad. Multiple Vlan's trunked up to a FW for breakout point (Wireless, voice, DMZ). I was studying my CCIE and never took it down, just left it ..
I daren't tell you how my network is set up suffice to say there is an enterprise level firewall with a fully utilised block of 5 routeable public IPs and 2 active site to site VPNs. I too have a SIP trunk and full IP PBX.
AO Member

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
I daren't tell you how my network is set up suffice to say there is an enterprise level firewall with a fully utilised block of 5 routeable public IPs and 2 active site to site VPNs. I too have a SIP trunk and full IP PBX.
Kool , you an engineer too? I'm an addict for buying second hand E-bay switches / routers / FW's etc..

Got an ASA up front, a 3700 behind it as I said with CME / Unified border element , a 5508 controlling the AP's round the house. Then a VMware cluster, with IVR / CUCM / Meeting place / Lync going into an etherchannel redundant pair of 3750 Poe's with Cisco phones, then into a 6500 chassis on the back where the MPLS is controlled and distributed. IBGP with eigrp redist, automatic black hole / spam filter via null BGP. Spanned back up to the ASA to a block of external's and a couple of site to site's for "LAN" parties .. That's just a small part of it LOL!>> Uber geek..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
geek , needed , network

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page