plasma, led or lcd tv ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

plasma, led or lcd tv ?

my telly's blown today, so i'm after a replacement

im not looking to spend a fortune, but i've seen all three types within my budget, and cant decide which one to go for.

can anyone point out the differences in quality etc, please?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Plasma tend to be more expensive to run. LED is about the cheapest.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Taking things like size, picture quality and longevity into account I'd go for LED every time. I'd probably avoid plasma as I've heard that they don't last quite as long as LCD or LED.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

LED does seem to be the new standard. Gives by far the thinnest, lightest of screens, and a very bright, vibrant display.

Of course you can get a good or poor example of any of the three technologies.

In case you haven't seen my recommendations elsewhere, have a look at Finlux, for top quality TVs that are much cheaper because of not having a big name brand.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I stand to be corrected on this, but "LED" TVs are just LCD screens with LED backlighting. True LED displays - OLED - are used for phones, tablets, etc., but are very much in their infancy as far as TVs are concerned, & very expensive.

LED backlighting makes the TV slimmer, but can give problems with uneven lighting across the screen.

County: Cork
Garage
I'd go for a quality LCD screen.

I'd also prioritise a decent refresh rate & plenty of connection ports (HDMI especially) over smart functions, you can always get smart functionality afterwards if you want to via a Blu-ray player, media player etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
I read somewhere that anything above 240hz is pointless because the human eye can't see it!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I stand to be corrected on this, but "LED" TVs are just LCD screens with LED backlighting. True LED displays - OLED - are used for phones, tablets, etc., but are very much in their infancy as far as TVs are concerned, & very expensive.

LED backlighting makes the TV slimmer, but can give problems with uneven lighting across the screen.
This is correct as far as I know. A good test for an LED backlight screen is to look at a blank screen picture. It shouldn't have any excessively bright patches around the edges or corners. The more you pay the better the result. It's only picky stuff though, the cheaper sets still have picture quality we could only dream of a few years ago. Bazza's Finlux TV was reviewed on The Gadget Show and came out very well against a much dearer Samsung with less features.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 11-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

cheers chaps - it's looking like it'll be an LCD jobbie then

on the positive side, i took the back off the broken TV and it looks like a few capacitors have gone. I did a quick search and can get them all for less than a fiver, so when i've got time i'll replace them and see what happens; if it works, then i'll have a nice big telly for the bedroom and will let my daughter have our smaller one!
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Im a plasma man purely for movies and gaming. Does the job and longevity? is a non issue if you dont abuse it like most things
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
For best picture quality it's got to be LED. You can find that if your a sports fan and watching football the picture can ghost in fast action, (don't have this problem when watching Leeds United though). Plasmas are good but much thicker made and heavier. Just check some reviews on Amazon and make your choice.

County: Cork
Garage
AV forums is also worth a look for reviews, advice & sometimes even recommended settings from other users who have calibrated their TV
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
AV forums is also worth a look for reviews, advice & sometimes even recommended settings from other users who have calibrated their TV
Much better choice than biased Amazon reviews ...

For me Plasma, anytime.
Movies just look better.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Used to have a plasma. Don't have it any more. Too big, too heavy.
Have got a 27" LCD in one room and a 32" LED in another room. The physical box is the same rectangle, but the LED has a bigger screen cause it goes right to the edge. The LCD one weighs in at 18kg, the LED is closer to 3kg
Now, if you are thinking of wall mounting, I'd sooner mount a 3kg TV on the wall than an 18kg one!

So, it's 32" LG smart TV. That means we don't need any extra boxes to watch BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc, and you can record from it onto a hard disk. Just plug it in to the network and it's all set. We can even control it from iPads. It's got a built in Freeview HD tuner.
I think it was something like £350 from Richer Sounds.

We don't play games, and we don't watch movies every night of the week. It's just a TV that we use to watch TV shows on and sometimes watch films.
It does a very good job.

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossca View Post
For best picture quality it's got to be LED. You can find that if your a sports fan and watching football the picture can ghost in fast action, (don't have this problem when watching Leeds United though). Plasmas are good but much thicker made and heavier.
Eh? Why must it be LED? Plasmas generally are regarded as having the 'best' picture quality due to deeper blacks and none of the ghosting associated with budget LCD screens (whether backlit by LED or CCFL.)

Each has it's pros and cons, if you just want to watch TV and aren't a home cinema aficionado or gadget geek then buy something that's reasonably cheap.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

thanks again for all the advice, but i surprised myself and managed to fix the blown telly today

i will keep all the advice in mind for when i move into a new house after this repair inevitably burns this one down, lol.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Id go LED. I have one at my shop and i also have a LCD in my room. LED has by far the better picture quality

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
If you are looking to wall mount any TV, rather than have them on stands - then a very important feature I wish I had been aware of before my last purchase is the layout of the SCART inputs on the TV itself.

I purchased a super thin LED LG TV which unfortunately has the SCART socket in a very slightly recessed rear facing position - so in order to plug in any SCART cable you need to mount it a good 2 inches away from the wall as the SCART lead connector needs the space (even for a right angled connector).

So I checked my other wall mounted TV (Samsung) as I didnt recall having a similar problem with that, and it has a downward facing heavily recessed SCART port which makes life a lot easier.

For anything you intend to wall mount - you need to either have no SCART connectors, or ensure every interface is pointing down or sideways rather than rearwards.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I don't know the answer to this, and don't have the time to check on your behalf Fred - but I wonder if it's possible to buy low-interference SCART cables to combat this exact problem?

Might be worth a quick scan on Amazon.
AO Member

County: Essex
as said, the led ones are the ones to buy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
lcd , led , plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page