Windows phone running costs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-13 Thread Starter

County: Kent
Windows phone running costs

I just replaced my appalling Samsung pay-as-you-go emergency mobile with a nice Nokia Lumia 520 but having had only one call since topping it up £10 I'm now down to 12p . What am I buying from T mobile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

Have you got Data Connection switched on? You can find it in settings | mobile network (assuming it's like my 620).
O2 were charging me £1 per day for it so I switched that option off.

(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-13 Thread Starter

I had some feedback setting on like that .

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi Ti

I've got the Lumia 920 but got the unlimited plan so not sure what my usage is. Make sure that if you have other settings like photo uploads on, they are set to wifi only. It's also worth stopping background tasks or turning the data connection off unless you want it as suggested above. Data usage is one of the benefits of most smartphones but if you have a wifi connection available, use that and just turn it on for e-mail checking occasionally when no wifi available. Having said that, I'm not aware of it being any more data hungry than most other phones (be aware if there are any phone software updates that you only use Wifi as they can be quite big). We get lots of calls about the Galaxy "Ace" running out of memory, but most 520 calls are setup calls as they are just learning the system.

Edit:
Having re-read the above, I assume e-mail isn't a priority on it then! Turning off unwanted features will also benefit battery life.
CobolMan

I can easily get 4 days battery life out of my 620 but then I have data, wifi and bluetooth switched off for most of the time.

(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-13 Thread Starter

I just spoke to a lady from the tmobile , at a cost of 25pence, who told me it costs a pound a day for the calls to update the phone ?
She disabled this function and refunded the 25p after I questioned the suitability of a smartphone for my use and paying as I go.
Apparently "that's why it comes with a handbook"

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I just spoke to a lady from the tmobile , at a cost of 25pence, who told me it costs a pound a day for the calls to update the phone ?
She disabled this function and refunded the 25p after I questioned the suitability of a smartphone for my use and paying as I go.
Apparently "that's why it comes with a handbook"
Ummm yeah, the phone doesn't make calls to update itself... Not sure where she got that idea from - it would be data usage. Was it a UK call centre? Either way, they need more training. Having said that, so do sales people in asking the right questions and setting up the phones accordingly - we get lots of calls from people with inappropriate phones (admittedly some will have walked in and said "I need an xxxxx") they don't know how to use. Is it so hard to try them out instore before ordering them so at least you have an idea?!?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > The Technology Section

Tags
costs , phone , running , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page