One for Laptop Matt? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 27-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Help One for Laptop Matt?

So, we have a laptop that we are either gonna upgrade or scrap. It runs slow and really needs something done
The spec at the moment is
It's and Advent K4000, CELERON 530 1.7GHZ, 2Gb Mem, Windows Vista.

So is it worthwhile getting 4gb mem, upgrading to Windows 7? (It only has 2 mem slots hence 4gb only)
Also is it possible to swap out the processor for something a bit more beefier.

The memory upgrade and SW upgrade I can handle myself, but if it can take a processor swap, I'd probably have to hand it ovr to someone.

So Matt, what do you think?

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/group...fa+owners.html

also on ****ter @alfamack
Will always be
No 1
on the GIT LIST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I upgraded by parents laptop to 4gb and got rid of that nasty Vista for Win 7 and it certainly helped.

The slowest component on old laptops tends to be the hard disks. Normal hard disks spin at 7200rpm and business class ones in expensive kit can spin at 10,000rpm or higher.

Old Laptop drives at the lower end of the market tend to spin at a slow 5400 rpm. If you are upgrading anything else you will get more bang for your buck in investing in a solid state drive (SSD) to replace the hard drive rather than anything else. Prices are falling all the time.

I bought a SSD for my parents laptop and when it eventually died and they bought another cheap one, the SSD went into the new cheap one and improved that as well.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Alfamack - what you using it for?
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 28-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Wife really needs it for running a new teaching program, "Maths makes sense" also used for MS Office and general browsing.
We've a netbook but that doesn't have the CD rom to load the program onto it.
And I know I could buy a external drive to get the program onto it.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
Wife really needs it for running a new teaching program, "Maths makes sense" also used for MS Office and general browsing.
We've a netbook but that doesn't have the CD rom to load the program onto it.
And I know I could buy a external drive to get the program onto it.
You could also probably copy the cd to a cheap USB stick and install it onto the netbook from the USB stick unless the cd has some sophisticated anti piracy stuff on it.

Vista was probably the worst operating system Microsoft ever released and I've seen them all in the last 20 odd years as part of my job. It made things worse rather than better so I'd get rid of Vista ASAP.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Vista is schite. Go back to XP if you can.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The laptop I got from Laptop Matt is fantastic, thats with XP too. The solid state hard drive is awesome, can't believe how quickly it loads. It also plays Call of Duty MW2 at full graphics with barely any reduction in framerate. For 300-odd its one of the best purchases I've made
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
So, we have a laptop that we are either gonna upgrade or scrap. It runs slow and really needs something done
The spec at the moment is
It's and Advent K4000, CELERON 530 1.7GHZ, 2Gb Mem, Windows Vista.

So is it worthwhile getting 4gb mem, upgrading to Windows 7? (It only has 2 mem slots hence 4gb only)
Also is it possible to swap out the processor for something a bit more beefier.

The memory upgrade and SW upgrade I can handle myself, but if it can take a processor swap, I'd probably have to hand it ovr to someone.

So Matt, what do you think?
Stuarts right about the SSD they make a big difference. I cant wait until they all have them when the price comes down.

I have upgraded the single core Intel Celeron 530 processors to dual core Intel Core 2 Duo (1 below an i5) before but It just depends on what support your motherboard\chipset has.

We have hundreds of spare processors and I normally start with the best chip and work down until I find one that works.

Celeron\i3 processors are cheap because they have a lot less cache memory which is very expensive to produce. If you can get a Core 2 in it you will replace the missing cache memory which will make a big improvement.

Have you tried reinstalling windows as this normally speeds up the computer no end (back to how it was new). There is only so much you can do with a tired operating system on a fragmented partition.

It wont be memory slowing it down, to a point anyway.

At the moment vista is probaby using 1GB Ram to load up leaving 1GB free which is probably 10 website tabs open at once.
Adding 4GB will not speed up windows loading time but it will mean that you have 3GB free allowing 30 websites tabs open at once, as an example.

It wont do any harm upgrading to 4GB but i think you'll be disappointed with the result.

If you were my customer id recommend a reinstall with the latest manufacturer drivers and take it to 3GB for good measure. If you have the money, upgrade to Win 7 too.
If there was some excuse to strip the laptop ie blocked fan & heatsink with dust\fluff it might be worth taking the board out and fitting a better processor. A waste of time on its own though.

Thats a point actualy, if your laptop is running hot intel processors clock down to save themselves from overheating. The fan\heatsink starts gathering fluff and dust.
Its a good feature in a way as AMD's dont have this and get hotter and hotter and DIE!

Cheeky link to my website with more info on this subject:
UKSL Laptops Ltd - Laptop Overheating Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The laptop I got from Laptop Matt is fantastic, thats with XP too. The solid state hard drive is awesome, can't believe how quickly it loads. It also plays Call of Duty MW2 at full graphics with barely any reduction in framerate. For 300-odd its one of the best purchases I've made
Nice one Dan, but stop playing COD and do some work

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Cheers Matt,
Found the following online
CPUIntel Celeron M 530 (1.73 GHz)BIOSPhoenix BIOS. Press F2 to enterChipsetIntel GL960 Express

I am basically going to do a back-up of the filees I need to keep, remove all the photo's onto CD's and then defrag it, and then re-install windows.
At the same time I will get some additional memory, I will see if I can get a new processor to fit but that will be with a few bits of research.
Cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
laptop , matt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page