0844 International Calling. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

0844 International Calling.

Due to have my BT Infinty installed a week from now, looking forward to that !

One downside is that I have now lost the BT Softphone ( basically VOIP ) and have to look at some other way to call overseas Mobiles, mainly Cyprus, from my Landline.

There are lots of companies offering this sort of service from about half a pence a minute. How it works is that you dial an 0844 number, wait for a new dial tone and then dial the number you want, it's all VOIP of course.

Given the number of companies offering this service and the potential for being ripped off can anyone recommend one of these places ?

Or another solution to save me having to pay BT 0.54 pm !

Thanks,

Nige.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Skype?
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Skype?
Thanks for the suggestion Dan.

For some reason my son does not want to use Skype, I don't know why, so I'm stuck with a normal LL to Mob call.

It's alright for him, he has an iPhone with something called, I think, Vibre ? so he's OK but as I don't have a Smart Phone and have no intention of getting one I'm stuck.

Call me a luddite, I'm happy with that ! Mind you he's just bought me an Android Tablet so I have to get to grips with that, hours of fun. Seems that there is no way I can get cheap calls using this.

As an aside I do have Skype on this Tablet but the incoming volume is very very low, seems it is a problem with this OS, unless someone knows different...........

Cheers.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
If he has an iphone he can just download the Skype app and then you should be able to have free voice calls (possibly video) through that as long as you both have WiFi connections. You can use Skype either on your Pc/laptop or the new android tablet you've got.

That definitely seems the most logical thing to do. I think even the Skype app for iPhones is free too.

Is he aware he can get it to work on his iPhone rather than PC/laptop with a headset?
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
If he has an iphone he can just download the Skype app and then you should be able to have free voice calls (possibly video) through that as long as you both have WiFi connections. You can use Skype either on your Pc/laptop or the new android tablet you've got.

That definitely seems the most logical thing to do. I think even the Skype app for iPhones is free too.

Is he aware he can get it to work on his iPhone rather than PC/laptop with a headset?

Thanks Dan, snag is he just won't use Skype to Skype. He's very switched on with these things so he has everything on his iPads, iPhone and gawd knows what else !

But you have given me an idea. To make a normal call from Skype to a 'phone isn't free but you can pay for this, I'll have a look at the subscription rates, might be a good solution.

Cheers.

EDIT.

Just looked at Skype rates, works out at 5.4 Pence a minute on payg so the 0844 providers seem a better deal if I can find one that I can trust.

Last edited by Nige005; 15-05-13 at 09:39.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Viber or FaceTime. Get yourself an ipad.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Just get a voip hard phone Understanding VoIP Hard Phones - For Dummies

Plenty of cheap ones about.
Unregistered

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

MarMiTo 955

Saynoto0870 website will give you an alternative landline/freephone number if there is one
and other information
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Use Skype out or VoiPcheap. Prepay 10 pounds and get cheap calls to landlines or mobiles. Basically the same as your old BT service but you use you PC (or smartphone on wifi) and the person you call uses their normal phone. I have used VoiPcheap for years.

http://www.voipcheap.com
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 16-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
Viber or FaceTime. Get yourself an ipad.
My son does use Viber but my 'phone will not support it and if I'm honest I'm not really keen on a Smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Just get a voip hard phone Understanding VoIP Hard Phones - For Dummies

Plenty of cheap ones about.
This may be the way forward but how would I connect a 'phone to my Infinity internet ? As I understand it I'll be getting a BT HH3 which I'm pretty sure does not have any connection for any kind of 'phone and a modem which I know nothing at all about. Maybe things will become clearer when I actually have the kit installed next Wednesday.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996 View Post
Saynoto0870 website will give you an alternative landline/freephone number if there is one
and other information
Nope, a no go on this one I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Use Skype out or VoiPcheap. Prepay 10 pounds and get cheap calls to landlines or mobiles. Basically the same as your old BT service but you use you PC (or smartphone on wifi) and the person you call uses their normal phone. I have used VoiPcheap for years.

Make affordable (even free) calls to phones worldwide - VoipCheap
I'll look into this VoiPcheap, sounds like it is what I need, only slight problem is that it is PC based at my end but that's not the end of the world. I wonder if there is an app I could use on my newly acquired Android Tablet that would support this ?

Thanks very much to every one who has replied, your help and advice is much appreciated and when I sort mysef out I'll be back and let you know. Meanwhile any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks again folks.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

There is an app for android. I use that also.

Look for the big star on the web page I linked that says mobile app available here.

Last edited by 100th_Idiot; 16-05-13 at 21:07.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 17-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
There is an app for android. I use that also.

Look for the big star on the web page I linked that says mobile app available here.
I'll check that out again, had a quick look yesterday and became confused !
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
There's a free app for BT customers called smart talk.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

An 0844 service I've used is:

Cheap International Calls | DialToSave

I like 'em because you don't set up an account or give them any info at all, just dial their service then the number you want; and they've always charged what I expected, which is 1 or 2p on top of the local call charge.

Also, they're based in London at Mornington Crescent, so I could go there on a diagonal move if I wanted.
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 17-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
There's a free app for BT customers called smart talk.
Simon, I'm still trying to get my head around Apps. Bear in mind that the only " Smart " device I have is an Android Tablet which I have just managed to switch on......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
An 0844 service I've used is:

Cheap International Calls | DialToSave

I like 'em because you don't set up an account or give them any info at all, just dial their service then the number you want; and they've always charged what I expected, which is 1 or 2p on top of the local call charge.

Also, they're based in London at Mornington Crescent, so I could go there on a diagonal move if I wanted.
I'll take a look, thanks.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Get a proper VOIP phone (plugs in to LAN port on router) and use a cheap provider like Draytel or Voiptalk. IIRC billing is in seconds with no minimum call or set up cost. Can work out much cheaper.
If your son installed a soft phone app and signed up with same provider then you will get free calls. He doesn't need to put any credit on the account.

Ghosty posted a link above.
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 19-05-13 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Get a proper VOIP phone (plugs in to LAN port on router) and use a cheap provider like Draytel or Voiptalk. IIRC billing is in seconds with no minimum call or set up cost. Can work out much cheaper.
If your son installed a soft phone app and signed up with same provider then you will get free calls. He doesn't need to put any credit on the account.

Ghosty posted a link above.

Thanks bgz, still considering everything suggested. Not had much time to do anything for the last few days as I've been busy playing with a new car !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
0844 , calling , international

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page