iPod help needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 28-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
iPod help needed

the family PC has finally died on its arse (good riddance), so i bought a new one yesterday

i've installed itunes on it, my question is how do i copy all the 60Gb worth of music over from my ipod? i'm terrified that if i plug the ipod in, it'll sync with the empty itunes and wipe all the content off it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
I had a bit of software called iPod rip that worked for this.
If itunes opens when you conect the iPod, it won't synch to zero without you clicking in a request box first.
At least on a mac, can't believe it would on a pc either.

Let me google that for you

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
If you are talking old iPod you simply access it as a disk. You'll find it contains loads and loads of randomly named .mp3 and similar files. Copy them to a new folder on your PC. Add the folder to your iTunes library and import. Should have everything you had on iPod. iTunes doesn't care about file names, just the tags.
After you have got your music back on PC you can wipe the iPod.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
If you are talking old iPod you simply access it as a disk. You'll find it contains loads and loads of randomly named .mp3 and similar files. Copy them to a new folder on your PC. Add the folder to your iTunes library and import. Should have everything you had on iPod. iTunes doesn't care about file names, just the tags.
Cheers, I never realised that Used some third party thing before now whose name I forget.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:

What BGZ said

If you cant see the file you have to enable the bit on the pc that says 'show hidden files'

Open up My Computer. Under Devices With Removable Storage, double-click and open your iPod.
Click on Tools at the top of the window then select Folder Options.
Under the View tab, find the subfolder called Hidden files and folders.
Select Show hidden files and folders then Click OK.

Couple of links if you get stuck or give us a ring and I'll tell you how

3 Ways to Copy Music from Your iPod to Your Computer - wikiHow

How To transfer music from your iPod to your PC - PC Advisor
(Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 03-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

cheers gents. it's quite old, an 80gb classic like the one in the pic. bought it in early 2007. is it the right age to do all the gubbins listed above?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipod.jpg (49.1 KB, 3 views)
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I would think so Al
AO Silver Member

That should work as described. It's only iPod Touch that is problematic.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quote:
Which was a real PITA when it renamed most of my CD-Ripped music collection as UNKNOWN ARTIST/UNKNOWN ALBUM.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milowokie View Post
Which was a real PITA when it renamed most of my CD-Ripped music collection as UNKNOWN ARTIST/UNKNOWN ALBUM.
Ah, that's a bit ****.
(Post Link) post #11 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

only just got round to doing this. what a faff - had to go on youtube and follow this 'how to' guide to get it done on windows 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugfVBiBOys

very difficult when you've got a 2013 computer, operated by a 1971 user, trying to shove stuff onto a 2007 ipod whilst half full of 2009 rioja. [email protected] bloody technology.
fredzedex likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

next question...

what do i do with my iphone? it's only got 16gb of memory so obviously i can't sync it with the same itunes as the ipod as there's about 60gb of music in there. i want some music on it though - how do i do this?
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Plug your phone in, stop it syncing automatically, drag and drop whatever music you want into your iPhone icon. Think its top right
(Post Link) post #14 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

give me 5 mins, it's all your fault if i break the internet
AO Silver Member

Turn off auto sync and just drag some music to it manually.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
next question...

what do i do with my iphone? it's only got 16gb of memory so obviously i can't sync it with the same itunes as the ipod as there's about 60gb of music in there. i want some music on it though - how do i do this?

You use the same iTunes account, but create a playlist on it called iPhone (or something like that). Then you set your iPhone to sync music with that playlist. Just add the music you want on your iPhone to that playlist.
(Post Link) post #17 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

i think i'm gonna buy a record player
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Al, have you considered backing up to the cloud?
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

now you're just taking the p iss
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Quote:
now you're just taking the p iss
I am.
(Post Link) post #21 of 33 Old 02-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

i've got that bt cloud thing with about eleventy squillion gigabytes for free. tried it once, flew into a rage after about 3 minutes and haven't touched it since.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
i've got that bt cloud thing with about eleventy squillion gigabytes for free. tried it once, flew into a rage after about 3 minutes and haven't touched it since.
You are Alan Turing and I claim my 5 !
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
next question...

Plug your iPhone in.
On iTunes select the device e.g Aca's iPhone.
Along the top you should see a list of menu options, Summary, Info, apps, Music, Films etc. etc
Select Music.
There will be a 'radio' button with the title Entire Music Libray.
Select the button below - Selected playlists, artists....

You have the option of either or combination of Playlists, Artists, Genres and Albums. Just tick what stuff you want on the phone.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

[whispers]Use WinAmp[/whispers]

Ditch iTunes.
AO Gold Member

Save me starting a new thread - I also have a question regarding iPods, iTunes and MP3 twaddle.

I have had a 16GB iPod Nano for many a year and I use it in my car. I don't have much music on it, but I do use iTunes to download Podcasts mainly from BBC so I can pretend I am in the UK when driving along in my car out here.

Any-road-up.... I've lost my Nano. Don't know where, but it's gone walkies. One of the kids probably fed it into a crack in the pavement or used it as Nerf practice ammo.

So I need a new device for my podcasting. As you can imagine, sound quality and HiFi pre-eminence is not a requirement for listening to Football Weekly, The News Quiz etc.

I tried to go and buy a replacement Nano when in the UK over Xmas, but (a) they only do 16GB ones and I was already out of space on the old one before I lost it, and (b) they wanted something stupid like 130 quid for a new one. I was offered an iPod Touch with 64GB, but that was 200+ quid

I wandered into John Lewis looking for an alternative MP3 player, but was met by two Burton Suited spot-festerers who looked at me like I was from Mars and said "Do you mean an Ipod Touch or an iPhone?" and I said "No - I'd like an alternative MP3 player please" and they fainted and then said "We certainly don't stock any, maybe you can look online [grandad]" (The last bit was implied by tone rather than spoken out loud). They then returned to stroking the Apple products while simpering over a photo of Steve Jobs.

Now I like an Apple product as much as the next gullible tart, but I really don't need sleek design for what I want in this instance. I'm a proud owner of an iMac, a MacBook, two AppleTV units, several iPads and an iPhone6 (wife's). I also own an old 80GB Video iPod that stays in the UK, sits in a sound dock and holds my entire music collection - but none of these things is right for knocking around on my arm rest in my car out here with a load of BBC podcasts on it occasionally being cooked to 50 degrees+ when I leave it in the car in the sun. My own phone is a blackberry and I am sticking with it til work buy me a replacement, but even if I had my own iPhone I would always be leaving it in the car when I needed it so I want to separate my own phone from my car podcasts workhorse.

I know I can go online and buy something else (like a Sony) - but then I'm into the whole iTunes ease-of-use dilemma.... I have subscribed to all my desirable podcasts on iTunes and every week it simply and reliably downloads the latest podcasts, sticks them into my library and I just have to remember to plug my (now lost) Nano into the iMac once per week for 5 minutes and it all syncs up and I'm off and running again.

I like iTunes for that. I hate it for many other things (endless updates, limits on connected devices, strange omissions of albums from it's store etc) but I love it for that.

So - I'm left with some options:

1. Buy a new Nano and sod the cost/16GB limit
2. Buy a new Touch or iPhone and sod the cost (a lot!) to get more storage
3. Buy an alternative MP3 player and connect it seamlessly to iTunes like my old Nano (bet that's not possible)
4. Buy an alternative MP3 player and use a similarly natty piece of software as automated and reliable as iTunes that can also load up the back catalogue of podcasts I currently have in iTunes
5. Buy an alternative MP3 player and sod around with some 3rd party piece of software that will drive me mad with frustration every week as I have to copy files around and reformat them to load them onto the MP3 player without overwriting everything else.

It's going to be a choice between 1,2 and 5 isn't it..... The answer I want is 3 or 4

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ipod , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page