Sat Nav depreciation ....??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

SCGT

Not Happy Sat Nav depreciation ....???

Bought a tomtom go710 about four years ago ....pulled it out it's box to set up for the journey to Preston for the GT meet ...This cost £230 at the time .....checked eBay and they now sell for around £30 average in new with all accessories condition..............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

keithyboy

There have probably been 23 new models with a host of "improvements" since you hought it.

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Bought a tomtom go710 about four years ago ....pulled it out it's box to set up for the journey to Preston for the GT meet ...This cost £230 at the time .....checked eBay and they now sell for around £30 average in new with all accessories condition..............
Imagine how much a two thousand quid optional satnav on a new car in 2009 would add to its value now!
Spacecadet

Stand alone sat nav is dying. A smartphone can do the same with live traffic, accident aware etc for about £3 for a decent app.

Why buy a standalone?

crazycarb

Many new cars have them inbuilt now, so no need for stand alones. I bought a Navman from Curries 3years ago for 60 quid and it still serves me well.

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Stand alone sat nav is dying. A smartphone can do the same with live traffic, accident aware etc for about £3 for a decent app.

Why buy a standalone?
apple iphone 64 gb £700

2013 tomtom via live europe off ebay £60

that's why
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
apple iphone 64 gb £700

2013 tomtom via live europe off ebay £60

that's why
True, but most people now have a smart phone anyway. So, remove the handset price which you'd have paid anyway, the app is the only cost. Plus, doesn't need quarterly map updates, or separate subs for traffic. All comes bundled within live data.

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Out of interest we tried using the iPhone app in parallel with the tomtom last week and the phone would have been ok if it did not ask for "feedback " all the time !
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
i phones don't have built in navigation. I bought the same tomtom as SCGT for the same price. Never used it after I had a phone with nav on it (Sony C905) shortly after. I gave it to my son. He uses it on longer trips when his waze app drives him nuts.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Waze on iPhone in parallel with TomTom shows that Waze is better. Better traffic detection, better police location, better maps. The really neat thing about Waze maps is that unless you have driven on it, it is pretty hard to put it on the map. Waze is the only sat nav to correctly identify a dead end near us - because no one can drive it. Not sure why Waze would drive you nuts - the only quibble I have is that the voice commands are a bit quiet in comparison to the music that is streaming from the same device.

The costs are a bit more evenly balanced:

- iPhone4 16 GB on eBay - £233. Waze - free. I'm assuming you have a mobile contract already.

- second hand TomTom - 60. Map updates - 40 per annum. Traffic updates - 40 per annum.

So after two years, the iPhone is winning. It is also a better concept. No more worrying that some scrote has broken into your car to steal the TomTom. No more ferreting around when you get in to set the destination - you've already done that while walking to the car. Copying postcodes straight from an email to the device. Last mile navigation - the Waze map will get you the last 500 yards from the car park etc etc.

Everyone I know with an in car system binned it for a TomTom, and the same people are now going smartphone.
AO Platinum Member

Got a Garmin for Xmas a few years ago, will not replace it just keep doing updates to the mapping and firmware. I prefer a dedicated sat nav, what happens if you get a call on your phone ? does it still navigate ?
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Yes it still navigates when you get a call. I'm quite impressed that the iPhone can stream music, navigate and handle a call, all at the same time.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Waze on iPhone in parallel with TomTom shows that Waze is better. Better traffic detection, better police location, better maps. The really neat thing about Waze maps is that unless you have driven on it, it is pretty hard to put it on the map. Waze is the only sat nav to correctly identify a dead end near us - because no one can drive it. Not sure why Waze would drive you nuts - the only quibble I have is that the voice commands are a bit quiet in comparison to the music that is streaming from the same device.

The costs are a bit more evenly balanced:

- iPhone4 16 GB on eBay - £233. Waze - free. I'm assuming you have a mobile contract already.

- second hand TomTom - 60. Map updates - 40 per annum. Traffic updates - 40 per annum.

So after two years, the iPhone is winning. It is also a better concept. No more worrying that some scrote has broken into your car to steal the TomTom. No more ferreting around when you get in to set the destination - you've already done that while walking to the car. Copying postcodes straight from an email to the device. Last mile navigation - the Waze map will get you the last 500 yards from the car park etc etc.

Everyone I know with an in car system binned it for a TomTom, and the same people are now going smartphone.
Always had Garmin, thought about TomTom but can't see the appeal. I've got pedestrian mode on the sat nav so I can take it away from the car and use it as a kind of tourist guide.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I generally use the nav free app, is waze much better?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Idea

hmmmm
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
hmmmm
Bladeh taxes eh SiF

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
depreciation , nav , sat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page