Squeezebox Touch replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Squeezebox Touch replacement

My Squeezebox Touch gave up the ghost a couple of weeks back.

Initially, I had high hopes of a replacement under warranty. Reading AVForums, I found a guy who had exactly the same problem, and Logitech replaced a 3 year old unit - mine is 2 and a half.

For some reason I can't fathom though, they're refusing to do the same for me.
I have made an appeal for fairness, but I'd guess it's not looking good.

Assuming that they refuse, and bearing in mind that the Squeezebox is, ridiculously, no longer made or supported, what alternatives are out there?

I actually have possession of a Cambridge Stream Magic 6 - as I was a Beta tester. In a lot of ways it is better than the Squeezebox - it's completely over-specced for my needs. Given its value (sells for £700! ), the over-specced-ness, and it not matching the Squeezebox for flexibility, I was going to sell it once I was sure no further testing was required. Maybe now it's the best solution I'll get though.

The Sonos Connect seems to tick most boxes (and not as expensive as I'd assumed Sonos stuff would be). But no headphone out. No screen.

Any tips?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RSK

Bazza,

if you're already used to working with network shares/shared folders on a PC then the Sonos will be a doddle. I went from 3 x Squeezeboxes to a Sonos system and now have two Connects, two Fives and a Three and they are fantastic.

The lack of a screen is an irrelevance assuming you have either an Android or iOS phone or tablet as these are now the preferred controllers since Sonos stopped making their own overpriced one.

Similarly assuming that you are replacing your unamplified Touch with the unamplified Connect then the lack of headphone socket should also not prove an issue as I assume your amplifier and or DAC will have a headphone output.

(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Oh yeah, it'll be fine when attached to the hifi.

The great benefit of the headphone out was that I could take it, a USB drive, and a pair of computer speakers, and have a very portable system with all of my music on it.

I have the iPhone app for my Squeezebox, but still used the touchscreen itself quite a bit - convenient if you're in the same room anyway. I do agree though, it's not a necessity. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there which matched the Squeezebox features more exactly.

Actually - here's a question (except I don't know the right terminology to use):
Does the Sonos have its own in-built software? Or does it use software installed on the PC used as a server to run the media library?
I ask because I seem to remember the Squeezebox does the latter, and this means that it can't simply access a network drive full of mp3 files on the same LAN (although it can access the same drive if it's connected directly to the unit via USB, which I never quite understood. Maybe I was doing something wrong!)
I guess the real question I'm asking is: Can the Sonos access files on a USB drive plugged into the router? No need for a PC on the LAN to also be turned on? That would be a definite bonus.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Buy another squeezeboc touch off ebay?

It does what you want, it fits in with your other gear, then have a good think about other systems to futureproof yourself. I looked at SONOS but it is very expensive, and i've got a different take on it in another thread which to me seems the most flexible because it doesn't tie you in to any single manufacturer.
(Post Link) post #5 of 26 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

They cost more than the new price now, because of the demand and lack of supply. Coupled with which - who knows how long Logitech will continue to support with the squeezebox software and web service? If I can get the current one replaced under warranty it's a no-brainer. If I have to pay upwards of £300 for it, then it's another thing entirely.

What's this other thread with a different approach?
RSK

Hi Bazza,

As you rightly say SB was reliant on a piece of server software and hence needed a machine on and running it.

Sonos doesn't need any server software and instead is built on using PC or network shares. They are ideally meant to be used with network attached storage devices, assuming your router can take a USB drive it will in effect become a NAS and will work just fine.

The downside of Sonos vs SBT is that being tied to a NAS they are inherently less portable than an SBT which was unique amongst the SB range in that it could play files directly from USB thus bypassing ant need for a server at all.

Price wise Sonos is not as much as people think now and an unamplified connect can be picked up for approx £250. Assuming you plug this directly into your router via Ethernet you won't even need to fork out the extra £40 for the Sonos bridge.

There's nothing really like the SBT around anymore.

As a left field suggestion have a look at the Cocktail Audio x10. It's an all one box with screen which rips, stores,plays and serves. I've been playing with one for a couple of months and it has potential.

Would still recommend Sonos to anyone though as it's easy to use, well supported, simple to expand and gives great sound quality.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

What's this other thread with a different approach?

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-t...er-review.html
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Hi Bazza,

As you rightly say SB was reliant on a piece of server software and hence needed a machine on and running it.

Sonos doesn't need any server software and instead is built on using PC or network shares. They are ideally meant to be used with network attached storage devices, assuming your router can take a USB drive it will in effect become a NAS and will work just fine.

The downside of Sonos vs SBT is that being tied to a NAS they are inherently less portable than an SBT which was unique amongst the SB range in that it could play files directly from USB thus bypassing ant need for a server at all.

Price wise Sonos is not as much as people think now and an unamplified connect can be picked up for approx £250. Assuming you plug this directly into your router via Ethernet you won't even need to fork out the extra £40 for the Sonos bridge.

There's nothing really like the SBT around anymore.

As a left field suggestion have a look at the Cocktail Audio x10. It's an all one box with screen which rips, stores,plays and serves. I've been playing with one for a couple of months and it has potential.

Would still recommend Sonos to anyone though as it's easy to use, well supported, simple to expand and gives great sound quality.
For my intended use id need 4 connects and a bridge, the audio relay i use costs £200 less than a connect and does the same thing using dnla which isnt proprietary, freeing me up to use any equipment with the relay.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
There is a community project for a replacement piece of hardware on the slim devices forum. It uses some kind of low power board
Community Squeeze OS R3

A Raspberry Pi with Squeezeplug installed and a USB DAC will also do the job. I have been playing around with one for a few weeks now using HDMI output (havent tried my DAC yet).
(Post Link) post #10 of 26 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Actually, the other question (I've only just thought of) is - I assume the PSU is fried in the Touch. Could that be replaced?
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
For my intended use id need 4 connects and a bridge, the audio relay i use costs £200 less than a connect and does the same thing using dnla which isnt proprietary, freeing me up to use any equipment with the relay.
Tightwad

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
There is a community project for a replacement piece of hardware on the slim devices forum. It uses some kind of low power board
Community Squeeze OS R3

A Raspberry Pi with Squeezeplug installed and a USB DAC will also do the job. I have been playing around with one for a few weeks now using HDMI output (havent tried my DAC yet).
Theres also a raspberry pi version of minidlna
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Tightwad
£800 to spend on proper gear rather than a wifi speaker
(Post Link) post #14 of 26 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The solution in your link looks very interesting GD - but I don't understand at least half of the things you say about it!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Theres also a raspberry pi version of minidlna
We have had this discussion before Sean. DLNA is rubbish compared to Squeezebox and being non proprietary also means that there is no proper standard. I have no experience of Sonos but understand it to also be far superior to DLNA/uPnP.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
We have had this discussion before Sean. DLNA is rubbish compared to Squeezebox and being non proprietary also means that there is no proper standard. I have no experience of Sonos but understand it to also be far superior to DLNA/uPnP.
Seems okay to me, works perfectly fine with my setup and you shoud caveat what you say with in your opinion, because thats what it is, it meets your needs, it doesnt meet mine
AO Silver Member

Unless you have owned one you can't know but a Squeezebox setup is just miles better than DLNA.
(Post Link) post #18 of 26 Old 15-04-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I may have spoken too soon. It looks like Logitech may have taken pity on me and agreed to replace.
(Post Link) post #19 of 26 Old 08-05-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Well, after a plaintive letter, Logitech came through and replaced my Squeezebox

So, with a refreshed unit, I've thought maybe I should re-think how I use it. Currently I generally just bang it on random as a convenience.

What other funky stuff should I be doing with it?
VO2Max

Was that a plaintive letter, or a plaintiff letter Bazza?

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Well, after a plaintive letter, Logitech came through and replaced my Squeezebox

So, with a refreshed unit, I've thought maybe I should re-think how I use it. Currently I generally just bang it on random as a convenience.

What other funky stuff should I be doing with it?
You should be connecting it to your own server running LMS and have at least the BBC iplayer plugin from Triode and perhaps his Spotify plugin as well. You should also be controlling it with iPeng on your iPhone or iPad (iPeng also turns your device into a player as well).
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 10-05-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Definitely the former Max.

Zebra - can you say that all again slower and easier to understand?

I do have LMS on my main computer, that's where I'm getting the feed of music from which I put on random.

I use logitechs own app to control. Is iPeng dramatically better?

I'll try to have a look into your suggestions myself too.
AO Silver Member

Bazza
The BBC iPlayer plugin is downloaded via the plugin page of LMS. It allows you to listen live to all stations and all the on-demand stuff without involving my squeezebox.com.
IMHO iPeng is better and turns the iDevice into a player in its own right. Logitech app is pretty good though.

County: -

Member car:

Car

Idea

Wow - that's awesome. I'm in a similar pickle (that's how I found this thread), where I just need another unit to grow / expand into a different zone. I'm at the age now where I just don't have time to fiddle, but don't feel like paying the pirates' ransom some of these sellers on eBay are asking, so I'm looking for alternatives for SqueezeBox.

The most similar one I found is this guy - OpenSqueeze : Alternative SqueezeBox Music Players - which seems to be a SqueezeBox clone. Would be great since I already have a few Duets around the house and a touch in the kids' room... would hate to have to start from scratch!

Last edited by Mr.Alfalfa; 23-10-13 at 13:11. Reason: Ninja Edit to chop down auto generated url
(Post Link) post #25 of 26 Old 23-10-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Never returned to this at the time.

I confirm iPeng is excellent. Seems more stable than Logitech's own offering too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
replacement , squeezebox , touch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page