In hi-fi heaven tonight - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

 
Thread Tools
RSK
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
In hi-fi heaven tonight

Back in my student days I was big hi-fi buff, spent months saving up to buy a NAD 3020i amp, Marantz CD50SE and some JPW minims along with the requisite cables etc before I headed off to uni.

After that through a combination of A) being skint as I started my way in life and B) the fact that when I finally had a few quid I got into AV kit more than pure music I let this hobby slip. Don't get me wrong have always been a big music lover but for the past few years have been using a combination of iPods and Sonos multi room kit rather than any dedicated separates just for music.

Anyway today I decided to treat myself and rectify that situation and have just spent a very enjoyable hour or two setting up and fiddling with the following which all arrived this afternoon in various exciting brown boxes:

Cyrus 6 DAC/Amp

Cyrus CD-T Transport

Liv Zen Vortexbox music server

Dali Mentor Menuet speakers

Have also plugged one of the Sonos units directly into the Cyrus DAC and the whole thing is absolutely amazing. The speakers and amp need a three day running in period but even a couple of hours in they sound absolutely stellar. In this age of compressed music and tinny headphones it's easy to forget just how good music sounds when played in uncompressed format, either as digital file or from a CD.

Wife and kids are away for the weekend which means hours of fun for me this weekend as I sift through all kinds of musical stuff from yesteryear
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nice.

I remember the Minims, and the amazing sound they produced from such a small box. Those little Dalis look very similar.

Enjoy your weekend of musical lust while the missus is away!
 
crazycarb
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wow! "sounds" impressive. In my day, it was upto Tottenham court rd, to buy Garrard decks & celestion speakers.
 
RSK
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Nice.

I remember the Minims, and the amazing sound they produced from such a small box. Those little Dalis look very similar.

Enjoy your weekend of musical lust while the missus is away!
Thanks Max

Have started the day with an eclectic mix of Dr Dre, Elton John, George Harrison and Bon Jovi

The Minims were lovely little things best £109 I ever spent !
 
RSK
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post
Wow! "sounds" impressive. In my day, it was upto Tottenham court rd, to buy Garrard decks & celestion speakers.
Yep that used to be a favourite Saturday morning pastime of mine too - lots of demos of kit way out of my reach and always "thanks mate, I'll go away and have a think about it"
 
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Nice compact setup, I need to pickup with the stuff ive been bumbling about with again.
GhostyDog is offline  
RSK
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Nice compact setup, I need to pickup with the stuff ive been bumbling about with again.
It's an itch I'd been wanting to scratch for ages Ghosty - I suspect once you get some time to think about it you'll become an endless fiddler like me too........
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
100th_Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 14,827
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
It's an itch I'd been wanting to scratch for ages Ghosty - I suspect once you get some time to think about it you'll become an endless fiddler like me too........
Nice. Always wanted to try some Cyrus kit. I upgraded my speakers last year to Monitor Audio RS6 and put in a Cambridge Audio DacMagic used for a Sonos into Rocksan amp.

Love listening to different music.
100th_Idiot is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
It's an itch I'd been wanting to scratch for ages Ghosty - I suspect once you get some time to think about it you'll become an endless fiddler like me too........
I've been fiddling with audio gear since I was a kid, inherited a Marantz system off my dad in my teens when he upgraded. Still got the amp, beautiful bit of kit, lovely warm sound when coupled with a decent direct drive turntable. I used to have JVC L-A55 that i wish id never got rid of
GhostyDog is offline  
RSK
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just noticed you're on AVF as well Ghosty.

Have wasted hours of my life on there too......
 
Status: Nero has a new wheel
AO Member
 
J1JPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 381

Member car:

G MA TCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Back in my student days I was big hi-fi buff, spent months saving up to buy a NAD 3020i amp, Marantz CD50SE and some JPW minims along with the requisite cables etc before I headed off to uni.

After that through a combination of A) being skint as I started my way in life and B) the fact that when I finally had a few quid I got into AV kit more than pure music I let this hobby slip. Don't get me wrong have always been a big music lover but for the past few years have been using a combination of iPods and Sonos multi room kit rather than any dedicated separates just for music.

Anyway today I decided to treat myself and rectify that situation and have just spent a very enjoyable hour or two setting up and fiddling with the following which all arrived this afternoon in various exciting brown boxes:

Cyrus 6 DAC/Amp

Cyrus CD-T Transport

Liv Zen Vortexbox music server

Dali Mentor Menuet speakers

Have also plugged one of the Sonos units directly into the Cyrus DAC and the whole thing is absolutely amazing. The speakers and amp need a three day running in period but even a couple of hours in they sound absolutely stellar. In this age of compressed music and tinny headphones it's easy to forget just how good music sounds when played in uncompressed format, either as digital file or from a CD.

Wife and kids are away for the weekend which means hours of fun for me this weekend as I sift through all kinds of musical stuff from yesteryear
Nice set up,
J1JPE is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Just noticed you're on AVF as well Ghosty.

Have wasted hours of my life on there too......
Yup, i very nearly bought a set of B&W CDM 1NT speakers with stands a couple of months back off ebay, i had to use common sense though as i was out of work at the time, that said they went for a little over £400 which is an enormous bargain.

Theres plenty of really good 2nd hand kit to be had as serial upgraders who have to have the next best thing churn their audio gear.

Just gotta be a cagey ebayer, now im back in work i'll be looking for something tasty for my listening setup, budgeting around a couple of grand. I've always liked the look of Gallo A'Divas, and they review well independently, so I might go down that route, need to get myself to somewhere I can have a listen.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Last edited by GhostyDog; 14-04-13 at 15:20.
GhostyDog is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
heaven , hifi , tonight

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome