In hi-fi heaven tonight - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

RSK

In hi-fi heaven tonight

Back in my student days I was big hi-fi buff, spent months saving up to buy a NAD 3020i amp, Marantz CD50SE and some JPW minims along with the requisite cables etc before I headed off to uni.

After that through a combination of A) being skint as I started my way in life and B) the fact that when I finally had a few quid I got into AV kit more than pure music I let this hobby slip. Don't get me wrong have always been a big music lover but for the past few years have been using a combination of iPods and Sonos multi room kit rather than any dedicated separates just for music.

Anyway today I decided to treat myself and rectify that situation and have just spent a very enjoyable hour or two setting up and fiddling with the following which all arrived this afternoon in various exciting brown boxes:

Cyrus 6 DAC/Amp

Cyrus CD-T Transport

Liv Zen Vortexbox music server

Dali Mentor Menuet speakers

Have also plugged one of the Sonos units directly into the Cyrus DAC and the whole thing is absolutely amazing. The speakers and amp need a three day running in period but even a couple of hours in they sound absolutely stellar. In this age of compressed music and tinny headphones it's easy to forget just how good music sounds when played in uncompressed format, either as digital file or from a CD.

Wife and kids are away for the weekend which means hours of fun for me this weekend as I sift through all kinds of musical stuff from yesteryear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

Nice.

I remember the Minims, and the amazing sound they produced from such a small box. Those little Dalis look very similar.

Enjoy your weekend of musical lust while the missus is away!

crazycarb

Wow! "sounds" impressive. In my day, it was upto Tottenham court rd, to buy Garrard decks & celestion speakers.

RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Nice.

I remember the Minims, and the amazing sound they produced from such a small box. Those little Dalis look very similar.

Enjoy your weekend of musical lust while the missus is away!
Thanks Max

Have started the day with an eclectic mix of Dr Dre, Elton John, George Harrison and Bon Jovi

The Minims were lovely little things best £109 I ever spent !

RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post
Wow! "sounds" impressive. In my day, it was upto Tottenham court rd, to buy Garrard decks & celestion speakers.
Yep that used to be a favourite Saturday morning pastime of mine too - lots of demos of kit way out of my reach and always "thanks mate, I'll go away and have a think about it"

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Nice compact setup, I need to pickup with the stuff ive been bumbling about with again.
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Nice compact setup, I need to pickup with the stuff ive been bumbling about with again.
It's an itch I'd been wanting to scratch for ages Ghosty - I suspect once you get some time to think about it you'll become an endless fiddler like me too........

AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
It's an itch I'd been wanting to scratch for ages Ghosty - I suspect once you get some time to think about it you'll become an endless fiddler like me too........
Nice. Always wanted to try some Cyrus kit. I upgraded my speakers last year to Monitor Audio RS6 and put in a Cambridge Audio DacMagic used for a Sonos into Rocksan amp.

Love listening to different music.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been fiddling with audio gear since I was a kid, inherited a Marantz system off my dad in my teens when he upgraded. Still got the amp, beautiful bit of kit, lovely warm sound when coupled with a decent direct drive turntable. I used to have JVC L-A55 that i wish id never got rid of
RSK

Just noticed you're on AVF as well Ghosty.

Have wasted hours of my life on there too......

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

G MA TCT

Quote:
Back in my student days I was big hi-fi buff, spent months saving up to buy a NAD 3020i amp, Marantz CD50SE and some JPW minims along with the requisite cables etc before I headed off to uni.

After that through a combination of A) being skint as I started my way in life and B) the fact that when I finally had a few quid I got into AV kit more than pure music I let this hobby slip. Don't get me wrong have always been a big music lover but for the past few years have been using a combination of iPods and Sonos multi room kit rather than any dedicated separates just for music.

Anyway today I decided to treat myself and rectify that situation and have just spent a very enjoyable hour or two setting up and fiddling with the following which all arrived this afternoon in various exciting brown boxes:

Cyrus 6 DAC/Amp

Cyrus CD-T Transport

Liv Zen Vortexbox music server

Dali Mentor Menuet speakers

Have also plugged one of the Sonos units directly into the Cyrus DAC and the whole thing is absolutely amazing. The speakers and amp need a three day running in period but even a couple of hours in they sound absolutely stellar. In this age of compressed music and tinny headphones it's easy to forget just how good music sounds when played in uncompressed format, either as digital file or from a CD.

Wife and kids are away for the weekend which means hours of fun for me this weekend as I sift through all kinds of musical stuff from yesteryear
Nice set up,
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Just noticed you're on AVF as well Ghosty.

Have wasted hours of my life on there too......
Yup, i very nearly bought a set of B&W CDM 1NT speakers with stands a couple of months back off ebay, i had to use common sense though as i was out of work at the time, that said they went for a little over £400 which is an enormous bargain.

Theres plenty of really good 2nd hand kit to be had as serial upgraders who have to have the next best thing churn their audio gear.

Just gotta be a cagey ebayer, now im back in work i'll be looking for something tasty for my listening setup, budgeting around a couple of grand. I've always liked the look of Gallo A'Divas, and they review well independently, so I might go down that route, need to get myself to somewhere I can have a listen.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Last edited by GhostyDog; 14-04-13 at 15:20.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
heaven , hifi , tonight

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page