The most overly complicated MacBook external DVD drive solution - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
The most overly complicated MacBook external DVD drive solution

Took a repair home with me with all the kit to fit a new 320GB hdd and the sodding slot drive doesnt work!! I get this alot with the macs and the customers either dont know, dont tell me or dont normally want to replace it as it doesnt get used.

I dont have any equipment at home and couldnt be bothered to drive down open up the shop and get a USB DVD drive so got an old Pentium 1 desktop out of the garage. Found an old usb to IDE adaptor in a draw, used the pentium 1 power supply to power the DVD player and sods law that doesnt work!!! So stripped my main desktop and used the DVD drive out of that - plugged the usb adaptor into the Mac held down 'C' and it works :-D currently installing Snow Leopard...

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior

Last edited by Laptop_Matt; 29-09-14 at 16:19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Can't beat a work around though
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Nice workaround, I usually use a Mac with a working drive and a FireWire cable myself!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I've done similar myself once when I transferred a secondary drive from an old computer to a new computer - but forgot to change some of the settings on the old one to take account of it having gone. Caused all sorts of errors that it wouldn't let me sort without the drive back.

So I put the two towers side by side, left the drive in the new one, powered by the new one, but the data cable attached to the old.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 21-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Nice workaround, I usually use a Mac with a working drive and a FireWire cable myself!
How does that work then? Mind you I had no firewire cable at home either - nor another Mac for that matter!
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
How does that work then? Mind you I had no firewire cable at home either - nor another Mac for that matter!
Boot the mac with working drive in 'Target Mode' by holding down the 'T' key during start up
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Boot the mac with working drive in 'Target Mode' by holding down the 'T' key during start up
And thats not the only one

Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
What he said, except the other way round. Boot the one you without the working drive in t while connected to the one with the working drive. Run the install disk and choose the hard drive of the connected mac to install the os on.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
What he said, except the other way round. Boot the one you without the working drive in t while connected to the one with the working drive. Run the install disk and choose the hard drive of the connected mac to install the os on.
No, don't think so.

Target Disk Mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

You said boot the mac with the working drive in target mode, so that article totally backs up what I was saying!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
You said boot the mac with the working drive in target mode, so that article totally backs up what I was saying!
"A Mac booted in Target Mode can be attached to the FireWire port of any other computer - Mac or PC - where it will appear as an external FireWire device. Hard drives within the target Mac, for example, can be formatted, partitioned, etc., exactly like any other external FireWire drive. Some computers will also make their internal CD/DVD drives and other peripheral hardware available to the host computer via FireWire."

So if you have a mac with a broken optical drive on which you want to transfer something from disk (as in the op's case), if you have a mac with a working optical drive you boot that one in target mode, insert a cd/dvd in its optical drive, connect via firewire or usb to the mac without the working optical drive and away you go

The mac booted in target mode behaves as an external drive

If that's what you were saying I totally agree
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I actually didn't know that it could make the optical drive available as it never has for me, so it would be more ideal to do it the other way round, but I concede that in some cases your method would work.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 24-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Learn somthing new every day, ill try it although just using an ext. dvd is easier. Cheers guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
complicated , drive , dvd , external , macbook , overly , solution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page