Why does my Dell not recognise the network !? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 16-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Why does my Dell not recognise the network !?

I've got an old Dell Inspiron, it's been running fine until recently. One day last week I fired her up to update the security software and do a few e-mails but she won't play ball! All I'm getting is limited access, in other words no internet access :headbang: The computer says it recognises the router but not the network! "Unknown Network" I've tried turning it off and on again, I've tried disconnecting completely from the network and then re-connecting. I don't understand what's going on ! Any ideas on how to fix it ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Have you tried rebooting the router?
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Did it stop working after updating the security software or did it stop working at the point that you turned it on?

What OS are you using?
Do you connect via DHCP?
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post
Have you tried rebooting the router?
Not yet, my Mac is working fine, so is my Kindle Fire. Could it just affect the Dell if it was a router problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Did it stop working after updating the security software or did it stop working at the point that you turned it on?

What OS are you using?
Do you connect via DHCP?
I think it happened after a Windows update, It's running XP with AVG Internet Security. The security programme does automatically update when I switch it on but it suddenly became 'Limited Access' after being on 'Sleep' mode for a while. Fine before, wouldn't do anything after.
I don't know what DHCP is Connected to the internet on a wireless local network via router on an ADSL line... if that makes any sense

EDIT: Could it be that Windows Defender Firewall was switched on by the Windows update and that is preventing access because its fighting with the AVG ?

Last edited by AlfaDrivingFan; 17-03-13 at 10:34.
AO Platinum Member

Try disabling avg, but if you connect wirelessly and if youve restarted everything, then try to renew your ip address by renewing the ip lease to rule out screwed up network config settings.

Release and Renew IP Addresses on Windows XP | 2000 | NT
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

If you are using wireless, try plugging it into the router with a cable. If the cable works, then it probably isn't a software issue caused by any updates.

I've seen situations at work where some laptops have switches on them which turn the wireless off and they have accidentally been pressed. There can also be function keys to do it as well.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 13-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I've tried everything suggested and then some :scratch:

I'm changing provider in about 10 days which means changing router, if I still cant get the 'puter to co-operate after that I'll have to get a geek to look at it

It's telling me something about the 'Gateway IP ping' failed, no idea what it means !

County: West Midlands
I had a similar thing happen after a batch of Windows OS updates some time ago on my Dell. Switched on after the updates and found no network access, yet a laptop and another older pc could browse the network fine. I used The Backup/Restore feature to put the machine back to a state prior to the updates. Machine then worked fine connecting to the internet. Try restoring to a date prior to the network loss and then switch off automatic updates (if they are switched on). Then its trial and error installing an update at a time until you find the one causing the problem. Once you find it, restore again prior to that update and then make sure you don't install that particular update again.

[Gateway = you router connection to your Internet provider. Basically the gateway from your pc to the internet. If you cannot ping your gateway you cant talk to the internet]
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
I've tried everything suggested and then some :scratch:

I'm changing provider in about 10 days which means changing router, if I still cant get the 'puter to co-operate after that I'll have to get a geek to look at it

It's telling me something about the 'Gateway IP ping' failed, no idea what it means !
That could be normal, some routers don't respond to ping for security reasons.

Ping comes from the glossary of sonar technology. You ping an address on your network to discover information about it in relation to your own machine on the network.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and post back what that says here.

Also did you try renewing your dhcp lease using the instructions i gave above?
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 14-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggies View Post
I had a similar thing happen after a batch of Windows OS updates some time ago on my Dell. Switched on after the updates and found no network access, yet a laptop and another older pc could browse the network fine. I used The Backup/Restore feature to put the machine back to a state prior to the updates. Machine then worked fine connecting to the internet. Try restoring to a date prior to the network loss and then switch off automatic updates (if they are switched on). Then its trial and error installing an update at a time until you find the one causing the problem. Once you find it, restore again prior to that update and then make sure you don't install that particular update again.

[Gateway = you router connection to your Internet provider. Basically the gateway from your pc to the internet. If you cannot ping your gateway you cant talk to the internet]

I'll try a restore tomorrow, I've tried everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
That could be normal, some routers don't respond to ping for security reasons.

Ping comes from the glossary of sonar technology. You ping an address on your network to discover information about it in relation to your own machine on the network.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and post back what that says here.

Also did you try renewing your dhcp lease using the instructions i gave above?
Followed the instructions, still no network access It keeps telling me 'unknown network' but recognises the router just fine. I still use it for stuff but without internet access it's quite limited as cannot send or receive e-mail.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Does it say "unknown network" or "unidentified network"?
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 26-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Problem solved I had been considering changing ISPs for a while, Virgin were quite poor all things considered. I saw a advert for BT Infinity and worked out it was cheaper . Transferred over a few days ago... what a difference! Gone from less than 1Mbps to over 25 Mbps !!! Changing my provider also sorted the Dell problem by happy coincidence, better broadband on all my machines Problem solved
Thanks for all the advice guys

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
dell , network , recognise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page