Spam being sent from my email address - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 09-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Madness Spam being sent from my email address

I got an email this morning alerting me to the fact my yahoo email address is sending out spam and viruses.

I have checked my sent folder and it doesn't appear to have come direct from my email account, and on checking message headers it seems to be coming from a user in the US who is spoofing my email address.

I have run malware and virus checks, and both came back negative, and I have also beein into my yahoo acount and changed all of the security settings and passwords etc..

Is there much else that I can do to stop this?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
No, there's nothing you can do
SCGT

Know a few folks that have been hit with this one .....usually starts with a link received from someone in your address book. Open it and they have your email and password. Google Mail has also been hit ....

(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Know a few folks that have been hit with this one .....usually starts with a link received from someone in your address book. Open it and they have your email and password. Google Mail has also been hit ....
Thanks for the help folks.

I am pretty sure I have not opened any dodgy links from people I don't know. Spam emails are usually easy enough to spot.

One of them looks to have come from [email protected]

So please feel free to sign that address up to all of the spam you can.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

It's actually very easy to send an email using somebody else's email address. You don't need to know the account's password. Often all you need is a valid account on a mail server and you can send using any email address using that account. Mail servers aren't always configured with a valid list of email addresses which they allow to send from.
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

My wife's yahoo account was hacked last weekend. The spammers IP address logged was from Peru.
You have to make sure they haven't left anything that could compromise you account again, such as links left in your signature etc. I followed this - Yahoo! Account Help | - SLN3417 - What to do if your account is sending spam

She's normally careful what she clicks on so we have no idea how its happened.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
It's actually very easy to send an email using somebody else's email address. You don't need to know the account's password. Often all you need is a valid account on a mail server and you can send using any email address using that account. Mail servers aren't always configured with a valid list of email addresses which they allow to send from.
Not even that, open your mail client, goto the settings and enter any address you want as the sender address. Any email you send will then "look like" it has come from that address as other mail clients use this setting as the display email address.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Not even that, open your mail client, goto the settings and enter any address you want as the sender address. Any email you send will then "look like" it has come from that address as other mail clients use this setting as the display email address.
Only if you use a CR4P ISP. The good ones don't let you do this.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
There does seem to be something of a recurring "yahoo" theme in the several false emails I and my partner have received in the last few days...all from people in our address book but copied to others who aren't.....and of course none of them actually sent by the apparent sender. Appears to be spam rather than malicious, and my virus checker hasn't found any issues, but its irritating........
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Definitely a Yahoo issue. Ive received several in the last week, all from Yahoo accounts and following same format. Do appear to be spam and not virus etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Yahoo don't lock down their SMTP servers properly - meaning in simistic terms if you know a legitimate yahoo email address it is easy to forge it as the sender email. The old adage of you pay for what you get applies.
Try spamming from a proper ISP ie one that you pay for and you will see the difference.
Of the free email providers Google / Gmail is the best by far.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
A mate of mine had his btinternet account hacked last week....
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 11-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Well this is happening again.

None of the emails are actually coming from my email account, but my address is being spoofed so that it looks like it is coming from me.

I didn't want to loose my yahoo address as I have had it a while and many of my friends use it to contact me, but it is getting to the stage where it is unuseable.

If I send anyone a legitimate email now I end up in their spam folder.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Well this is happening again.

None of the emails are actually coming from my email account, but my address is being spoofed so that it looks like it is coming from me.

I didn't want to loose my yahoo address as I have had it a while and many of my friends use it to contact me, but it is getting to the stage where it is unuseable.

If I send anyone a legitimate email now I end up in their spam folder.
Not a great solution but have you thought about setting up the disposable e-mail addresses or adding an alias so you can still keep the account and receive with one address but send with the other?
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 11-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I haven't thought about that, but I will look into it.

Thanks.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I use it to sign up to websites so that if I start getting spam from them I can just delete the disposable address. I group some together. It's a handy and often-overlooked feature that some people just can't be bothered with.
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I use it to sign up to websites so that if I start getting spam from them I can just delete the disposable address. I group some together. It's a handy and often-overlooked feature that some people just can't be bothered with.
To sign up to websites, I use Disposable Temporary E-Mail Address so I don't even have to bother about spam being sent to that address as it self deletes after a pre-set delay.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
To sign up to websites, I use Disposable Temporary E-Mail Address so I don't even have to bother about spam being sent to that address as it self deletes after a pre-set delay.
It's easy enough to use in one place and sometimes I might want to keep access to the address. I can re-create them if I choose to as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
address , email , spam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page