rooting an android device - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
rooting an android device

Anyone done it?

I'm tempted to root my Nexus 7 as it may give me a bit more functionality, is it worth the hassle (or maybe it is straightforward?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

We've got 5 lying around at work, we might just give it ago.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Let me know how you get on Tom. I'm a bit twitchy of the instructions as 'phone seems to be interchangeable with Nexus. Also not sure how much I need to do, for example I'm trying to get an old laptop sorted and the quickest way to get the drivers I need (wireless lan) would be to download to nexus via internet and then plug it in a USB device.
AO Member

Member car:

2.4 Spider

On xda forum there's a nexus root tool that does all nexus models tablet or phone, just a couple of clicks and its all done in a few mins. Done to mine but not done all that much with it due to time... every Google update (couple of months apart) resets it and you have to do it again
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCSSSDDD View Post
.. every Google update (couple of months apart) resets it and you have to do it again
Oh man, what a pita
AO Member

Member car:

2.4 Spider

I say resets - it removes the root but leaves your apps. They just won't run properly until you redo it - was running a Linux desktop on mine and it stopped that puzzled me at first!
keithyboy

I'm going to try it on my xperia once it's out of warranty. As noted in my other thread, it's getting to be memory critical due to all the **** on there I don't want or use.

mudhut

Thinking about doing this to my HTC Wildfire PoS but I don't want to brick it or make it any more unreliable than it already is.

Same reason as you KB - not enough built-in memory for all the guff I have.

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
The chance of bricking your phone is slim. In terms of ROM, there are tried and tested ones which you can download. The speed difference is generally very noticeable and worth while. Personally I wouldnt do it on the new devices because I find them quick enough. Depends what you are rooting for i gues
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I'm going to try it on my xperia once it's out of warranty. As noted in my other thread, it's getting to be memory critical due to all the **** on there I don't want or use.
Keith - is there no facility to do a factory reset to free up the memory again, or even an uninstall facility?

I've just handed my "old" galaxy ace to my daughter and all i did was back up all the contacts to the sim card, copy the contents of the SD card to my PC and then reset it; the Ace seems to have a new lease of life!

Last edited by stan laurel; 03-03-13 at 18:54.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
Keith - is there no facility to do a factory reset to free up the memory again, or even an uninstall facility?

I've just handed my "old" galaxy ace to my daughter and all i did was back up all the contacts to the sim card, copy the contents of the SD card to my PC and then reset it; the Ace seems to have a new lease of life!
There are two as it happens. There's a factory reset which bins off everything and a sort of reset lite which bins off everything but keeps your apps and settings. I've done this and it's freed up enough space for the time being. I'll do the full one when I have sifficient spare time and brain capacity to reinstall everything.

I think rooting is the future though because I don't want crappy golf games, youtube, iplayer, standard browser, standard email app etc. etc.

The beer went down very well over the weekend. Any joy with the misfire?

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
The beer went down very well over the weekend. Any joy with the misfire?
excelente

afraid ive not had chance to look yet -- i might be struggling without that ribe key, but its going in for an MOT this week, so i might ask them to change it over while its in

cheers again keith -- and it was nice to meet a fellow forum member at last

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
android , device , rooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page