Apple TV3 with iPhone 4S - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 29-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Apple TV3 with iPhone 4S

Does anybody own the above?

I am considering adding some kind of Catch Up TV capable device to the TV in our bedroom. A YouView box is closest to what I really want but I can't justify £300. The YouView isn't quite the complete solution anyway as it currently doesn't stream content from a computer or NAS.

So I have been researching the market and the only other device (apart from a PC) that carries all of the CatchUp TV players is an iPad or iPhone. I know that the Apple TV allows you to Air Play content from your iThingy but ...

a) does it really work? Picture quality wise, stuttering etc
b) is it HD quality ?
c) do all the iPlayers work - BBC, ITV, C4 & 5 ?

Anybody got any experience of this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Would this work as an alternative?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/193118...7Cprd:19311800

I've not done any research to see how it would integrate though, you'd need a mediaserver that can stream the content you want.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 31-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Would this work as an alternative?

Play.com - Buy online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

I've not done any research to see how it would integrate though, you'd need a mediaserver that can stream the content you want.
Nope. There are loads of such devices but NONE have all of the Catch Up players due to licensing issues. My research shows that the only hardware device that has BBC, ITV, C4 & 5 capability is the You View box. Sky don't have 4 yet. Sony & Samsung Smart TVs are also missing 4 and/or 5. The Sony NMP-100 doesn't have ITV, 4 or 5. Upgrades are promised but have yet to materialise. iThingy's and Androids on the other hand have all the players but no means (apart from Apple TV) of displaying on a TV
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Nope. There are loads of such devices but NONE have all of the Catch Up players due to licensing issues. My research shows that the only hardware device that has BBC, ITV, C4 & 5 capability is the You View box. Sky don't have 4 yet. Sony & Samsung Smart TVs are also missing 4 and/or 5. The Sony NMP-100 doesn't have ITV, 4 or 5. Upgrades are promised but have yet to materialise. iThingy's and Androids on the other hand have all the players but no means (apart from Apple TV) of displaying on a TV
Well, you got two choices...

Patience and Apple

(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 31-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Well, you got two choices...

Patience and Apple

I don't have a lot of the first and I don't trust Apple to work unless someone tells me it does or I see it for myself.
daveb257

Apple TV works fine with any of our i things,
You can get a composite lead to connect iPhone to a TV,

(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 31-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Dave. Does it really work? ie if I fire up BBC iplayer on my phone and then hit the airplay button what sort of performance can I expect? HD? Stuttering? Or would you say it is fully usable? MOTD would be a good benchmark.
RSK

I had a try of this last night for you using an Iphone 5 and Apple TV2 hooked up to a 32" screen. I've also used some, but not all of the catch-up apps with an ATV 3 anda 46" tv in a different room, the reason for the "some" will become apparent.

When it works it works well, if you have decent wi-fi and the catch up itself natively supports airplay then it's a great solution, PQ is good and motion is no problem. The unfortunate thing is that only iPlayer and Demand % support Airpaly natively. For ITV player and 4OD you need to use Airplay mirroring to see anything. ITV Player works fine over mirroring PQ and SQacceptable but not as good with the native apps whilst 4OD has a safeguard which won't let the app stream even via mirroring and a screen comes up stating that the 4OD app does not support conection to a TV.

Last edited by RSK; 01-02-13 at 14:11.

(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
I had a try of this last night for you using an Iphone 5 and Apple TV2 hooked up to a 32" screen. I've also used some, but not all of the catch-up apps with an ATV 3 anda 46" tv in a different room, the reason for the "some" will become apparent.

When it works it works well, if you have decent wi-fi and the catch up itself natively supports airplay then it's a great solution, PQ is good and motion is no problem. The unfortunate thing is that only iPlayer and Demand % support Airpaly natively. For ITV player and 4OD you need to use Airplay mirroring to see anything. ITV Player works fine over mirroring PQ and SQacceptable but not as good with the native apps whilst 4OD has a safeguard which won't let the app stream even via mirroring and a screen comes up stating that the 4OD app does not support conection to a TV.
Thanks for that. Exactly the informed feedback I was looking for. It seems that it isn't the perfect solution for me. I shall have to save some penny's for a You View box then.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
apple , iphone , tv3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page