Roberts i-stream Revival - best present ever! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 24-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Thumbs Up Roberts i-stream Revival - best present ever!

Well maybe I am easily pleased, but my wife gave me a Roberts i-stream Revival digital radio for my birthday. Being new to digital/internet radio, this thing is brilliant!

Not only does it look cool in its "leather" case, but it streams radio stations from our wifi. Came with a 30day voucher for Last.fm, which is superb. You set up an account and put in all your favourite artists, genre's etc etc, then connect the radio to the account and hey presto it selects tunes it thinks you will like. If you like them, you can "love" them, or "ban" them at a press of a button. And no adverts!

Had a great evening just waiting for what next it would play. After first month, it costs £3 a month which is pretty good.

Sound is also good for a little radio, it plays FM radio, DAB, aux in, USB port.

Loving it.

(She also gave me a full day off roading course in my own Defender, which is also v.v. cool! - I'm a lucky boy!)

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I didn't know they'd upgraded it with iRadio support

We have the none i version in a cream colour, it's a great looking and well made radio, it's difficult to find stuff nice like that with a period style, most of the stuff out there is just plastic tat.

I got a Ruark R1 Mk II for crimbo off the wife, that's a great piece of kit too, I plan to complement them both and my other HiFi gear with a SONOS streaming system controlled from an iPad Mini
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
IMHO the king of the streaming world remains the Squeezebox range even though the ****s at Logitech have discontinued the players. I have 4 SBs of various sorts dotted around the house / office but I also other streaming players of various sorts - an old Freecom Musicpal (great bit of kit), a Revo Internet Radio, as well as a PS3 and a Smart TV and a Laptop permanently connected to hi fi via USB DAC.
All of them can connect to the Internet and also to my QNAP NAS either via DLNA or in the case of the SBs to the Logitech Media Server running on the NAS.
Only the SBs do exactly what I want. Each of the others have at least one quirk / oddity that stops them getting 5 stars.
The Musicpal, Revo & TV don't play tracks in the correct order. They all see album tracks alphabetically. The PS3 sees albums correctly ie it reads the tags properly but it's big downside is you need the TV on to control it (yes I know you can use Sony handheld console but I don't have any other need for one of them).
The laptop is OK if I run Squeezeplay but it is really a waste of a laptop as just a media player. I have it hooked up to my hi fi to digitise vinyl.
I know that Sonos will do what SBs do but they are a) expensive and b) white - all my hifi kit around the house is black and to switch I'd have to buy 4 of them.
Music Streaming is a fascinating subject as there are so many options available not to mention the dozen or so audio file formats to test your powers of analysis.
I love it.
AO Platinum Member

I'm hearing you on the SONOS pricing, they seem to be capitalising on their market monopoly, for what I have in mind I;d need 4 connect devices @ £279 each

As an alternative this looks interesting...

Kinsky

Need to look at alternative media presentation devices...
AO Silver Member

Seen that before Sean. It's DLNA/uPnP so will work with most stuff but not SQueezebox or Sonos methinks
AO Platinum Member

AO Silver Member

Interesting.
I don't think Bluetooth is really hifi it is lossy even if what you are playing is lossless.
If you want to stream from iThingys then the consensus seems to be either
a) Air Play (standard wifi so bits are reassembled without loss) or
b) Dock connected digitally 24/192 capable
The most flexible bit of kit that does both of these is Onkyo DS A5 - itching to get one just to try it but can't justify it at present. An air play adapter and dock with both digital and analogue outs.
In my case I would run iPeng on my iPhone and stream via air play to my AV Receiver or Hi Fi. iPeng is an app that controls Squeezeboxes but is also a player in its own right. It will stream lossless to air play if the source is lossless.
AO Platinum Member

I'n not fussed about the bluetooth, i'll be implementing a nas with upnp/dlna media server on it and the audio relay could then be the receiver, it should work with the linn upnp control software as that looks much nicer than arctics too.

On my hifi kit I'd use the toslink to uplink and on the radios I'd use a phono to 3.5 mm jack and just plug it in to the auxiliary input.

It's wireless N as well (read it in a review) so should be pretty performant in my house with 2 foot think walls.

Still need to add one of these to my home network to expand my wifi coverage as well.

DrayTek Vigor AP-800 PoE Wireless Access Point

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

Those Draytek WAPs are absolutely brilliant. Have used them in a number of places. Draytek Routers & WAPs have my vote every time.
AO Silver Member

Have you seen the Arctic player at a UK shop anywhere? If so what is UK pricing?
It has all the hallmarks of an Air Play adapter like the Onkyo but Air Play isn't mentioned in the blurb.

Last edited by biggreenzebra; 27-01-13 at 22:02.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Those Draytek WAPs are absolutely brilliant. Have used them in a number of places. Draytek Routers & WAPs have my vote every time.
I agree, been using their kit professionally and at home for years.

Quote:
Have you seen the Arctic player at a UK shop anywhere? If so what is UK pricing?
Plenty of online resellers, its approx £60-80

Arctic Cooling DPAEQ-WA001-GBA03 Audio Relay Wireless Media Extender 1

I'm looking at this as an alternative to readynas, never used one before though, so no experience.

http://www.synology.com/products/spe...g=uk#p_submenu
AO Silver Member

404 on that first linky
My son has a Synology NAS. He uses it to stream movies and says it good kit. I have no direct knowledge of it but I do know it is in the QNAP category. I have mixed views on ReadyNAS - can't argue with price and build quality but do find them slow and underpowered.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
404 on that first linky
My son has a Synology NAS. He uses it to stream movies and says it good kit. I have no direct knowledge of it but I do know it is in the QNAP category. I have mixed views on ReadyNAS - can't argue with price and build quality but do find them slow and underpowered.
Works fine for me, it's the google shopping link, you can also buy it direct from them, shipped from hong kong at USD price of $70, at the current exchnage rate thats £45

There is a new ReadyNAS V2 where they've addressed the performance issues by dropping the atom architecture for an ARM chipset running at 1.6Ghz, I believe you can also upgrade the onboard memory as I've seen them for sale on ebay with ram upgraded to 1GB.
AO Silver Member

As a quirky alternative what about a Pi as an Air Play receiver?
Adding AirPlay to a Receiver without an Apple TV - Raspbmc and the Raspberry Pi - Scott Hanselman
AO Platinum Member

Just ordered one of those Arctic thinigies so we shall see what we shall see, I can try it out running with a server on a PC first before buying a NAS.
AO Silver Member

Shall look forward to your review.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Shall look forward to your review.
And... it's just turned up, once I've got it all up and running and had a play I'll post up a review, already very surprised by the size of it it's tiny.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
istream , present , revival , roberts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page