Help needed on Internet Explorer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Help Help needed on Internet Explorer

I am getting very frustrated. I have recently renewed my licence for Kaspersky Internet Security and updated to Internet Security 2013. Ever since my browser, Internet Explorer, has had a serious case of the slows. It is taking minutes to load any page although it get there in the end. It is not our broadband connection as my wife's Mac is accessing the same websites as normal. I have tried with the Kaspersky disabled and there is no change. I have reset IE to the default settings and it made no difference. I am now stuck not being an expert and hope someone can make a few suggestions.

Please bear with me since even accessing this website takes time as the index page has to load before you can get to a thread so it can take ages to find any possible replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 31 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I took the hint from VO2Max's thread and installed Firefox so at least I am up to speed

However I would still like to know what has gone wrong
VO2Max

Glad I could be of help in our mutual plight!

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Stab in the dark here. Kaspersky could be scanning sites in real time or running an add on. In the start menu there should be an Internet explorer (no add ons).

Try that, is a stripped down IE that disables all the extra bumf you get. If it works normally you have an add on or 'accelerator' that is slowing you down.
VO2Max

Could that apply to AVG too, because I'm having the same problem?

VO2Max

Just tried going to IE default settings - still no good .

(Post Link) post #7 of 31 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Could only find the standard IE in the start menus. Checked the settings and plugins seem to be disabled.

I think I need to contact Kaspersky and ask for their comments
(Post Link) post #8 of 31 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Kaspersky Technical only work normal office hours so a request for advice is in but will have to wait for a reply.

In the meantime I have also installed Google Chrome. This seems to work as well, if not better, than Firefox.

Has anyone any comments on preference or reasons for using one browser over another? Or, indeed, any suggestions for an alternative if IE is going to continue being trouble.

Just noticed that with Chrome there seems to be an automatic spell check (at least on these pages)
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
Stab in the dark here. Kaspersky could be scanning sites in real time or running an add on. In the start menu there should be an Internet explorer (no add ons).

Try that, is a stripped down IE that disables all the extra bumf you get. If it works normally you have an add on or 'accelerator' that is slowing you down.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
I am getting very frustrated. I have recently renewed my licence for Kaspersky Internet Security and updated to Internet Security 2013. Ever since my browser, Internet Explorer, has had a serious case of the slows. It is taking minutes to load any page although it get there in the end. It is not our broadband connection as my wife's Mac is accessing the same websites as normal. I have tried with the Kaspersky disabled and there is no change. I have reset IE to the default settings and it made no difference. I am now stuck not being an expert and hope someone can make a few suggestions.

Please bear with me since even accessing this website takes time as the index page has to load before you can get to a thread so it can take ages to find any possible replies
Scrap it.

Remove Kaspersky.

Install Chrome. Install Windows Defender.

IE is not a good browser. It's the runt of the browser litter.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I've used Firefox for a long time now & haven't found anything better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browser.jpg (21.6 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The problems with IE are that MS sit down with others and agree a set of standards which they then fail to apply to IE properly. It is the dominant browser due to MS monopoly position and a degree of ignorance. If you know anything about web design you will know that developers have to code little hacks for the various versions of IE in their CSS for this reason. Something that is coded correctly and works in IE8, FF, Chrome, Safari etc is not guaranteed to work in IE9 without modification.
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
The problems with IE are that MS sit down with others and agree a set of standards which they then fail to apply to IE properly. It is the dominant browser due to MS monopoly position and a degree of ignorance. If you know anything about web design you will know that developers have to code little hacks for the various versions of IE in their CSS for this reason. Something that is coded correctly and works in IE8, FF, Chrome, Safari etc is not guaranteed to work in IE9 without modification.
That's me. I have a laptop with Windows so, therefore, the Microsoft browser must surely work best. Up to now nothing has happened to make me change this basic viewpoint.

With your, and others, advice I may well learn to not be so trusting and select the most appropriate browser. However one says Chrome but another says Firefox and there are lots of others to chose from. Conflicting advice that I will have to experiment with.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Firefox, Chrome or Opera and I suppose IE is just down to preference. In IT most folk seem to shy away from IE now. Not always been the case.
VO2Max

I downloaded and tried Chrome for about 5 mins but my 'browsing experience' was immediately filled with annoying pop-ups. If I'd persevered for 10mins maybe I'd have found how to get rid of them but I was so peed off I just downloaded Firefox and everything seems easy and I'm not being attacked by a load of cr4p I didn't ask for.

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
stab in the dark here. Kaspersky could be scanning sites in real time or running an add on. In the start menu there should be an internet explorer (no add ons).

Try that, is a stripped down ie that disables all the extra bumf you get. If it works normally you have an add on or 'accelerator' that is slowing you down.
+1 also disable windows firewall etc as the two or any two for that matter can cause conflicts.

Last edited by cree; 19-01-13 at 19:51.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
Scrap it.

Remove Kaspersky.

Install Chrome. Install Windows Defender.

IE is not a good browser. It's the runt of the browser litter.
Kaspersky is one of the best you can buy for internet security.
(Post Link) post #18 of 31 Old 24-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Initial response from Kaspersky is that they are not aware of a problem

Quote:
Dear customer,

There shouldn't be any incompatibilities with IE. In order to confirm the possible reason for your current issue, we need to see “log reports” from your machine. To produce the required log reports, please follow the procedure(s) below:
Log reports have been produced and sent back. When I get further info I will post again. In the meantime I am slowly getting used to Chrome
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Honda Civic

Quote:
That's me. I have a laptop with Windows so, therefore, the Microsoft browser must surely work best. Up to now nothing has happened to make me change this basic viewpoint.

With your, and others, advice I may well learn to not be so trusting and select the most appropriate browser. However one says Chrome but another says Firefox and there are lots of others to chose from. Conflicting advice that I will have to experiment with.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
This is an incorrect conclusion. Install Chrome and find out.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Try them all and stick with the one you like best, be aware that most of them bundle other software in the installers that may be automatically installed if you just click next, next, next in the installation wizard, like toolbars and desktop widget bobbins.

Most home PCs are a law unto themselves anyway, multiple users all with admin rights downloading and installing any old cack they find on the internet without thinking how it might impact the rest of the system and the applications other users want to use.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Try them all and stick with the one you like best, be aware that most of them bundle other software in the installers that may be automatically installed if you just click next, next, next in the installation wizard, like toolbars and desktop widget bobbins.
Browsers also come bundled with other software - I missed a checkbox somewhere & found Chrome had installed itself! Tried it for a few minutes out of curiosity & then uninstalled it - not impressed.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Browsers also come bundled with other software - I missed a checkbox somewhere & found Chrome had installed itself! Tried it for a few minutes out of curiosity & then uninstalled it - not impressed.
I use Chrome for some things Explorer for others, some sites only work in one or the other.

Regardless of browser, if a site doesn't work properly that's down to the developer of the site, not the browser.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

This is a brilliant site to Download Software. It strips all the extras out that you really don't want, such as Toolbars etc.

Just select the ones you want, start it going and head for a cup of coffee, it will do it all for you. I've used it a fair bit and can recommend it.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once
(Post Link) post #24 of 31 Old 28-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post

Most home PCs are a law unto themselves anyway, multiple users all with admin rights downloading and installing any old cack they find on the internet without thinking how it might impact the rest of the system and the applications other users want to use.
So far I have installed Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox seems to work a bit jerkily so I am currently using Chrome. Seems OK but it would be nice if I could have all my favourites in a list down the side of the page rather than a limited number across the top of the page. I have looked but cannot find a way of moving them. Am I missing something?

I don't have a problem with multiple users. It's my laptop and anyway SWMBO prefers her Apple Mac and iPad to Windows
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
So far I have installed Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox seems to work a bit jerkily so I am currently using Chrome. Seems OK but it would be nice if I could have all my favourites in a list down the side of the page rather than a limited number across the top of the page. I have looked but cannot find a way of moving them. Am I missing something?

I don't have a problem with multiple users. It's my laptop and anyway SWMBO prefers her Apple Mac and iPad to Windows
This might help, there are lots of addons for Chrome.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
explorer , internet , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page